With the PO in default, will there soon be great oppurtunity for UPS to take over???

bluehdmc

Re: With the PO in default, will there soon be great oppurtunity for UPS to take over

To big to fail applies here. Government will never actually fix the problem, just talk about how it needs to be fixed. Not one of those elected officials will vote to make cuts in their own districts, just in everyone else's, this is why nothing will ever be done and it will continue to be shored up on our dime.

Sounds much like the US deficit huh, look how that's going regardless of your political side.

The USPS doesn't get any public monies, yet they still need the congressional approvals before they can do anything...........

The wanted to close/(consolidate) some post office, but people complained to their representatives and the only thing they can do is shorten the hours they're open. They have a mandate to run it like a business, and it's supposed to be self sustaining but their hands seem to be tied when they try to make sound business changes.

They service every address in the country for the same price for a first class letter. With the internet and online bill paying 1st class mail volume has dropped tremendously. All my creditors but one take online payments, so I don't have to put a check in an envelope and put a stamp on it. The ones that do take online payments seem to all want you to sign up for paperless billing. Discover currently has something about winning a free ipad a month or something for people who sign up.

The post office, the infrastructure, etc, etc. The country (and it seems most of the rest of the world, Greece, Spain, et al) is going to hell in a handbasket, yet no one seems to be able to make any hard decisions about anything because some special interest group is gonna start a letter writing campaign.

The first duty of a politician is to get elected, the second is to get reelected.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Re: With the PO in default, will there soon be great oppurtunity for UPS to take over

Does anyone know how much postal volume moves in and out of HWP (SDF) every night?

Catatonic

Nine Lives

The USPS doesn't get any public monies, yet they still need the congressional approvals before they can do anything...........

The wanted to close/(consolidate) some post office, but people complained to their representatives and the only thing they can do is shorten the hours they're open. They have a mandate to run it like a business, and it's supposed to be self sustaining but their hands seem to be tied when they try to make sound business changes.

The post office, the infrastructure, etc, etc. The country (and it seems most of the rest of the world, Greece, Spain, et al) is going to hell in a handbasket, yet no one seems to be able to make any hard decisions about anything because some special interest group is gonna start a letter writing campaign.

The first duty of a politician is to get elected, the second is to get reelected.

We all feel your pain.
While the US may have the best system doesn't mean it still doesn't suck.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think this default may be the "wake-up call" to finally let the USPS operate like any other business, with the ability to consolidate and/or close less than profitable branches and raises prices as needed.

barnyard

KTM rider

I think the default shows what is going to happen in the future to any business that offers a defined pension. Longer retirements = more payouts than what was deposited.

kingOFchester

Not much to contribute to this thread other then 90% plus of my mail goes right into the shredder.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think the default shows what is going to happen in the future to any business that offers a defined pension. Longer retirements = more payouts than what was deposited.

It is one thing to offer a defined benefit pension plan which, I agree, will soon become a thing of the past. It is quite another to require a business to fully fund such a plan today for employees who have yet to be hired.

overallowed

UPS could never handle their volume without a major expansion. If the Post Office goes, so does the ability to send inexpensive letters and such.
The word "inexpensive" is the whole problem here. The USPS sells their services for less than it costs to provide them.