Woman struck by and trapped under UPS truck files lawsuit

Returntosender

A woman who was trapped underneath a UPS truck for 30 minutes after the vehicle struck her in north suburban Evanston last month is suing the delivery company and driver.

Evanston police said at the time the woman was walking across Ashland Avenue at the Central Street crosswalk about 5 p.m. when a UPS truck, turning south onto Ashland, hit her.

The truck then rolled over her, pinning her body under its axle, where she was trapped for 30 minutes, the suit claims.

Z

ZQXC

Story doesn't add up. He knocked her down, parked on top of her for 30 minutes, and no one saw anything or heard anything.
C'mon man!

Z

ZQXC

“In addition, she missed her son’s first Christmas and other milestones mothers dream about experiencing with their children.”

Going for maximum payout.

Future

Victory Ride
As she should.

Scumbag? Jesus man she was run over by one of our drivers and put in a coma to save her life! So tell me if a FedEx guy drove over your wife you'd let it go right?
Hell ya about x wife gettin run over.............Maybe not in this case, but i am talking about the other thousands of alleged instances where people try scamming money in lawsuits against companys for a broken finger nail........yes scumbags

oldngray

nowhere special
Wasn't the story about the accident in an older thread? I remember reading about how they had to cut that woman out from under the truck.

Johney

Hell ya about x wife gettin run over.............Maybe not in this case, but i am talking about the other thousands of alleged instances where people try scamming money in lawsuits against companys for a broken finger nail........yes scumbags
I'd be willing to bet they would spend a million on lawyer fees to keep someone from getting a nickel on one of those types of lawsuits.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As I recall from when this first happened, it was around 5 pm, which means that it was dark, and our guy was wearing a hoodie, which may have limited his vision. I believe she was in a crosswalk when he struck her. The impact forced her under the pkg car and wrapped part of her body around the axle. At first he did not know what he had hit and kept on driving. He was immediately pulled from service. As was stated above, the victim was placed in to a medically induced coma to help her recover from her injuries.

There is no question that this lawsuit has merit. There is also no question that it will be settled out of court with the terms of that settlement undisclosed. The only question I have is whether the driver can be personally sued and potentially have his personal assets seized while performing duties for his employer.

10 point

As I recall from when this first happened, it was around 5 pm, which means that it was dark, and our guy was wearing a hoodie, which may have limited his vision. I believe she was in a crosswalk when he struck her. The impact forced her under the pkg car and wrapped part of her body around the axle. At first he did not know what he had hit and kept on driving. He was immediately pulled from service. As was stated above, the victim was placed in to a medically induced coma to help her recover from her injuries.

There is no question that this lawsuit has merit. There is also no question that it will be settled out of court with the terms of that settlement undisclosed. The only question I have is whether the driver can be personally sued and potentially have his personal assets seized while performing duties for his employer.
Does that option change from state to state?

If they can prove malicious intent or find a history of aggression in his work history via subpoena?

You can sue anyone for anything. Making your case stick is the issue.