won a combo bid, have some questions!

Hey guys...
I lurk on here all the time, but tonight I registered to get the scoop on a few things!
I recently found out that I won a bid I signed a couple weeks back. :happy-very:

PM Air Driver/Loader

Can someone give me the rundown on PM Air Driver and his day to day tasks?

*Should I expect to have a full blown 3-4 hour route? Or will I be "gainfully employed" until a call for an emergency air package comes in?
*How much time will I spend driving, and where will I be picking up/dropping off packages?
*Does the start time typically differ each day (1715-Mon, 1745-Tues etc) or can I expect to start at the same time all week?
*What happens if my first 4 hour shift is over, but the next shift does not start for a couple hours?
*Will I lose my $1 for sort certification? (I still do occasionally sort, although I am primarily a PSC clerk)
*How will my pay progression work since my regular part time wage is only two tiers away from top? When should I expect to see those last two raises.(I'm currently part time, so I am not coming from another combo/full time job)

Lastly, does anyone know if I truly am doomed to that loading position on the second shift? I have heard on multiple occasions that some 22.3 combo jobs can be made into whatever the Full Time sup and Sort Manager want them to be. I guess it cant hurt to ask, right?

I know thats a lot to be throwing out there, but I'd greatly appreciate any and all input. I'm all ears!

menotyou

bella amicizia
Air drivers start at $12.50, but after two years, you shoot to top rate. I think its about $24. the PM air driver here just shuttles the air pick-ups to the airport, then drives back. Buy an ipod, just don't let them see you wearing it.
You will be the night sort's "bitch", basically. Sorry, to be vulgar, but its true. Driving time depends on how far away the airport is. Don't know about the dollar.
If you have lag time between sorts, remember this---- You get paid to wait for work. They CAN NOT make you clock out, then clock back in. Right in the master contract.
No idea on the start time, it varies.

Good luck.

Air drivers start at $12.50, but after two years, you shoot to top rate. I think its about $24.
OK, so my part time rate is $20.07, including $1 for sort pay.
So I'm guessing that for X amount of months, I'll continue to make $20.07. in 24 months I'll go from 20.07 to top? (though I am sure there will be cola raises in there as well)
You will be the night sort's "bitch", basically. Sorry, to be vulgar, but its true.
I've been a load bitch, sort bitch, unload bitch, irreg bitch, PSC bitch, and just plain old bitch. I'm used to it. :biting::biting:

If you have lag time between sorts, remember this---- You get paid to wait for work. They CAN NOT make you clock out, then clock back in. Right in the master contract.
Its funny, because I have heard rumors of people sitting OFF CLOCK and waiting for hours. Im sure the 30 minute lunch is standard, but this will come in handy, thanks. Knowing how they run things a substantial gap between the two shifts seems unlikely!
Good to know, and thanks a lot for the info.

EDITED: I reread your comment about being night sorts bitch. Twilight is supposed to be the driving portion of my combo, if I remember right.. I'm supposed to be loading on night sort.
I feel at least a bit fortunate that I personally know and have worked with two of the full timers who are currently on night sort. Hopefully they will put me where I always did a bang up job for them- in PSC or Irregs. I need to find out who can make that call...and IF it can even be made.

menotyou

bella amicizia
OK, so my part time rate is $20.07, including $1 for sort pay.
So I'm guessing that for X amount of months, I'll continue to make $20.07. in 24 months I'll go from 20.07 to top? (though I am sure there will be cola raises in there as well)
Since you are above the progression, you will not get the cola raises. You might even drop down to $12.50.
I've been a load bitch, sort bitch, unload bitch, irreg bitch, PSC bitch, and just plain old bitch. I'm used to it. :biting::biting:
LOL!! I understand all too well!!

Its funny, because I have heard rumors of people sitting OFF CLOCK and waiting for hours. Im sure the 30 minute lunch is standard, but this will come in handy, thanks. Knowing how they run things a substantial gap between the two shifts seems unlikely!

Unless it was stated in your bid, it is one shift spent doing two jobs. If they tell you to clock out, say, "Have a good night, see you tomorrow."

Good to know, and thanks a lot for the info.
We don't have bid air jobs, so I might be wrong about a few things, but NOT about waiting for work. Not gonna happen.:nono2:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
You will lose pay rate going inside/outside.

Your inside pay will stay the same at 20/hr with the "sort/preload" rate.

Your outside pay will go down to around 13.50/hr, iirc, until 2 years where you reach top FT air driving rate.

I have been 22.3 FT since 2006.

Your air route will most likely be a pickup route, depending on what type of center you are in it could be just a few pickups to as many as **.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
We don't have bid air jobs, so I might be wrong about a few things, but NOT about waiting for work. Not gonna happen.:nono2:

You're incorrect there. There are places and jobs where two hour or greater lunches do occur. Also as a combo air/inside, you get paid for all time on-the-clock between jobs or duties that is not lunch or break. aka dead time. We get that here.

brett636

I was a combo PM air driver for 4 years in my building so maybe I can help. It seems a PM air driver is a little different from building to building. Here I had a pickup route that lasted about 3-4.5 hours(depending on route) picking up letter boxes and business next day air. I would return to the building and fill out the rest of my eight hours sorting, but in your case you will be loading. The pay rate is where it gets a little bit tricky to explain. You will in effect be making two pay rates. One pay rate for when you drive, and your inside rate which will be your current part time rate. When you first begin driving you will start at the bottom of the progression which I believe is $12.50/hr. and over a 2 year period will get to top rate which is currently just above $24/hr., but it will be $26/hr. by the time you reach it. Your inside pay rate will continue as though you never went fulltime. You will continue to get all the raises the part-timers get when they get it, and you don't top out since you are not in a progression as an inside employee. I hope this answers most of your questions, and feel free to ask me more and I will reply as I get time.

JonFrum

Read Contract Article 40. It's all there.

The two-year Full-time Air Driver progression starts at $13.50, goes to $14.50 upon achieving Seniority, then to $15.00 after one year, and $15.50 after 18 months.

The current Top Rate is $24.82. In two years the Top Rate will be $26.62.

- - - -

Your inside rate should be $20.07, (assuming that's your current inside part-time rate), and will increase as the split raises kick in. But if management is in a bad mood they may take away your "extra dollar" if you are loading trailers, rather than loading package cars or sorting.

menotyou

bella amicizia
You're incorrect there. There are places and jobs where two hour or greater lunches do occur. Also as a combo air/inside, you get paid for all time on-the-clock between jobs or duties that is not lunch or break. aka dead time. We get that here.
I just meant at our center. If you read the contract, it clearly says paid for time.

Any time in the service of your employer.......

I would be getting paid.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
No OT or Bonus.

I was averaging 2-5 hours a week OT. In one smaller building I worked, OT for 22.3 was seemingly against local policy, no OT allowed. While the hub here you can get OT as a combo, nearly as much as you want (esp high mile centers)

Look, it is all specific as to the center you are in whether or not you get OT, what type of air route or work you are doing, etc. Why even speculate. Are you even a FT 22.3? Unlikely.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I just meant at our center. If you read the contract, it clearly says paid for time.

Any time in the service of your employer.......

I would be getting paid.
hmm I think the op was saying 22.3s had dead time between shifts and were not getting paid....that is fairly common for air drivers (the dead time), the not getting paid part, aside.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Sleeve, my center doesn't have 22.3's or bid air routes. so, its hard for me to comprehend not getting paid while sitting around in browns. What is the dead time for? Why does it exist? How is it not time in service? Are you on call?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sleeve, my center doesn't have 22.3's or bid air routes. so, its hard for me to comprehend not getting paid while sitting around in browns. What is the dead time for? Why does it exist? How is it not time in service? Are you on call?

it depends on the bid job and what day it is. lol sometimes there can be dead time waiting at buildings/airports/meet points for other shuttles to arrive, sometimes there is dead time between the preload shift finishing early and when the drivers are leaving (mgmt running around getting drivers out and figuring out who needs help with airs)...there are other examples I am sure

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have two 22.3 combo drivers. One of them works his 40 and very rarely gets OT. The other often works more OT than I do. There have been days when due to there not being enough drivers he has been called in to ride with an on-car (and sometimes by himself) to cover an area.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Oh, my, is someone getting screwed. That is time in service. Period, end of discussion. I've been on call for 6 hrs before cuz the tarmac was to hot in Vegas. I got paid. My center manager was pissed, but he learned I know how to read a contract. He would make other people clock out to wait( before I was steward), but NEVER me. I ALWAYS got paid.