WOOHOO! Feeders here I come!

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
For exercise, go out and lift a dolly tongue 20 times one handed, each side. Then take the dolly, and make a 100 foot circle, towing the dolly by hand. After that workout, go eat a Jelly doughnut.

UPSBluRdg03

Coffee, donuts and sitting for hours on end will make you fat real quick.

Dont drink coffee and might eat 2 donuts a month so that wouldnt be a problem for me. Its either completly wear your body out in delivery for 30 years or have to pick up a gym membership to stay in shape in feeders. Like i said, feeders cant come soon enough.

NEFARIOUS

BOTTOM FEEDER
I have a group of other feeder drivers that I walk with on lunch to get some exercise and strech the legs....And yeah push that dolly around for a while that can be a "ton" of fun..Then count how many times you get in and out of your tractor a night you may be suprised....

over9five

Staff member
Another Feeder driver told me he always did 25 jumping jacks whenever he exited his tractor. Good idea, I thought, and I started doing it too. I also walked most of my lunch. One job I had I took my lunch every night at a high school, and just walked the track. When I had my lunch in CHEMA, I'd walk the building. You can always walk.

I lost weight in Feeders cuz I was so scared I'd gain weight!

trouble maker

you're fellow package car drivers will poke fun at you if you gain a little bit of weight. But remember, 90% of them are going to wish that they are you. Left package at 198lbs, feeders weighs in at 215lbs. Can't lose it, but I really don't try. Don't worry, be happy!!!:happy2:

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Just received the call today. Looks like I will be one of my area's newest feeder drivers (if I can make it through training and my first 30 days). Not too bad for a 28 year old who never spent a day in delivery!

:clap::clap::clap::balloon::balloon::balloon:

Congratulations on the good luck! I was just like you back in 1974, there was a feeder school and I was fortunate enough to qualify at 21 years old. I can still remember my 1st assigned tractor, #25733 a 1966 Diamond T. No A/C, no air ride seat, no radio, no power steering, no CB hook up, no turbo so not much power. It did have a seat belt!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Brett, please be alert at all times out there. We had an accident in our center this morning involving a feeder driver pulling a set of doubles on a busy two lane highway. Lady was coming toward him talking on her cell phone and drifted over the double yellow in to his lane. He flashed the lights, laid on the horn and went as far to the right as possible--in our center manager's words, he did everything right. The lady looked up at the last second, corrected to the right, caught the first trailer with her drivers side and the second with her rear bumper. They had to send an empty to relay the pkgs back to the center for the preload.

brett636

Brett, please be alert at all times out there. We had an accident in our center this morning involving a feeder driver pulling a set of doubles on a busy two lane highway. Lady was coming toward him talking on her cell phone and drifted over the double yellow in to his lane. He flashed the lights, laid on the horn and went as far to the right as possible--in our center manager's words, he did everything right. The lady looked up at the last second, corrected to the right, caught the first trailer with her drivers side and the second with her rear bumper. They had to send an empty to relay the pkgs back to the center for the preload.

Definitely will keep that in mind. The week the feeder list was put up all the centers had some pictures of a recent feeder accident that was thought provoking. The tractor was completely unrecognizable, and the reports were it took 3 hours to extract the driver. I don't know what happened as far as the accident was concerned or what became of the driver, but it is certainly something to keep in mind when driving around with all that weight in tow.

terrymac

sometimes at a truck stop, you might hear a feeder driver in the buffet line repeating: gravity is your friend , gravity is your friend...:happy-very: most truck stops have the wide doors for fat truck drivers.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Who's Jake? (jk)

Have only seen Jakes on a couple old CH's, and most don't work, would be nice to have though.

Not so useful in the snow, but very nice to have, especially in the mountains. Most of our RTD's (feeder drivers) don't know how to use one properly anyway.

paidover95

Good luck!The job is great,the hours blow.I hope you can sleep during the day.I also hope for your sake that you dont have the "walk around language" in your local.That makes being at the bottom the most difficult part of the job.

diesel96

Another Feeder driver told me he always did 25 jumping jacks whenever he exited his tractor.

After a long run up the road, when exiting the tractor, I do NASCAR's "Carl Edwards back flip" off the top side-step...... :rolleyes: Ok, you got me, so I exaggerated a little bit..... Usually, the first few things done after exiting the tractor is picking my underwear out of my butt, wipe the cookie crumbs off my uniform, and then stretch...

And depending on your location, the bad news is....new qualified Feeder Drivers may bounce back and forth week to week from packages to feeders, and pick their vacations dead last...

the good news is.....you'll most likely will never work another peak in packages....