Work boots question. Holiday hire.

Spydir

I was hired on for the holiday temp spots today. I was just called in for orientation at 9am tomorrow morning. I've barely had enough time to finish my W-2 and they said I am required to have my work boots for orientation. It's nearly 6:30pm, most shoe stores are going to be closing soon and to top it off I only have $42 to my name. Any help on where to buy cheap work boots to start me off, at least until I can afford a good worthwhile pair would be much appreciated.

Spydir

127642_6_1400x1400.jpg

Would these work? They're mostly leather, with mesh spots. Slip and oil resistant.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
My helper showed up in white kswiss as they handed him a uniform at orientation and sent him to me. Crazy part was he did not get on scuff on them all day.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Who cares about boots? My helper's pants ripped first stop of first day. He's been wearing sweatpants to work for three weeks. They told me we don't have any more helper pants!

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
My helper showed up in white kswiss as they handed him a uniform at orientation and sent him to me. Crazy part was he did not get on scuff on them all day.
He's not pushing himself, no one doesn't get a scuff at least. I can buy a air of shoes and the next day ill have a thread popping out.

Spydir

Much appreciate, glad to know I shouldn't get my hope up for the possible permanent job they said I might get. After seeing the responses I just went to Payless and bought a cheap pair of boots, just in case.

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
Sorry, that was rude of me. I've been a driver for over 25 years and I've never been asked to evaluate a helper for rehire after Christmas. Just keep checking on available jobs through UPSJobs.com and apply often.

Spydir

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha. LOL
Okay, I get it, man. No need to laugh at me. I'm just a guy in a new town, big city, trying to make a living just like everyone else. I've only worked for one other company, Walmart, which I was a holiday hire and pulled my weight enough to keep my job. I was there for quite a few years, until my recent move, and got tired of working for such a soul sucking company. Figured if I done it once I had a chance again. Plus, the HR lady said we could apply to attempt to continue our job with UPS.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Did you read the stickied post above that reads,"Read before posting" which has the following?:

Q What are the best work shoes/boots?
A This is a matter of opinion/preference and has been discussed several times. The most popular range from Redwings at the most expensive end of the spectrum to Nike ACG boots in the middle to the cheapest like New Balance NB608 or Sketchers Keystone work sneakers. All employees need to wear footwear that is sturdy and non-slip. Additionally drivers' shoes need to be black or brown and have a polishable upper. Make sure the shoe fits you well or you'll be more prone to blisters. Generally you get what you pay for with work shoes. One thing everyone here usually agrees upon is that you can't go wrong with adding Dr Sholl's massaging gel work insoles.

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/...ons-read-before-posting.359027/#ixzz3MDKYq3KY

As for where to get work shoes/boots at this hour, the Teamsters boycott Walmart because of the way they treat their employees, but if you're in a pinch and need shoes by the morning, there are 24 hour Walmarts all over the place. When you have another option it's advisable to shop elsewhere.

Spydir

Did you read the stickied post above that reads,"Read before posting" which has the following?:

Q What are the best work shoes/boots?
A This is a matter of opinion/preference and has been discussed several times. The most popular range from Redwings at the most expensive end of the spectrum to Nike ACG boots in the middle to the cheapest like New Balance NB608 or Sketchers Keystone work sneakers. All employees need to wear footwear that is sturdy and non-slip. Additionally drivers' shoes need to be black or brown and have a polishable upper. Make sure the shoe fits you well or you'll be more prone to blisters. Generally you get what you pay for with work shoes. One thing everyone here usually agrees upon is that you can't go wrong with adding Dr Sholl's massaging gel work insoles.

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/...ons-read-before-posting.359027/#ixzz3MDKYq3KY

As for where to get work shoes/boots at this hour, the Teamsters boycott Walmart because of the way they treat their employees, but if you're in a pinch and need shoes by the morning, there are 24 hour Walmarts all over the place. When you have another option it's advisable to shop elsewhere.

I did read that thread, it didn't really apply to my specific question of only having a limited amount of money to spend. I planned on spending money on the recommended boots after I could afford them. Honestly, the answers I got for my personalized question assisted me more than the thread did. Appreciate the concern though for your community, though. I understand y'all get a lot of random posts from temps like me, who are considered expendable in a veteran employee's eyes, and would like to cut down on threads that hold no value, but for me the answers hold personal value. If you'd like delete the post go ahead, it won't hurt my feeling any, my question has been answered and I thank you all for the assistance.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sorry, that was rude of me. I've been a driver for over 25 years and I've never been asked to evaluate a helper for rehire after Christmas. Just keep checking on available jobs through UPSJobs.com and apply often.

I have also driven for 25 years and have been able to get 3 helpers hired on permanently.

2 of them are driving this Peak.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Okay, I get it, man. No need to laugh at me. I'm just a guy in a new town, big city, trying to make a living just like everyone else. I've only worked for one other company, Walmart, which I was a holiday hire and pulled my weight enough to keep my job. I was there for quite a few years, until my recent move, and got tired of working for such a soul sucking company. Figured if I done it once I had a chance again. Plus, the HR lady said we could apply to attempt to continue our job with UPS.
fryingpan-sm.gif