Work while injured?

Nevermore1

I have a question regarding injuries and work. My husband is a Feeder driver and developed a stress fracture of his left foot. The Dr has put him in a boot and says he is fine to work so long as he can drive an automatic. At this point it looks like UPS is saying he can't work. I understand being concerned about him driving but isn't it possible to get alternative work in the building? The injury was most likely caused from using the clutch while driving at work but it's obviously not something that is easily proved. Any insight or recommendations?

Indecisi0n

You cant prove how he got hurt so I would say your SOL. So now I assume he is on disability from a non work related injury so they won't do anything.

....how you do'in ? *wink

Nevermore1

A stress fracture isn't actually a broken bone, it's stress of all the tendons, ligaments, muscles and bones that is caused by doing an action repeatedly. They haven't offered short term yet since he hasn't been out long enough.

I know how UPS doesn't like to admit most injuries are work related - he sprained his ankle in the yard in front of them but it wasn't "work related". At least that got them to repave the yard 2 weeks later

Cementups

Box Monkey
Tell him to file for disability and for unemployment and enjoy the time off and heal properly. The doctor has told him he can work with restrictions but UPS has refused so he is eligible for unemployment.

*note, UPS will never let an employee have alternative work if the injury was caused off the clock. You're (He's) an insurance liability at that point.

Dr.Brownz

A stress fracture isn't actually a broken bone, it's stress of all the tendons, ligaments, muscles and bones that is caused by doing an action repeatedly. They haven't offered short term yet since he hasn't been out long enough.

I know how UPS doesn't like to admit most injuries are work related - he sprained his ankle in the yard in front of them but it wasn't "work related". At least that got them to repave the yard 2 weeks later

Should have talked to a lawyer after the ankle

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
we have had many feeder drivers work light duty while recovering from a work related injury.

he need to speak to the head steward or BA.

oldngray

nowhere special
Repetitive stress injuries are harder to get disability. Not like a sudden injury you can pinpoint exactly when it occurred. Years of wear and tear can cause damage but you usually need to fight about those claims.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Repetitive stress injuries are harder to get disability. Not like a sudden injury you can pinpoint exactly when it occurred. Years of wear and tear can cause damage but you usually need to fight about those claims.

I was very fortunate when my ortho was able to get my repetitive motion injuries (both elbows) covered by comp.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Liberty Mutual will usually fight you tooth and nail for a repetitive motion injury....but eventually they'll cough up the money.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
99 percent of our package drivers will have lifelong physical problems because of repetitive requirements of this job.

my ankles hurt every morning. my knees hurt. my lower back hurts. my left hip hurts. my fingers hurt.

every day . and i did things by the book for 25 years.