Worked 2 years as season driver and tried loading for PT Permenent

Aspiring Jenga Master

I have work for UPS as a seasonal driver for 2 years. I was told I was the best seasonal driver they had as I would drive package cars and do routes. I thought I would try and getting permanent. I'm 54 years old and tried loading at night and was let go on my 29th day. They said I wasn't making my numbers yet their numbers were higher than what everyone told me was real numbers. They allowed me to start loading in the morning and I loaded Amazon trailers. It seemed like I was only given the large heavy packages. After two weeks I was told I was too slow for that which I really didn't believe because my rollers were never backed up.

I took it in stride and they let me try another time. I started loading package cars. I was put on the belt with the most volume and within two weeks they had me loading four package cars with a volume of around a thousand packages. After 3 days of loading four cars it was a mess and they let me go

My question is it common someone would pick up in 2 weeks the skills to load four package cars? I'm older but I feel like I work fast and I never showed signs of weakness and tiredness.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Wow, they shouldn't be so picky when peak season is coming upon us... sux that you didn't make past probation to become part of the union though, as a 22.4 driver

Maybe they're setting u up to become just another seasonal employee for 2020

ZeroHandicapper

Olympic Preload Gold Medalist
When I started preload last October, I was doing two trucks while training and then they started hiring a bunch for seasonal, so we loaded two trucks all the way through January. Then they took me up to the belt and had me loading three very heavy trucks. It definitely took some time to get used to. Once I figured out how to load the bulk stops (how the driver wanted it) and how to "bury" stuff, it got much easier. 4 cars? Wow!! Now I am running an AM Air shuttle and had a chance to visit a much much bigger facility. They have 40 trucks on both sides of the belt. The belt is much slower than ours and I believe they load 3-4 depending. We have a smaller facility that runs 15-20 routes and we all help each other out. I feel fortunate to come into a smaller facility because I dont know if I would have lasted in a larger one. Sorry to hear about that man. I am 46 and run circles around the younger kids, so I feel your pain. I have found alot of it depends on how well a supervisor likes you. At the end of the day, I think 4 trucks is a bit much, but they expect it. Were you stacked out with bulk or just didnt get on how to load right away?

I have work for UPS as a seasonal driver for 2 years. I was told I was the best seasonal driver they had as I would drive package cars and do routes. I thought I would try and getting permanent. I'm 54 years old and tried loading at night and was let go on my 29th day. They said I wasn't making my numbers yet their numbers were higher than what everyone told me was real numbers. They allowed me to start loading in the morning and I loaded Amazon trailers. It seemed like I was only given the large heavy packages. After two weeks I was told I was too slow for that which I really didn't believe because my rollers were never backed up.

I took it in stride and they let me try another time. I started loading package cars. I was put on the belt with the most volume and within two weeks they had me loading four package cars with a volume of around a thousand packages. After 3 days of loading four cars it was a mess and they let me go

My question is it common someone would pick up in 2 weeks the skills to load four package cars? I'm older but I feel like I work fast and I never showed signs of weakness and tiredness.
It would only be a matter of time before you got hurt on the job and become a financial liability to the company.

WannaBeFeeder

Sucks. But that’s UPS and it’s goofy management. We’ve had a ton of drivers here that were hired off the street not even make it 5 days just basically told to go :censored2: themselves. Unemployed after 2 or 3 days Because they couldn’t do the job as efficient as someone who has been doing it for 15 years which is BS.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Sucks. But that’s UPS and it’s goofy management. We’ve had a ton of drivers here that were hired off the street not even make it 5 days just basically told to go :censored2: themselves. Unemployed after 2 or 3 days Because they couldn’t do the job as efficient as someone who has been doing it for 15 years which is BS.

LOL

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Why waste time and money to train a driver, just to set them to fail??? Yeah, total BS... at least turn them to 22.4s since they already know that DOK, some diad experience, and already have their DOT cards...

Last edited:

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Go buy a couple of boots and stick it on the tires of the supervisors who screwed you. Eye for an eye