Worker productivity

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I know we are compensated very well for what we do but ups should appreciate a little more what they have.

90% or more of the people I see on a day to day basis are doing everything but working the job they are supposed to be doing. Every delivery driver I have seen this week was standing around talking every time I saw them.

By talking I mean. Talking when I pulled up and still standing there talking when I leave. A ups driver would never finish their day if we "worked" like this.

We are the most productive. This is nothing new. I don't know how long you have been around but we used to be about 50 to 60% les productive and we still ran circles around those guys.

Brownslave688

I guess I started this thread not more about us but more about how totally worthless the rest of people are.

Had someone picking up a part at a truck store today. He's blocking the drive to circle around. I pull in he's at leaning on the tailgate talking. I make eye contact and try to give him a look that says you better be gone before I get back. Make the pick up print end of day come back still talking.

Get in the truck and motion to him to move. I'm giving him the benefit at this point. Once I start my truck he will move quickly. Nope still talking. I honk and throw my arms in the air. He motions to hold on. I get out and say can you move your truck I have places to be you've been talking doing nothing for a few minutes now.

Of course I get alright fine and a look from hell but seriously these are just the drivers I see. Every office person I've ever delivered to has been on Facebook or candy crush or something other than their job every time I deliver.

Brownslave688

We are the most productive. This is nothing new. I don't know how long you have been around but we used to be about 50 to 60% les productive and we still ran circles around those guys.
It's getting to be a bit much. I mean honestly with telematics I would say they are getting 95%+ productivity out if most of us.

We all know they know what we are doing every second. There's not much left to squeeze out of ups workers.

It's getting to be a bit much. I mean honestly with telematics I would say they are getting 95%+ productivity out if most of us.

We all know they know what we are doing every second. There's not much left to squeeze out of ups workers.
Honestly telematics has made it easier and more justifiable to do even less work. Once I get Orion I'll do even less.

This is not just a job it's a game. I love to not only play games I like to be the best at it win and smiles at them when I'm doing it.

Last edited:

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I love the guy at the dock that stands and watches while we unload 100 boxes and says we make to much while it's a big effort for him to sign tbe DIAD.
Thus is why we are having so much trouble getting people to do our job. Took me 7 years pt and I thought that was good, it was good at the time, now a days hiring a 30 day pt to go ft. It's mind boggling

Brownslave688

Thus is why we are having so much trouble getting people to do our job. Took me 7 years pt and I thought that was good, it was good at the time, now a days hiring a 30 day pt to go ft. It's mind boggling
Recently had an off the street hire quit on day 3. Said no way this is too hard. I'll go back to tow truck driving.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

I hear ya. Gotta wait while a secretary at a large plant, makes her final evening plans on her phone, while I wait for a signature, or someone cant put their phone down til they are done doing whatever they are doing, even though you are standing there, or a customer with a cigarette in one hand, that they just had to light before they could possibly answer the door, and her phone in the other, and hopelessly tries to position them all so she can sign. I actually told one, put down the cigarette, the phone, sign and I will be gone. I dont like people, they are stupid.

Brownslave688

I hear ya. Gotta wait while a secretary at a large plant, makes her final evening plans on her phone, while I wait for a signature, or someone cant put their phone down til they are done doing whatever they are doing, even though you are standing there, or a customer with a cigarette in one hand, that they just had to light before they could possibly answer the door, and her phone in the other, and hopelessly tries to position them all so she can sign. I actually told one, put down the cigarette, the phone, sign and I will be gone. I dont like people, they are stupid.
I listen to the phone conversations and once I realize it's personal the board gets shoved right in their face.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I listen to the phone conversations and once I realize it's personal the board gets shoved right in their face.
LOL Like that. I mean really does your boss pay you to talk on the phone, facebook, twitter, shop? Seriously? Yeah thats what I thought, sign here, bi@#$. Its a sad world when people cant function without their phone up their arse.

S

selfcancelsignal

I guess I started this thread not more about us but more about how totally worthless the rest of people are.

Had someone picking up a part at a truck store today. He's blocking the drive to circle around. I pull in he's at leaning on the tailgate talking. I make eye contact and try to give him a look that says you better be gone before I get back. Make the pick up print end of day come back still talking.

Get in the truck and motion to him to move. I'm giving him the benefit at this point. Once I start my truck he will move quickly. Nope still talking. I honk and throw my arms in the air. He motions to hold on. I get out and say can you move your truck I have places to be you've been talking doing nothing for a few minutes now.

Of course I get alright fine and a look from hell but seriously these are just the drivers I see. Every office person I've ever delivered to has been on Facebook or candy crush or something other than their job every time I deliver.
I've been getting extremely frustrated by a lot of what you're describing of late too. Especially on the busier, more time sensitive routes that have bulk, apartments, & a lot of pick ups. People on the phone & won't acknowledge you when you need a signature, :censored2:s that see you coming, but don't wanna sign, so they high tail it. WTF?! We're trying to provide you a service... A little help goes along way! & enough with the clowns who come out of their house & ask if you have something for them. It's called tracking it online. All the cool kids are doing it. Give it a whirl & stop wasting my time trying to get another handout!

Sent while chasing down unnecessary Dish Network call tags.

Brownslave688

I've been getting extremely frustrated by a lot of what you're describing of late too. Especially on the busier, more time sensitive routes that have bulk, apartments, & a lot of pick ups. People on the phone & won't acknowledge you when you need a signature, :censored2:s that see you coming, but don't wanna sign, so they high tail it. WTF?! We're trying to provide you a service... A little help goes along way! & enough with the clowns who come out of their house & ask if you have something for them. It's called tracking it online. All the cool kids are doing it. Give it a whirl & stop wasting my time trying to get another handout!

If you're a cover driver like me it's real simple. Start filling out an info notice in front of them and slap it on the desk or window. I'll bet you have 0 problems again once doing this.

In life away from work I am about the farthest thing from an :censored2: that you'll meet. At work most customers probably hate me.

S

selfcancelsignal

I love the guy at the dock that stands and watches while we unload 100 boxes and says we make to much while it's a big effort for him to sign tbe DIAD.
Another 1 that grinds my gears! I delivered 20+ industrial parcels to a new business in a nearby town all week. They have a makeshift dock, but want you to, unreasonably in my opinion, wheel the parcels 50 feet down the dock closer to their interior receiving area. W... T... friend...?!?!?! All the while, there's usually 10+ guys & gals standing there having a cig. & watching me saying stupid shizz. Total carny atmosphere! Can't have any fun with it either 'cause it's heavy stuff, RDC, & I usually can't find everything right off the bat due to this PC's craptastic loader. What would easily be a 5-10 min. stop w/ a good receiving person is usually closer to 20 due to these lazy low life ungrateful friend---s!

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I hear people I know complain about their jobs and literally have to bite my tongue. It's hard to explain to people what working at UPS is like. Some people have it so easy and don't even know it.

OptimusPrime

I really can't fathom the life of desk jockeys. They literally do nothing all day. You walk into an office building for a delivery and all you see is Facebook, Twitter, and Amazon on monitors. The rest of the day revolves around coffee and :censored2: breaks. You go to use an office bathroom, and nope, stalls are full. And then comes the teeth gnashing. "Man, I'm jealous. You get to be out there driving around and enjoying all this good weather." Stop it.

S

selfcancelsignal

If you're a cover driver like me it's real simple. Start filling out an info notice in front of them and slap it on the desk or window. I'll bet you have 0 problems again once doing this.

In life away from work I am about the farthest thing from an :censored2: that you'll meet. At work most customers probably hate me.
Yep, & totally relate to that 2nd paragraph, especially the busier routes I've covered the last 3 weeks. I'm a lot nicer when covering rural routes, but who isn't.? LMAO.