workhorse P700

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
All our Workhorse P-700's are going bye bye. They are being sent out to get a new chassis and gas engine. Doesn't say much for Workhorse quality? I thought diesels were suppose to last?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Diesel is more, why, I don't know, however, there is more BTU's in each gallon which means more MPG. Bottom line is diesel is still cheaper plus less to maintain over the long haul. Workhorse just made a piece of junk truck.

Big Babooba

Diesel is more, why, I don't know, however, there is more BTU's in each gallon which means more MPG. Bottom line is diesel is still cheaper plus less to maintain over the long haul. Workhorse just made a piece of junk truck.

Actually the truck isn't bad. The engine sucks.

Alexcross774

Spinning my wheels.
The issue was the engine, not the chassis builder. International managed to build a POS engine, and Workhorse is converting them. Since having to meet more strict emissions standards, diesels have lost their longevity.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
My workhorse p700 came with a gas engine. Now if they would just replace the barn doors with an overhead....that would be nice

diadman

I love my 700 .... It was the first in the center not to date me . I was offered the new p10 with all the bells and I said hell no.

diadman

Hear she is!!
IMAG0158.jpg

S

serenity now

is the flag decal your personal addition?

so, you have dated a lot of trucks, but this one turned you down?

barnyard

KTM rider

Yep.

Ask a mechanic how much it costs for a new diesel motor and how many miles they are lasting. Then ask how many miles to a gas motor and how much for a new one.

The economics are not there for diesels. Pollution controls are killing those small motors.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Yep.

Ask a mechanic how much it costs for a new diesel motor and how many miles they are lasting. Then ask how many miles to a gas motor and how much for a new one.

The economics are not there for diesels. Pollution controls are killing those small motors.

Yeah it kills the injectors. Someone I can't think of who sells a fuel additive that works wonders but that's not the point.

Had a buddy get his injectors on his personal truck replaced a year or so ago 10k.

Don't know about the p700 but the workhorse p57 suck. Yeah they turn sharp but that sharp turning radius does a number on the chassis.

S

serenity now

diadman , you guys can have that snow * pretty on Christmas cards ; not good for much else

Tim.

Package Placement Expert
What is all that white crap on the ground? Dont get me wrong, it gets cold here in Florida sometimes. I got down to 63 here a couple weeks ago. Almost had to get the jacket out of the closet.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Diesel has to be processed more than most fuels nowadays to meet the high standards of the EPA. So it's more expensive. Plus the engines that qualify nowadays have to have a particulate trap that sends a firing cycle to clean those out. It's not cheap. The p700 workhorse we have is gas. 6.0 Chevy. It's got some snort. All the p57's have 4....3? I think it's a 4.3 also a Chevy motor...but not so much snort. They have flimsy metal frames n' such. The motors are ok. They seem to take a pounding reasonably well for us. I don't think we've had to replace any of them yet. Our newish p500's have the 6.0 in them and lemme tell ya...it's overkill and they only go 67 mph.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
The issue was the engine, not the chassis builder. International managed to build a POS engine, and Workhorse is converting them. Since having to meet more strict emissions standards, diesels have lost their longevity.

All our DIESEL Workhorse P57 have been, or are in the process of being converted to gas. The engine was a total piece of junk much like it's bigger brother in the P7s and up. Just waiting for the same treatment on them. That would leave me a lot more time for the little things everybody bitches about.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Diesel has to be processed more than most fuels nowadays to meet the high standards of the EPA. So it's more expensive. Plus the engines that qualify nowadays have to have a particulate trap that sends a firing cycle to clean those out. It's not cheap. The p700 workhorse we have is gas. 6.0 Chevy. It's got some snort. All the p57's have 4....3? I think it's a 4.3 also a Chevy motor...but not so much snort. They have flimsy metal frames n' such. The motors are ok. They seem to take a pounding reasonably well for us. I don't think we've had to replace any of them yet. Our newish p500's have the 6.0 in them and lemme tell ya...it's overkill and they only go 67 mph.

A 6.0 in a P5??? All the reprocessed P57's we got back are labeled as being 4.8s.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Diesel engine (reman) $10k Gas engine(reman) less than $2k w/o acessories
Diesel engine life 200K (if you can keep it running long enough to rack this up) Gas engine life 150-200K
Diesel engine weight 1000 lbs Gas engine weight 500 lbs
Diesel engine practicality w/emissions UPS purposes low- Urea injection, DPFs that clog up without regen process no driver will have time to perform + expensive removal and equipment to cook them clean, sheer complexity of parts and systems, etc.
Gas engine practicality- Start, go, repace usual wear items, no emission concerns currently
Diesel oil change interval about 10k 20 quarts @ $3 a quart Gas interval about the same with 6 quarts
+ no delay in starting time for glow plugs to work

NO CONTEST