Working at FedEx express or FedEx freight. Both job offers

VitasJ42

VitasJ42
Hello. I just got offered a job at FedEx express as a handler/courier(some days shuttle driving loads to Lax or Burbank airport. 330-730pm
I'm also going to get offered (based on what the manager inter to me ) a job offer for FedEx freight as a dockworker 4-10am.
I am thinking I'll probably juggle these jobs just to get the feel for both. Or just keep one or the other. They both have excellent almost equal hourly rate, but want opinions of both companies
I am looking for a career where I can get the most advancement from a bachelor degree I'll obtain in the future ( Logistics/operations management)
Thank you

Oldfart

Do not believe you can work BOTH jobs but I could be wrong. Will have to make a choice. That is something only you can decide. To many negative nellies on here to use their opinion.

bacha29

Do not believe you can work BOTH jobs but I could be wrong. Will have to make a choice. That is something only you can decide. To many negative nellies on here to use their opinion.
At the Fedex of the bygone era the only one you are familiar with and the same goes for the economy of that era a person didn't need to work 2 jobs. In the economy of today working 2 or more jobs is the norm. In the eyes of the Fedex of your era a person's time was worth something. In today's Fedex the work this young man is about to perform isn't worth anything and neither is the task that you perform which explains why they want rid of guys like you so they can replace them with lower cost labor. As far as your attractive pensions keep in mind that those are what corporate spin doctors refer to as" legacy" costs and don't be a bit surprised if some time down the road X tries to do what many other companies have done and that is to divest themselves of as much of those so called " legacy" costs as they can and if they do we all know at whose expense that divestiture will come at at. As for Vitas 342 and his desire to sit behind a desk He'll have to fight off the other 4618 other people with their little bachelor degrees for the chance to sit behind that one desk. If he wants a ticket to the show he should pursue a degree in engineering or a 2 year degree in specialized trades. Four year business/ management degrees? They're turning those out by the boxcar load.

Serf

Hello. I just got offered a job at FedEx express as a handler/courier(some days shuttle driving loads to Lax or Burbank airport. 330-730pm
I'm also going to get offered (based on what the manager inter to me ) a job offer for FedEx freight as a dockworker 4-10am.
I am thinking I'll probably juggle these jobs just to get the feel for both. Or just keep one or the other. They both have excellent almost equal hourly rate, but want opinions of both companies
I am looking for a career where I can get the most advancement from a bachelor degree I'll obtain in the future ( Logistics/operations management)
Thank you
If you choose Freight, you at least have the possibility someday to unionize. That will never happen at Express. You are in a large city, so hours at either place probably won't be hard to come by. Your future degree will open doors at either company. Although I think you'll realize relatively quickly, that most of your contemporaries are dim wits.

It will be fine

If you choose Freight, you at least have the possibility someday to unionize. That will never happen at Express. You are in a large city, so hours at either place probably won't be hard to come by. Your future degree will open doors at either company. Although I think you'll realize relatively quickly, that most of your contemporaries are dim wits.
If he's getting a degree he probably wants to move up into management so unionization would be a bad thing for him. Besides, the teamsters ran away from Freight.

Oldfart

Logistics degree can be very usefull in the right application. Depending on the part of the country, it might be in demand.

bacha29

If he's getting a degree he probably wants to move up into management so unionization would be a bad thing for him. Besides, the teamsters ran away from Freight.
Not exactly. The Teamsters didn't run away from X. They are waiting for X to exhaust every maneuver it can think of including ignoring an NLRB ruling to recognize the Teamsters. In the meantime nothing will happen until every possible source of cheap nonunion labor is used up.

vantexan

At the Fedex of the bygone era the only one you are familiar with and the same goes for the economy of that era a person didn't need to work 2 jobs. In the economy of today working 2 or more jobs is the norm. In the eyes of the Fedex of your era a person's time was worth something. In today's Fedex the work this young man is about to perform isn't worth anything and neither is the task that you perform which explains why they want rid of guys like you so they can replace them with lower cost labor. As far as your attractive pensions keep in mind that those are what corporate spin doctors refer to as" legacy" costs and don't be a bit surprised if some time down the road X tries to do what many other companies have done and that is to divest themselves of as much of those so called " legacy" costs as they can and if they do we all know at whose expense that divestiture will come at at. As for Vitas 342 and his desire to sit behind a desk He'll have to fight off the other 4618 other people with their little bachelor degrees for the chance to sit behind that one desk. If he wants a ticket to the show he should pursue a degree in engineering or a 2 year degree in specialized trades. Four year business/ management degrees? They're turning those out by the boxcar load.
It really grinds on you that some of us have pensions, huh? FedEx would have to declare bankruptcy to get out of their pension obligations. The Federal Gov't would then step in. If FedEx ever declares bankruptcy the world would probably be imploding anyways.

Oldfart

Not really. But my point sailed right over your head.

Only point I made was that was a choice he needed to make. I predicted debbie downers would chime in and he might not want to take their advice. Look what happened. Debbie downers everywhere

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Only point I made was that was a choice he needed to make. I predicted debbie downers would chime in and he might not want to take their advice. Look what happened. Debbie downers everywhere
Never gave him any advice. Just took the liberty of pointing out your shortcomings.

haller

Amazon is branching off and competing with some nice benefits. But i'm not sure when you get them but they're probably a lot earlier than both fedex and ups.

Last edited:

bacha29

It really grinds on you that some of us have pensions, huh? FedEx would have to declare bankruptcy to get out of their pension obligations. The Federal Gov't would then step in. If FedEx ever declares bankruptcy the world would probably be imploding anyways.
The company doesn't have to file for bankruptcy. The defined benefit pension plan upon being declared insolvent can be liquidated with the pension obligations shifted to the Pension Benefit Guaranty Trust which pays about 60% of the original benefit. Will it happen? The odds favor that it won't but at the same time if X wants rid of those so called " legacy" costs they will try it if the odds of succeeding look good enough.