Working Different Shifts

collegepreloader

I had a question about working different shifts when needed/asked. I am a preloader, today everyone was asked if they wanted to come in for the local sort/car wash shift. I told the first sup no and the 2nd sup no, the 2nd sup came back and said I had to b/c I am the lowest on the seniority list. (not even sure if that is true b/c there was a guy that worked tues 12/30 that was hired way after me) I said whatever, ill work (its all overtime anyways). But in another instance do I HAVE to work? It just dosent seem right.

collegepreloader

What if i worked another job, had something to do etc? This coming semester I will have class in the evening so I wouldn't be able to work. I was hired on the preload, why would I have to work another shift?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

CP, I am sure that something came up and they needed the extra help to get it taken care of. This doesn't happen very often but when it does you will be expected to do your part to get it done.

collegepreloader

Yes I believe the employee I was covering was going on the road with a sup? And yes I mean working double shifts, I just didn't know if I actually HAD to. The sort is very small tho, so when someone goes on vacation I have had to work that shift for a week or two. Then some days they would need me back on the preload as well.

NaiveRapture

Learning the system
Haha I don't know what you guys are smoking, they can't make you double shift! I'm not 100% on this but if a supervisor told me I HAD to come in on the proload when I am a reload employee, I would tell them to pound sand. I refuse to believe you are required to work ANYTHING but the actual job classification that you are currently labeled as.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Haha I don't know what you guys are smoking, they can't make you double shift! I'm not 100% on this but if a supervisor told me I HAD to come in on the proload when I am a reload employee, I would tell them to pound sand. I refuse to believe you are required to work ANYTHING but the actual job classification that you are currently labeled as.

The ironic part is that you may be "telling them to pound sand" from the parking lot.

NaiveRapture

Learning the system
The ironic part is that you may be "telling them to pound sand" from the parking lot.
Whenever someone proves your point, or, better yet, I have a supervisor that I know and trust tell me this in person, I will retract my statement and/or change my attitude.

Supervisors randomly come round on the Reload and ask people if they want to work Preload. If they could just force us to do so, they would do that instead. There have been plenty of times they wandered around, everyone told them no, and so the preload was short staffed... Which, once again wouldn't happen if they could force us to work a shift that we're not technically a part of.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
You can't be forced to double shift. Conversely, you can be lied to/mislead regarding it. UPS will say and do anythign to get what it wants and hopes for the least resistance.

gandydancer

CP, I am sure that something came up and they needed the extra help to get it taken care of. This doesn't happen very often but when it does you will be expected to do your part to get it done.

Nonsense. The man works Preload, say 4-8am. He's being told he HAS to report back for Local Sort/Carwash which he says is an evening shift and I take to be maybe 6p-10p. Garbage. You can't be forced to work a different shift, much less report twice a day. You have to work as directed, but not whenever UPS pleases.

collegepreloader

This has happened again to me today, no one wanted to work and I was told I had to again b/c I have lowest seniority. Someone volunteered to work last night, but I guess the guy I am covering is going out on the road. Is there any place that it says I don't have to work a double like in the union contract?

W

westsideworma

I don't have my contract book handy (and yes I do have one lol) otherwise I'd tell you, but maybe 705 will be able to help you.

When I worked it was voluntary, they'd ask you but they couldn't force anyone to do it. Our preload is often short staffed do to no one wanting to extend to it. This leads me to believe they can NOT force you to double shift, but I don't know for sure. If a person well versed in the contract doesn't provide a good answer tonight, I'll ask our steward tomorrow for you, he works near my area and would definitely know.

evilleace

I really do not think they can force you to work another shift after yours especially if you clock out and go home first. You could ask your steward he would probably have an answer for you or could get one and also check your own contract book for your local and see what it says you will get better answers more quickly than if you come on here and ask people from all over the country. BC is a good source for answers and info but knowing your contract is invaluable and asking your steward should be your first action in a situation like this.

collegepreloader

Thanks guys, I am going to ask my steward tomorrow, I actually load his truck. I have looked in my book but failed to find out any info. It sucks that I just got home and I have to be back tomorrow morning.

I guess what is going on is that we don't have enough drivers, so they are taking the highest seniority for helpers leaving them short handed on the evening shift. What I don't understand is why they don't hire more people, and I guess today there were supervisors out driving (one not even from our center). All i know is that it is a really messed up situation. Well off to sleep for 4 1/2 hours.

W

westsideworma

according to our steward you can NOT be forced to work two shifts. You can volunteer, but you can't be forced to do so. You are (at least in our area) only obligated to work 5 hrs.

collegepreloader

according to our steward you can NOT be forced to work two shifts. You can volunteer, but you can't be forced to do so. You are (at least in our area) only obligated to work 5 hrs.

Thanks for the help, I also talked to my steward today. He said the same thing, as long as I was hired on Preload that's all I am required to work. I don't mind the extra money when I want it, but I am also glad I do not have to work when I have plans/don't want to.