Working Off The Clock/Awful management (vent)

fUps

No Points For Creativity
I work in a large hub and in a very busy "go go go" area of the Hub, due to the constant workload & understaffing (sending people home at the beginning of every shift) a few people come in early and work off the clock to "clean up" prior to the start of our shift. These same people get spoken to for being a minute or two late returning from break. I just don't understand why anyone would volunteer their time to such an ungrateful company that doesn't appreciate their staff. Not to mention I am pretty sure it's against policy. We get treated like grade school children most of the time, ya, our management team is awful and it gets more and more discouraging every day. A good day's work, for a good day's pay, yet management tries to scare us with their number's game, causing so much anxiety and panic that people get stressed out and have nightmares about their job's at UPS. It's just not worth it, I try to keep a cool head but when I bust my balls and get looked at like I am not doing good enough & if I only came in early to clean up what another shift couldn't finish my numbers would sky rocket. :censored2:

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
If I'm not being paid, I don't touch anything work related. Back when I worked in retail, this included ignoring customers on my way in/out of the store during my lunch break or telling them I'd be back in 5 minutes because I'm not permitted to work off the clock (for the more polite or elderly). I take the same approach to UPS. I swipe my card the moment I walk in the door, as directed, and if it says "Paid from: 17:00" I'll make sure I'm ready to work. But I sure as hell don't begin work until exactly 17:00. Never heard a bad word about it. Why on earth eould you voluntarily work for free? With a username like yours I can't assume that you're doing it because you love your job.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I work in a large hub and in a very busy "go go go" area of the Hub, due to the constant workload & understaffing (sending people home at the beginning of every shift) a few people come in early and work off the clock to "clean up" prior to the start of our shift. These same people get spoken to for being a minute or two late returning from break. I just don't understand why anyone would volunteer their time to such an ungrateful company that doesn't appreciate their staff. Not to mention I am pretty sure it's against policy. We get treated like grade school children most of the time, ya, our management team is awful and it gets more and more discouraging every day. A good day's work, for a good day's pay, yet management tries to scare us with their number's game, causing so much anxiety and panic that people get stressed out and have nightmares about their job's at UPS. It's just not worth it, I try to keep a cool head but when I bust my balls and get looked at like I am not doing good enough & if I only came in early to clean up what another shift couldn't finish my numbers would sky rocket. :censored2:
Very simple, I don't work off the clock. I don't touch packages, I don't climb slides, I don't break jams, and I don't pull bulk if it's even one minute before my start time. Have I ever worked off the clock as the OP mentioned? Yes..I don't play their game anymore. Screw their numbers...the only numbers that matter to me are the ones on my paycheck. I will happily sit on my slide, drink my coffee and laugh as the bulk rides by and gets jammed....sorry, I still have two minutes left....lol.

mixyo

Dispatcher
I come in 30 mins early every day to help get things set up. However, my sup adjusts my time card so that I am being paid to do so.

Box Ox

Management is under the numbers gun and will take advantage of you every time until you assert your rights and have no problem with saying "no".

It took me a while to realize that my only job as a preloader between start time and going home is to get as many pieces into my routes as accurately as I can for my drivers. The numbers stuff? Management's problem. Package car overflow? Poor management dispatch. All I am is a morning box jockey with absolutely no involvement in anything other than pulling packages off the belt. If there's a problem with anything other than that, management and/or corporate in Atlanta needs to make some changes.

You're absolutely right that it's just not worth the worry. Nightmares and anxiety are a management thing. Which is why sups are pretty much impossible to recruit in my area.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
No one else wants to come to work early, and we all know how incompetent the sups are (both FT and PT) so I think they're glad that someone is willing to do it...
That's different, then they're going by seniority... as long as you're not getting ot, I wouldn't care.

wayfair

swollen member
I've been guilty of "putting my stuff up" on car, then seeing a few adjustments that could be made to help me out during the day, it's more like 5 mins, if that