working off the clock in Jacksonville. why in the world?

bennypablo

what in the world is going on at ups? why do employees across the country work for free and why would the company allow this to happen? Not only are drivers sorting the airs off the clock a few brave souls are heading out on the road off the clock.
look at this you tube video
[video=youtube;Al7Ytk89vDY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al7Ytk89vDY[/video]

raceanoncr

Well, that certainly does it for me. I'm NEVER gonna, uh, do whatever this shows again! EVER!

(Ummm...by the way...what DOES it show?)

curiousbrain

Two UPS trucks driving down the road at, according to the radio, 8:43AM - I assume the OP is implying they are off the clock.

We have a driver where I am employed who burns out of the building at about 8:30ish, before the PCM even starts; management lets him do it because he shows up early to sort/load his own truck. Once or twice a week, I end up trying to find a driver to take a few NDA's because he has already left the building - if not, I give them to my supe who figures it out.

Last edited by a moderator:

raceanoncr

Yeah, I heard the radio. Does the OP know for a fact that these drivers were NOT on the clock?

We used to have our PCM at 0835. I never got out til, at least, 0845 but some burners did blow outta there in 5-8 min.

What does the vid show? Is there proof that they didn't start til 0845, for instance, or later. A little "splanation" would help. Or little proof.

Sorry, carry on.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
We have several rural routes with 7:30am start times in our center alone, around four. Plus the early AM air drivers that go out. Sometimes Iam out the door by 8:40 doing airs..

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We are allowed to leave early if we have too many air stops. The EAM drivers are also allowed to leave early on their second trip if the Preload is down.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We have guys with 0830 start times who come to work between 0600 and 0630 to load their own trucks for free. It's one of the craziest things I've ever seen, they are giving away around 500 hours a year which works out to close to 20 grand. There's no talking sense to them either, they're like zombies.

DS

Fenderbender
We have guys with 0830 start times who come to work between 0600 and 0630 to load their own trucks for free. It's one of the craziest things I've ever seen, they are giving away around 500 hours a year which works out to close to 20 grand. There's no talking sense to them either, they're like zombies.
We have one that does this,and after he loads and sorts his truck all nicey nice,he's the first one they offer a day off to,and unbelievably,he goes home after working two hours for nothing.He's a nice guy,but he's set in his ways,weird.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
what in the world is going on at ups? why do employees across the country work for free and why would the company allow this to happen? Not only are drivers sorting the airs off the clock a few brave souls are heading out on the road off the clock...

The company's entire business model is predicated on manipulating and coercing as many employees as possible into working off of the clock.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

I guarantee if someone filed a grievance for the time it would stop. I have filed and won for both the preloader that was displaced and the driver that was working. Both got paid. Do that a few times and it will stop!!

I have to rant here a bit. You people that see this happening and do nothing are just as guilty as the ones doing it.

How would you like to be a preloader sent home early due to the drivers coming in and stealing money right out of their hands? Or the driver that is laid off all week because there are 5 drivers a day coming in an hour early? I certainly would be mad as hell if I didn't get to work because some jerks were working off the clock. Stop being enablers!! Stand up for the rights of your brothers and sisters that can't stand up for themselves!!!

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
We have several early EAM guys out well before 8. My building starts at 830. Why is 843 such a big deal this video is pointless without say proof that these are full time drivers leaving a building that has a start time that is 845 or later.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

We've had a few of those over the years. When they punch out a 4:30 they think they only worked 7.5 hours.