Working off the "old contract"

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by SameRightsForAll, Sep 18, 2018.

1. SameRightsForAll

SameRightsForAll Active Member

I have a question for the geniuses here. When a contract expires, why is it that we continue obeying the entire contract EXCEPT for the scheduled pay raise?

2. CoolStoryBro

CoolStoryBro Active Member

b
    We are. The old contract has has the specific date of each raise. There were no provisions for raises after the contract expired. Thus, no raises until we get a new contract.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Hadjabear

Hadjabear Member

You should be getting progression pay raise from last contract on your anniversary date, not GWI.

4. SameRightsForAll

SameRightsForAll Active Member

So your answer is basically "because nothing expires except the pay scale". I'm asking what's the logic behind this if it's not being used as coercion.

5. CoolStoryBro

CoolStoryBro Active Member

I give up with you.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Mugarolla

Mugarolla Light 'em up!

I'll try.

Under the 2013-2018 contract, the one that we are working under since it has been extended, there was no negotiated pay raise effective August 1, 2018, so we did not get a raise.

Our last and final raise negotiated under this contract, the one we are working under, was February 1, 2018.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. zubenelgenubi

zubenelgenubi Well-Known Member

Don't worry, you'll get retroactive pay.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  8. Superteeth2478

Superteeth2478 Active Member

Speaking of that, now there are stewards in my building going around telling people they won't get retro pay if it's voted down because it's being voted down for "non-economic" issues...some hardcore scare tactics, or what?

9. Brown287

Brown287 Im not the Mail Man!

“Non economic” issues.....according to who?!?! Your BA is feeding your steward BS!!!!

10. Superteeth2478

Superteeth2478 Active Member

Man, none of the :censored2: they were saying sounded right, and I didn't believe it for a second. That "non-economic issues" BS just sounded like something they were saying to justify the "no backpay" scenario, because just saying there won't be backpay doesn't make sense and they needed an explanation. It just sounds like a ridiculous scare tactic.

11. IGotARock

IGotARock Active Member

How would anyone know what the reasons were for voting down a contract? Maybe they are economic. How can anyone know?

12. Mugarolla

Mugarolla Light 'em up!

If the contract is voted down, there is a chance that we would not get retro pay, but that chance is relatively minimal.

It is possible that on the next offer, and if accepted, or impossed, the raise would go into effect on the date of ratification, and not be retroactive back to August 1.

Again, I say not very likely, but it is a possibility that cannot be entirely ruled out.

No one knows at this time for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  13. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

There is always one know-it-all in the group.

14. Mugarolla

Mugarolla Light 'em up!

Not me.

In fact, I just gave @Pickles an answer based on our local practice without double checking the Supplement.

I had to correct myself with the language from the Central Region Supplement.

15. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

There is always that one guy who thinks he knows the contract but in reality doesn't know :censored2:.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  16. MenInBrown

MenInBrown Well-Known Member

We will get retro pay. Vote NO

17. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Only if we get a raise. If the contract is renegotiated because it was turned down we could lose the raises and pension increases in exchange for eliminating the 22.4 language.

18. BakerMayfield2018

BakerMayfield2018 Fight the power.

Your out of your got damn mind if you think we would ever except that bs. Lmfao!!!

19. BakerMayfield2018

BakerMayfield2018 Fight the power.

eliminate the raises. Lmfao!!!!!943E9262-4D86-4FBB-8CE0-A101A3A0B4D7.gif

20. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

You are out of your mind if you think we are going to risk our pension increases for a bunch of guys who don't even work here yet.