working through vacations

Overpaid Union Thug

Anyone who selects a vacation week but works during that week (which is a no no in the southern supplement) is an inconsiderate scumbag. Why not sell back vacation(s) instead of closing out a week that someone else can use?

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I recently decided to work through vacation weeks and bank the vacation check in a savings account. If/when I run out of option/sick days I use the vacation days I've "banked". This is my way of "rolling over" vacation days from year-to-year, as well as taking a single or couple days without "wasting" the rest of the week off, in lieu of these becoming part of the national agreement.

It should be noted that when you sell PTO more of the money is subject to tax, ergo you get back less. Hence, those who know this prefer to work through the week rather than sell it. However, since I don't want to burn someone who might want the week off, I tend to schedule such weeks during times of less demand, say October or February.

Last edited:

Overpaid Union Thug

I recently decided to work through vacation weeks and bank the vacation check in a savings account. If/when I run out of option/sick days I use the vacation days I've "banked". This is my way of "rolling over" vacation days from year-to-year, as well as taking a single or couple days without "wasting" the rest of the week off, in lieu of these becoming part of the national agreement.

It should be noted that when you sell PTO more of the money is subject to tax, ergo you get back less. Hence, those who know this prefer to work through the week rather than sell it. However, since I don't want to burn someone who might want the week off, I tend to schedule such weeks during times of less demand, say October or February.

Screw that. I'd file on that in a second.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Screw that. I'd file on that in a second.

Your prerogative. However, when my daughter has to pretend that waves in the ocean are her daddy lifting her up, because she and my wife are at the beach, and I am not using option/sick days so early in the year because one never knows knows what snow storm/sickness/other emergency will rear its head come winter, one gets creative. Frankly, you'd be filing on principle, and it sucks.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Vacation...oh you mean retirement practice week? I have worked every vacation the last 8 years. I'll take Monday and Tuesday off and work the rest. The 9 days off just throws me for a loop when I get back. A 4 day weekend is perfect for recharging my batteries yet not take me completely out of the game.

Overpaid Union Thug

Your prerogative. However, when my daughter has to pretend that waves in the ocean are her daddy lifting her up, because she and my wife are at the beach, and I am not using option/sick days so early in the year because one never knows knows what snow storm/sickness/other emergency will rear its head come winter, one gets creative. Frankly, you'd be filing on principle, and it sucks.

It's my prerogative because its in the contract. You are not exempt from abiding by the rules of the contract because your daughter might have to pretend that waves are her daddy. There are other people with less seniority that could choose the weeks that you selfishly chose only to come in and work. Some of those people have kids they'd like to take on vacation without pulling them out of school. Some might be wanting to go on vacation during the cooler months. There are plenty of reasons why someone else might want to choose certain weeks. But when there are people like you wasting weeks of vacation simply because you think it's inconvenient to follow your own contract or because you don't want to get taxed more by properly selling you vacations back they miss out on those weeks. So, you're damn right I file on principle. You may have more seniority than those that you are screwing, BUT, you are not special. You are not above following the contract. Selfish is what you apparently are.

Last edited:

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Whatever dude. The demand for PTO of any kind is low in January, nevermind I let my center manager know if someone really wants that week I am perfectly willing to move the week to another, it's no big deal. Another thing, since when is being concerned about one's family, I.e. "someone else", selfish. I understand your point of view, but also realize it is dogmatic, judgemental, rigid "brothers" like yourself who are looking for "victims" that do not exist to try and shame others for your POV that'll make the already monumental effort to make unions more relevant and appealing to the masses that much more difficult. Kudos to you.

P.S. I like the approach my local has taken to combat a thorn in the sides of many here. Rather than attack "me-sters" for skipping their lunches, the union is proposing the company allow drivers to have the option to take half a lunch and be paid for the rest. Speaking to the needs of those on the street, even without having to be asked to.

Last edited:

Overpaid Union Thug

Whatever dude. The demand for PTO of any kind is low in January, nevermind I let my center manager know if someone really wants that week I am perfectly willing to move the week to another, it's no big deal. Another thing, since when is being concerned about one's family, I.e. "someone else", selfish. I understand your point of view, but also realize it is dogmatic, judgemental, rigid "brothers" like yourself who are looking for "victims" that do not exist to try and shame others for your POV that'll make the already monumental effort to make unions more relevant and appealing to the masses that much more difficult. Kudos to you.

P.S. I like the approach my local has taken to combat a thorn in the sides of many here. Rather than attack "me-sters" for skipping their lunches, the union is proposing the company allow drivers to have the option to take half a lunch and be paid for the rest. Speaking to the needs of those on the street, even without having to be asked to.

People like you that selfishly disregard the contract and claim "family issues" are a dime a dozen and are what has become one of the main problems among the driver ranks. We have rules for a reason. Your own personal issues and desires don't supersede them. And go ahead and skip half your lunches. You may or may not get paid for them but you can be certain UPS WILL find a way to exploit that half you didn't take. And everyone else that is whining about not being able to violate their contract for personal reasons because they want to only take half of the lunch they are entitled to and are REQUIRED​ to take are the same ones that end up whining about over dispatching. I'd laugh at the irony of that if I wasn't regularly screwed by the effects of it.

What'dyabringmetoday???

People like you that selfishly disregard the contract and claim "family issues" are a dime a dozen and are what has become one of the main problems among the driver ranks. We have rules for a reason. Your own personal issues and desires don't supersede them. And go ahead and skip half your lunches. You may or may not get paid for them but you can be certain UPS WILL find a way to exploit that half you didn't take. And everyone else that is whining about not being able to violate their contract for personal reasons because they want to only take half of the lunch they are entitled to and are REQUIRED​ to take are the same ones that end up whining about over dispatching. I'd laugh at the irony of that if I wasn't regularly screwed by the effects of it.
big- I can only say this- I wish that I could work beside you and get all of those that wear brown Dickies to think like you. WAY too many want to make their own decisions that cause bad things for the rest of us. Thank you for speaking out and TRYING to get people to listen. This contract is pivotal and I hope our brothers and sisters understand what we are up against. Sadly, many won't. Keep the faith and know that there are a FEW of us out here that share your vision. (Of not sucking up to management but making a stand) Enjoy the remainder of this great weekend...

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

Whom are replying to?

'Lord Brown's bidding'

And there it is. I don't regularly skip my lunch anymore than I screw a driver out of a desperately wanted vacation. It is conjecture in your mind. You assume, the same as you assume that I'd whine about anything, especially being kept out late. It is what it is. Even more, i have recently been feeling pressure from mgmt in part from running my trip the right way while the covers cut corners. Interesting thing is I ultimately learned a thing or two about my methods, made some adjistments, and now have a way smoother day, lunch and all. Didn't require confronting anyone on the belt about how they were screwing me.

Overpaid Union Thug

The rules are there to make sure I don't get taken advantage of, or the company. No one is. Again, conjecture in your mind, son.

Working through a vacation IS screwing the company, your fellow drivers, and a blatant violation of the contract plain and simple. You can sugar coat the behavior by calling it "conjecture" but in the end...... still wrong.