Working through winter

TheTakeOver

Hey everyone. I know it's still Summer, and it's likely still pushing 100 degrees wherever you might be, but I need some advice for working in the hub during Winter.

I've been with the company for two years now and just got approved for an educational transfer to Western Idaho. I'm currently in Inland Southern California. I love cold weather, and have had experiences in it in the past, just never in a working capacity. The coldest it gets in the Winter time in my current hub is probably the low-50s. Nothing a hoodie and a pair of gloves can't fix. I'll be dealing with 20s and 10s this Winter.

I'm not worried about it, I just don't know what to expect. I'm used to the harshest work times being in the 110-degree summer heat, not the cold I'll be working in soon enough. Anyone with experience in the cold, please chime in with clothing recommendations, etc...

Thanks!

moreluck

golden ticket member
I spent 7 years in Idaho Falls, Idaho. They plug their cars in up there...it get so cold. The diesel fuel gels in the big rigs and the truck stops. We had -30 degrees , actual temperatures, not cold indexes. You walk outside and breathe in through your nose and your nostrils stay stuck! It's the only place I ever had to shovel the roof.

Three quarters of the year it is beautiful, but winter can be horrendous!!! On our street, after a rather wet snowstorm, the cars going down the street made 6-8 inch deep ruts that froze overnight and you had no choice but to run in the ruts or ontop of ice the next day. If your distance between wheels wasn't the same as the car that made the ruts, you got alignment problems.

We had studded snow tires and they worked well. Long underwear is good if you are working outdoors.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
under armor cold gear. underneath

Boss work gloves.

wear a winter hat

I usually wear carhart insulated hooded sweatshirt over the under armor cold gear. Only two layers but plenty warm for working in 30-50 degree UPS building.

klein

Für Meno :)
most important are good winter shoes, secondly large enough to fit 2 pairs of heavy winter socks on your feet.
Because if your feet do ever get cold, your whole body will chill, and you can never warm up those feet, again.

Other then that, always bring an extra heavy sweater with you, and I would also consider buying long johns and ofcourse good gloves.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
winter socks are overrated. What happens is, your feet won't be able to breathe and will sweat. The sweat is the problem ,because that is your body trying to cool itself. Your feet freeze if you wear two pairs of heavy socks due to sweat (mine do anyway)

wear lightweight wicking socks if possible , bring a change of socks too if it's very cold.

jimstud

Banned
under armor cold gear. underneath

Boss work gloves.

wear a winter hat

I usually wear carhart insulated hooded sweatshirt over the under armor cold gear. Only two layers but plenty warm for working in 30-50 degree UPS building.

under armour is amazing as far as their cold weather gear goes. sleve is right 2 pair of heavy socks will kill your feet. they will start to sweat and then you are in trouble.

rod

Retired 22 years
Dress in layers. I tried many types of work boots over my carreer by in the end what worked for me in cold weather (-25 was common and I've worked in seen as much as -52) was a light weight pair of tennis shoes covered with insulated rubber overshoes. (dry and warm) As long as there wasn't a danger of rolling away our package cars were left running all day--------yes even when they rode with you. Actually when they rode with you on a brutally cold day they wouldn't even get out at most stops-- they would just huddle around the heater. By the time the long winter was over I would actually find it awkward to operate a DIAD without gloves on. You will find that working in cold weather is alot different than playing in it. The 1st thing you did when you hit the gas pump at night was to start your personal vehical so it would be toasty warm by the time you punched out. As a practical joke every once in awhile someone would switch their buddies temp control to air conditioning instead of heat. That was always good for a laugh.

TheTakeOver

Thank you everyone. This seriously helps a lot. I'm definitely going to grab some Under Armour Cold Gear and some long johns before it gets cold. I already have a pretty thick insulated sweatshirt that should be good with the UA. Thanks again, everyone!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Thank you everyone. This seriously helps a lot. I'm definitely going to grab some Under Armour Cold Gear and some long johns before it gets cold. I already have a pretty thick insulated sweatshirt that should be good with the UA. Thanks again, everyone!

Don't forget choice of gloves!

I always think head ,hands ,feet. Hands and feet are two extremeties for blood cirrculation and head where 50-75% of heat is lost. Keep those three warm and you're good! :peaceful:

jimstud

Banned
under armour makes a great pair of light weight gloves the only problem is that i go through 2 to 3 pair in a season/ they are thin enough to use a diad no problem

browniehound

Now, how about for us drivers? I'm looking for any new suggestions as I HATE the cold. I wear long-johns, a long sleeve t-shirt, then a bulky sweatshirt, the UPS long-sleeve shirt, the vest, the jacket and finally a knit hat. With all that, I can barely move and I'm still cold on those late nights in January when the wind is howling! Also, I sweat when I'm doing stops indoors and this can't be good!

And, I almost forgot, my girlfriend got me a mask a couple of years ago. Boy, I tell you, I couldn't deal with the cold without this thing. The only thing exposed is my eyes!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Now, how about for us drivers? I'm looking for any new suggestions as I HATE the cold. I wear long-johns, a long sleeve t-shirt, then a bulky sweatshirt, the UPS long-sleeve shirt, the vest, the jacket and finally a knit hat. With all that, I can barely move and I'm still cold on those late nights in January when the wind is howling! Also, I sweat when I'm doing stops indoors and this can't be good!

And, I almost forgot, my girlfriend got me a mask a couple of years ago. Boy, I tell you, I couldn't deal with the cold without this thing. The only thing exposed is my eyes!

I have brown under armor thermals (cold gear) for the winter. Usually that , a reg white or brown long sleeve and the UPS shirt is enough.

All you will really need are the thermals, honestly, unless it's those rare days when the high is below 20 or the AM is under 10. Then you'll need to layer up. That's my take anyway.

These are great, I have two and rotated them for a few winters so far. Inside or driving (unless you're one of the crazies who wears shorts no matter the temp)

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/...1-Men-s-ColdGear-Base-1-0-Legging/1004601-001

or step up and get the best ones

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/...en-s-ColdGear-UA-Base-3-0-Legging/1004605-001

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

You must look like the Michelin man. Couple of shirts and a vest. Coat rarely comes out, too bulky.

bigbrownhen

I can't stand to wear a hat. I use the ear covers(headband type) and have a scarf for those really cold windy days. The scarf is one you can wrap around your neck or open it and pull over your head and be able to use like a balaclava face mask. It's brown and fuzzy, my hubby calls it "Mr. Snuffalufagus". This thing is unbelieveably warm and versatile. I use turtle necks under my UPS shirt, black or brown, not white, the collars get too dirty. I haven't tried the under armor ones, think I may splurge on them this year though. I have the UPS jacket that is water resistant and a removable liner that came with it, works good enough for me. Wearing layers is vital, you can add or remove as the temperatures change throughout the day. As for gloves, I just use the little cheapy ones (not jersey) you can get 2 pair for a couple of bucks. They will last a couple months usually. I go through about 4 pair a season. They fit tight enough to work the Diad and are warm enough and are great for small hands. Most gloves are too big for us ladies. I have a pair of Danner boots for winter. They are pricey, but will last a few years. Good wicking socks are also vital.

barnyard

KTM rider
I wear Danner 200 gram thinsulate boots and last year, I bought the expensive, but thin winter weight socks. I never, ever thought I would spend $10 for a pair of socks, let alone 6 pair. My feet have never been so warm and comfortable. I have 2 pair of Danners to that I can rotate and let them dry out completely before I wear them again. My set up works well to about 0, below that, I have a pair of 1000 gram thinsulate boots. They are bulkier, but very warm when it is that cold.

I second the thingys that go from neck gaiter to hood. I have several. The heaviest one is too heavy to wear in all but the coldest temps, the lightweight ones are perfect when running resis.

Last winter, I started wearing a pair of thin shooting gloves under my winter gloves. That was another thumbs up.

Last winter, my worst day was a day that my heater quit working. I put all my layers on and did not get cold till I was almost done. The day could have been alot worse.

Also, when you take your break, drink warm water. Not coffee. Hot chocolate is not bad, but can have caffeine, which is really bad.

My hardest time in the winter is when it gets warmer. I eat a lot of calories in the winter and it is really hard to cut back.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I wear Danner 200 gram thinsulate boots and last year, I bought the expensive, but thin winter weight socks. I never, ever thought I would spend $10 for a pair of socks, let alone 6 pair. My feet have never been so warm and comfortable. I have 2 pair of Danners to that I can rotate and let them dry out completely before I wear them again. My set up works well to about 0, below that, I have a pair of 1000 gram thinsulate boots. They are bulkier, but very warm when it is that cold.

I second the thingys that go from neck gaiter to hood. I have several. The heaviest one is too heavy to wear in all but the coldest temps, the lightweight ones are perfect when running resis.

Last winter, I started wearing a pair of thin shooting gloves under my winter gloves. That was another thumbs up.

Last winter, my worst day was a day that my heater quit working. I put all my layers on and did not get cold till I was almost done. The day could have been alot worse.

Also, when you take your break, drink warm water. Not coffee. Hot chocolate is not bad, but can have caffeine, which is really bad.

My hardest time in the winter is when it gets warmer. I eat a lot of calories in the winter and it is really hard to cut back.

Howdy barnyard ... long time no hear from.

Ride that KTM to work in the winter?

UPSGUY72

winter socks are overrated. What happens is, your feet won't be able to breathe and will sweat. The sweat is the problem ,because that is your body trying to cool itself. Your feet freeze if you wear two pairs of heavy socks due to sweat (mine do anyway)

wear lightweight wicking socks if possible , bring a change of socks too if it's very cold.

+1

UPSGUY72

Working in the winter isn't a big deal and dressing for work in the winter isn't either. The number one thing is good WATERPROOF boots you don't need expensive socks a two layer system of cotton in and wool outer will help wick away moisture from your feet sweating and keep them warm. Your feet are going to sweat no matter how good of sock you have so a extra pair of socks is always good idea. A good pair of thermal underwear and then for your upper body use the layer system that will allow you to take off a layer when you start to get to hot.

klein

Für Meno :)

News Edmonton

Only Siberia was colder

Edmonton was the chilliest place in North America Sunday, says Environment Canada meteorologist
By CLARA HO, Edmonton Sun
Last Updated: December 15, 2009 11:31am

Edmonton was the coldest place in North America yesterday morning and the second chilliest in the world.
The Edmonton International Airport saw a record low of -46.1 C and -58.4 C with the windchill, outfreezing even the Arctic.

Only Dzalinda, Siberia, appeared to be colder, with a weather station there recording temperatures of -48 C.

Yesterday's frigid temperatures broke the previous record for Dec. 13, which was -36.1 C set in 2008, as well as the record for the coldest day in December, a low of -44.5 C set on Dec. 9, 1977. Cold Lake, Grande Prairie and Whitecourt also had record lows yesterday.
The extreme weather was enough to stall some planes at the Edmonton International Airport, said spokeswoman Traci Bednard.
"A couple flights had to be diverted to Calgary (Saturday night) where it was warmer," Bednard said, adding there were a few cancellations and a few delays early yesterday morning. By 8 a.m., when the temperature improved to -40 C, most planes were able to start operating again.

Now, try to be in our cold with only 1 pair of socks (trust me, your feet won't sweat) !
This hit us last year just 12 days before xmas.
But, minus 40C is common here every year.

Minus 46.1C is roughly minus 55F
With the windchill at -58.4, didn't look it up, but should be around minus 70 - minus 75F !!!

Come visit us 1 winter, please LOL ;)