Worthless union

Hellobrown2000

I transferred to a new state. Where I came from the union took care of issues, were engaging, if you had a problem they would fix it at least appear to in the least, shop stewards were voted in and took care of the employees. New state the steward isn't voted in he only chases the money. Ba is non existent. I have had 2 issues now and no response, nothing. I'm seriously thinking about with drawing from the union. Both states are RTW any suggestions?

Box Ox

Show up to your local’s next meeting and give ‘em the “DO YOU SMELL WHAT THE ROCK IS COOKING?” treatment when they hand you the mic.

BlackCat

I transferred to a new state. Where I came from the union took care of issues, were engaging, if you had a problem they would fix it at least appear to in the least, shop stewards were voted in and took care of the employees. New state the steward isn't voted in he only chases the money. Ba is non existent. I have had 2 issues now and no response, nothing. I'm seriously thinking about with drawing from the union. Both states are RTW any suggestions?
Round up some signatures and ask for a re-vote for shop stewards?

Johney

Round up some signatures and ask for a re-vote for shop stewards?
Hmmm.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Run for office tough guy!

Wally

Show up to your local’s next meeting and give ‘em the “DO YOU SMELL WHAT THE ROCK IS COOKING?” treatment when they hand you the mic.
2017-12-14-23-15-39-.jpg

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
It’s hard to find somebody that wants to run for Job Steward and will do a good job at it. Most people just want to gripe about stuff but they don’t want to make anymore effort than that. Most don’t attend union meetings or even bother to vote. We have about 150 package drivers in my building and only three out of six of our stewards are good. There is only one that I would consider using. My Center delivers Local 728 so the Business Agents are in the building a lot.

Wally

It’s hard to find somebody that wants to run for Job Steward and will do a good job at it. Most people just want to gripe about stuff but they don’t want to make anymore effort than that. Most don’t attend union meetings or even bother to vote. We have about 150 package drivers in my building and only three out of six of our stewards are good. There is only one that I would consider using. My Center delivers Local 728 so the Business Agents are in the building a lot.
I don't know why they don't webcast the meetings. It's a long Sunday morning drive for many of us.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I don't know why they don't webcast the meetings. It's a long Sunday morning drive for many of us.

That's a problem too, how far away the meetings are. My Local covers the whole state, so some people have a three-four hour drives to a Saturday meeting. We have meetings in Savannah too, so that helps some members.

Wally

That's a problem too, how far away the meetings are. My Local covers the whole state, so some people have a three-four hour drives to a Saturday meeting. We have meetings in Savannah too, so that helps some members.
I would move the meetings monthly to various locations within the local territory.

Johney

All the Stewards are voted in, unless of course nobody wants to do it except one guy.

If the center wants a vote for new Stewards, guess what? There will be a vote.
I just quoted what the op said. They aren't voted in ,so....how can there be a revote?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
All the Stewards are voted in, unless of course nobody wants to do it except one guy.

If the center wants a vote for new Stewards, guess what? There will be a vote.

Not everywhere. Some locals appoint the Stewards.

I know in some places they are appointed. Nothing is standard at UPS.

That is correct, and I do not agree with it. They should be voted in, and if not doing their job, should be able to be voted out.

There are also locals that appoint their BA's. I don't agree with that either.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
My union is pretty crappy too...people call and text me all the time with questions instead of even trying to talk to stewards. It’s embarrassing. They don’t answer their phones but they always take my dues out on time.