Would anyone go back for Peak?

Would anyone rehire for Peak?

• Total voters

EmerCond421

Retired earlier this year. Just received a call from my former center wanting to know if I would be a peak hire at top pay, as they are looking for experienced drivers. After the initial shock I politely declined. (LoL) Would you?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Retired earlier this year. Just received a call from my former center wanting to know if I would be a peak hire at top pay, as they are looking for experienced drivers. After the initial shock I politely declined. (LoL) Would you?

I got the same question four years ago after I retired.

They wouldn't agree to my terms, so I politely declined.;)

rod

Retired 22 years
I've been retired 16+ years. I would love to go back and show them how we rolled back then. I wonder why they don't call?

Guess depends on how bed you need the money. A lot better than working some loser minimum wage job I guess.

over9five

Staff member
I have mixed feelings on this. I'll tell y'all a couple of things from the FEEDER perspective:

One guy told me this about why they come back.
"Imagine retiring, and now being able to do all that stuff you said you'd do when you retired... Well, all that takes about 8 months, then you're bored".
Lol, whatever, your mileage may vary!

Anyhow, here in CHEMA we have retirees come back every year.
When you come back as a retiree, you are a TEMP. You have no seniority, you do what you're told. (Now remember, this is Feeders, we have job changes and bids every week).
To get around this "no seniority" thing, a retiree will simply say "I will start at 6am, or I quit" or "I will only work 8 hours, or I will quit". Management is in a bad spot, because they need the drivers, so they get away with this.
As you can imagine, this causes a lot of bad feelings. Man, I'd love a 6am start, but I don't have the seniority, and neither does a temp!

On one hand, I could see myself working Peak in my retirement. On the other hand, it really shouldn't be allowed. OR allow it, but fire them if they can't abide their lack of seniority.

PS, I understand the retirees only wanting 8 hours and a 6am start time. But that is not this job.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I have mixed feelings on this. I'll tell y'all a couple of things from the FEEDER perspective:

One guy told me this about why they come back.
"Imagine retiring, and now being able to do all that stuff you said you'd do when you retired... Well, all that takes about 8 months, then you're bored".
Lol, whatever, your mileage may vary!

Anyhow, here in CHEMA we have retirees come back every year.
When you come back as a retiree, you are a TEMP. You have no seniority, you do what you're told. (Now remember, this is Feeders, we have job changes and bids every week).
To get around this "no seniority" thing, a retiree will simply say "I will start at 6am, or I quit" or "I will only work 8 hours, or I will quit". Management is in a bad spot, because they need the drivers, so they get away with this.
As you can imagine, this causes a lot of bad feelings. Man, I'd love a 6am start, but I don't have the seniority, and neither does a temp!

On one hand, I could see myself working Peak in my retirement. On the other hand, it really shouldn't be allowed. OR allow it, but fire them if they can't abide their lack of seniority.

PS, I understand the retirees only wanting 8 hours and a 6am start time. But that is not this job.

Would you rather it be a retiree

Or a Scab?

oldupsman

Would you rather it be a retiree

Or a Scab?

I'd rather they hire a new full time employee. This is something the union should really not allow.
You need more help hire new full time people and keep benefits and the pension strong.
If you're not ready to retire, don't retire.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
In feeders yeah, I would do it for few extra bucks if I sorta needed the money and I was bored. And of course I would use my new found leverage (they need me more than I need them) to work only the hours that I want.
FYI we don't do this in my area, at least I've never heard of it.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
After how they treated you, they couldn't pay you enough.
Agree, cant wait first Christmas no ups. Plus I like where I work now. And customers like me, and I seldom get yelled at. And only occasionally do we get treated like children. And the heaviest thing I lift all day is a sack of feed. And I see dogs, every....single.....day. and all friendly on leashes.