Would like your Opinions.

nymuscle

So I've been a proud Teamster for 23 yrs I've never worked for UPS throughout my 23 yrs, at this point im entertaining going back to work part time, so over this past peak season I decided to run this seasonal helper position it seems my work performance was up to par because I've been asked to stay on as a part timer if I choose.

So a little about my 23 years with the Teamsters back in 1997 ish i started working for Yellow freight,hard work but it was my choice all ive ever known is hard work,so I was kinda fit right in,I worked as a casual for Roadway before it became YRC and finally went to Consolidated Freightway and we all know what happen there and for those of you that dont they went under in 2002,so I had a choice to go back to Yellow and start over as a casual and try and get on there,but after about a week went by the local called me and put me into the film division and i wound up staying in that until present time and for you folks that dont know that industry look it up,its a :censored2: show in itself,know pun intended,big money long hours,ive been in it now for 15 yrs and im done,i turn 61 in a week or so and i cant retire for a couple of different reason but i wont bore you with those details.
So now after this peak season im being asked to continue working for UPS as either managment or rank and file,im not looking to drive im done, I expressed id like to work the outbound shift reload i think is what you guys call it and the managment positions offerd ranged between flex supervisor and some othe partime twilight position doing time cards shuffling papers ect.
Im sure most on this board are going to have negative things to say about managment positions i get it,but it comes with more money to start and benefits day 1

Either way i know in my heart i just want to be on a loading dock working freight,handling freight and honestly im pretty sure thats going to be my decision,i just love to work hard and thats not going to happen in a managment positon for me,and by the way my son works for UPS as a driver the one time my son listened to me lol thank god !!!
Happy New Year to All !!!

Last edited by a moderator:

over9five

Staff member
No offense, but 61 is at least twice the age of everyone else loading trucks. It's a very physical, fast moving job.
Not so much trying to talk you out of it, just want you to be aware how much work you'll be doing.

Integrity

Binge Poster
So I've been a proud Teamster for 23 yrs I've never worked for UPS throughout my 23 yrs, at this point im entertaining going back to work part time, so over this past peak season I decided to run this seasonal helper position it seems my work performance was up to par because I've been asked to stay on as a part timer if I choose.
So a little about my 23 years with the Teamsters back in 1997 ish i started working for Yellow freight,hard work but it was my choice all ive ever known is hard work,so I was kinda fit right in,I worked as a casual for Roadway before it became YRC and finally went to Consolidated Freightway and we all know what happen there and for those of you that dont they went under in 2002,so I had a choice to go back to Yellow and start over as a casual and try and get on there,but after about a week went by the local called me and put me into the film division and i wound up staying in that until present time and for you folks that dont know that industry look it up,its a :censored2: show in itself,know pun intended,big money long hours,ive been in it now for 15 yrs and im done,i turn 61 in a week or so and i cant retire for a couple of different reason but i wont bore you with those details.
So now after this peak season im being asked to continue working for UPS as either managment or rank and file,im not looking to drive im done, I expressed id like to work the outbound shift reload i think is what you guys call it and the managment positions offerd ranged between flex supervisor and some othe partime twilight position doing time cards shuffling papers ect.
Im sure most on this board are going to have negative things to say about managment positions i get it,but it comes with more money to start and benefits day 1
Either way i know in my heart i just want to be on a loading dock working freight,handling freight and honestly im pretty sure thats going to be my decision,i just love to work hard and thats not going to happen in a managment positon for me,and by the way my son works for UPS as a driver the one time my son listened to me lol thank god !!!
Pondering this post.

I have a question:

Regardless of your decision, management or hourly, are willing to work strictly by the UPS training you receive, UPS Policy Book, and UPS Code of Business Conduct, and very importantly, the Teamster CBA, National and Supplements, regardless of what anyone else does, and I do mean anyone?

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
If you're after the insurance, rank and file

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
i would stick with Freight ,it's MUCH easier to ride a Forklift at your age than to load 4 package cars. RUN if they offer you any type of "management" position as thats a quick ride to hell

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Pondering this post.

I have a question:

Regardless of your decision, management or hourly, are willing to work strictly by the UPS training you receive, UPS Policy Book, and UPS Code of Business Conduct, and very importantly, the Teamster CBA, National and Supplements, regardless of what anyone else does, and I do mean anyone?

A literal impossibility.

Poop Head

Judge me.
Do it brother. Loading trailers is prob the best job at ups for someone who actually likes to work hard. Hopefully they got an mra where youre at so the starting wage is decent. Either way, good luck.

Est.1998

Pondering this post.

I have a question:

Regardless of your decision, management or hourly, are you willing to work strictly by the UPS training you receive, UPS Policy Book, and UPS Code of Business Conduct, and very importantly, the Teamster CBA, National and Supplements, regardless of what anyone else does, and I do mean anyone?
Had to read this a couple times to understand what you're asking.
Now that i understand it I'm wondering why did you ask?
If one was to work strictly by the training received by UPS they would be in direct conflict with all that stuff you listed.
No one works 100% by the book.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Pondering this post.
I have a question:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Have you ever been inside a hub that’s running full tilt?
You might wanna have a look at one before you spread your love of handling freight. It’s about as far from a CF or Yellow dock as you can get

trickpony1

Have you ever been inside a hub that’s running full tilt?
You might wanna have a look at one before you spread your love of handling freight. It’s about as far from a CF or Yellow dock as you can get
I expressed that in my post (#4) but apparently didn't get my point across.
Must be my speech impediment.

Oh, wait.......

Integrity

Binge Poster
Had to read this a couple times to understand what you're asking.
Now that i understand it I'm wondering why did you ask?
If one was to work strictly by the training received by UPS they would be in direct conflict with all that stuff you listed.
No one works 100% by the book.
Maybe maybe not.

I think probably there is.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Not really.

Yes it is. No one who doesn't have access to previous panel and arbitration decisions can't possibly know what the contract says (or at least how it's interpreted). With 300 plus pages of contract to read and learn, plus the requirement to learn contract law, just understanding the plain language of the contract is out of reach for most employees. Then you add in all that other stuff you brought up, and add the 340 methods. You could possibly know what you're expected to do by the time you're ready to retire, if you don't want much of a social life.