Would YOU grieve?

littlelady

there were two people above me one failed road test and the other was disqualified because of an accident on property. I was next in line for a full time spot...They brought me in Monday to get my DOT slip and sent me on my way so that I could take my road test.Directly after I obtained DOT card I was told that someone"upstairs" decided to let the accident not count....for more than one person. They told me yesterday that I was getting a shot ......Now I'm a peg under this kid and he wants it...Can or would you grieve this.

kdogg788

I guess they decided that the person involved in the accident was not at fault. Do you know the details of what happened to them?

-k

over9five

Staff member
Accidents can be changed from avoidable to unavoidable if new evidence (or a grievance!) comes up. If I were you, I would [-]want[/-] demand the whole story. You can demand that as it certainly does affect you.

Good luck!

Inthegame

Seems to be a few missing parts to this puzzle. UPS doesn't look the other way for rollaways. EVER. Also not sure of what CBA Article UPS "violated" in order for the Union to accept your grievance. It would be great for you to get a chance but to do so at another's misfortune leaves a bit of a sour taste for me.

kingOFchester

To answer the question, Yes.

We have 2 new drivers in my center. Neither have made it past the 30 in 90, or what ever it is.

Both have had backing accidents and both are still driving.

You will drive yourself nuts trying to figure out the Big Brown.

UPSGUY72

he was at fault it was a rollaway

It was a rollaway on property ??

What damage was do if any ???

What happen is that this accident was never reported to the insurance Co since no one got hurt, the damage done was minimal if any at all, and it only involved a UPS vehicle on UPS property. Apparently Your SUP and building manager didn't want to fill out a lot of paper work and most importantly have another accident on both of their records so they just let it slide by. It's kind of like what happen when you pull out of the building each day and accidentally scrap the car next to yours. It's and accident but not worth the time and money to fill out the paper work so nobody worries about it.

With that being said it doesn't count against the driver involved even though it might have been his fault. So without an accident on his record they can't DQ him for getting into an accident?

What are you going to grieve ?? That another driver did get charged with an accident ???? Don't burn all your bridges before you get to cross them. I would bet that if you grieved this and somehow won you would never make your 30 days.

Inthegame

If the scenario occured as presented by upsguy72, that Building manager didn't know about it. A sup might take that stupid chance but the manager wouldn't. If discovered they'd both be history. They wouldn't put their fannies on the line for an hourly, most of them would turn in their mothers!

littlelady

Yes on property a package car into a semi trailer cab.Was fired on the spot and had to go before the comittee to get his job back. And if he does have this in his record... which he does. it should dq him especially when the bid sheet clearly stated 1 year with no accidents DUI's ect. I thought about grieving a certain article of my machinist union contract. Which basically says I don't agree with their decision.

AND if I didn't make my 30 I would asume it was retaliation which I could also fight. Tired of being treated like a dumb girl who doesn't stand up for myself.

littlelady

inthe game....sorry about the sour taste in your mouth but I need this job and I am accidet free it only seems fair to follow the guidelines they gave us in the first place. It was an unfortuanate accident for this person and I sympathize but rules are there for a reason are they not?

Inthegame

inthe game....sorry about the sour taste in your mouth but I need this job and I am accidet free it only seems fair to follow the guidelines they gave us in the first place. It was an unfortuanate accident for this person and I sympathize but rules are there for a reason are they not?

I can't see how UPS can get around this one as it clearly happened and was obviously reported. However the contract doesn't require a time frame accident-free for pkg car qualification, UPS's policy does. Grieving a policy adjustment can be a bit dicey, but...they have a duty to treat employees fairly. You can try the disparate treatment standard. Your BA should be able to resolve this quickly. The sour taste went away....

UPSGUY72

If the scenario occured as presented by upsguy72, that Building manager didn't know about it. A sup might take that stupid chance but the manager wouldn't. If discovered they'd both be history. They wouldn't put their fannies on the line for an hourly, most of them would turn in their mothers!

I have seen it happen more than once. One of those being me that got hit while parked while in the back of mar car sorting. When I went to look the person drove off. I called back the to building I gave the SUP there all the info I had about the accident he basically said that unless the person reports it or calls UPS it never happen.

Inthegame

I have seen it happen more than once. One of those being me that got hit while parked while in the back of mar car sorting. When I went to look the person drove off. I called back the to building I gave the SUP there all the info I had about the accident he basically said that unless the person reports it or calls UPS it never happen.
Well your management team is different from the UPS I know. Not that it is a bad thing cause they do get nitpicky, but most management I've dealt with look forward to skewering drivers. Maybe their accident numbers were too high.
Hope it works out for littlelady, and I hope she knows what she's getting into.

C

chuchu

Yes on property a package car into a semi trailer cab.Was fired on the spot and had to go before the comittee to get his job back. And if he does have this in his record... which he does. it should dq him especially when the bid sheet clearly stated 1 year with no accidents DUI's ect. I thought about grieving a certain article of my machinist union contract. Which basically says I don't agree with their decision.

AND if I didn't make my 30 I would asume it was retaliation which I could also fight. Tired of being treated like a dumb girl who doesn't stand up for myself.
If anyone else was DQ'd or received more severe discipline for the same issue THEY have a right to grieve it. The qualifications for going to feeder driving school requires one prior year of safe driving, but where in the contract does it say that applies to fulltime package clasification except maybe in your local rider? The contract is basically set up to protect the bargaining unit work employees from abuse. It is not set up to govern forgiveness. I know a driver hired off the street that had an avoidable accident in their first 30 days of qualification and the company kept the employee on as a driver. The only thing this leniency does in your case and the other employees who follow after them into the same qualification (and classification) period is give you a greater margin for error. Your HAVE to expect the same leniency as the other employee got in the same circumstance. If it was you or me that got the break (especially on a "rollaway"!) and was allow to keep our job we would be pretty thankfull> True? You can at least be glad your management folks are kinder than some of the ones we've seen. Chin up....you're going to get there.

littlelady

I did grie and been told I have a good case also are the teamsters and they have a good case as well.....I'll deal with the aftermath later....