Would you jump to UPS?

chevy721

I currently have a teaching job making $51200 a year teaching. It's not a bad job bit there is virtually no room for advancement and in 10 years I may be making $56000. I have the opportunity to take a job as a permanent employee Temporary Cover Driver. I know I won't be driving everyday and will have to work in the warehouse when I am not driving. I am also aware of the pay difference when I am driving and when I am in the warehouse. I just keep hearing what a great opportunity I have to work for UPS. I know it would take some time to become a full time driver but just getting my foot in the door will open up other opportunities such as administrative or finance positions I could apply for right? I am not afraid of hard work at all. I am just trying to make the right decision for my family because if I make the wrong one I have three little ones that will have to suffer so any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

chevy721

No I have a job here teaching for as long as I want. I'm planning on leaving in a year or two anyway this opportunity has come up really quickly and I have to make a decision.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
My point is...it's a big decision...don't rush into it because UPS promises you the world and needs an answer now. They are always other opportunities.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Plus not having health Insurance for a year. What happens if he doesnt like it?
This job isnt for everyone.
Wow yeah I didn't even think about that part. 3 kids, no insurance....kids doctor visits aren't cheap. Exactly...what if hr hates it or can't physically handle it? It's not an easy job....better off going PT and see if he likes it.

rod

Retired 22 years
How do the benefits of each job compare? Are you talking $51,000 for 9 months work? (not that much different than UPS) Are your superiors at the school constantly telling you what a worthless POS you are? (be prepared for that at UPS) Can you stand being treated like a second grader for the rest of your working life? I know WAY MORE negative UPS people than I know negative school teachers. Think long and hard before you make your decision. UPS isn't for everyone. I vote get a part time job at UPS and DON"T quit your day job----yet. If you do go that route please keep us informed on what you think about the grass being greener theory.

chevy721

How much less to you guess? I am in the fort worth area and they are opening two new buildings. They are hiring off the street and so this is a opportunity that does not come around too often. They have said they are hiring 60 more drivers behind us. I know it's a great opportunity I just don't want to look back in a couple years with regret.

rod

Retired 22 years
How about it some of you who are more up to date on UPS than I am. What would a new off the street driver make? How long before you have insurance. How long does it take to get up to full scale.? Help this person out before they make a decision they most likely will regret. How long does it take to get in the Union now?

How about it some of you who are more up to date on UPS than I am. What would a new off the street driver make? How long before you have insurance. How long does it take to get up to full scale.? Help this person out before they make a decision they most likely will regret. How long does it take to get in the Union now?
One year for healthcare. four years,for top rate.

oldngray

nowhere special
Teachers vary widely depending on where they work as to pay or benefits but it is a job that won't tear you up physically like UPS will. 51-56k for a teacher pay sounds below average. A lot would depend on the benefits. Teachers often have good healthcare and retirement plans but again it varies widely. Personally I wouldn't want to start out as a teacher now in most school systems because I wouldn't have the patience for kids who didn't want to learn and not being allowed to do anything to maintain discipline. If you can handle that situation it may be better for you. UPS has plenty of pressure and BS but of a totally different type.

chevy721

My wife is a teacher as well so insurance is not an issue although the insurance does stink over $500 monthly for the family. Old gray hit it right on the head the school I teach at is inner city. The students are disrespectful and lazy and there are behavior issues all day long. That's why I want a change. I am a former Marine and very much like structure. I am in decent physical condition so that is not really a concern for me. I do appreciate all the feedback I am taking it all into consideration.