Would you operate a company vehicle with inoperative safety equipment?

What would you do if your horn stopped working during the day?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This morning during my pretrip my horn was working but when I got to my first stop (Walmart) it had stopped working. At that point I had a decision to make: Do I call the center, have them send out the mechanic or a spare package car and have them help me transfer all of the packages? or Do I go with what I have and just be really careful? I decided to go with what I had as it would have taken at least an hour for them to have brought a spare package and for us to transfer everything over.

bbsam

Staff member
Did you check your marker lights? I seem to remember the horn and marker lights and dash lights all being on the same circuit in some trucks.

bbsam

Staff member
To answer your question, I would and have had drivers stop and wait for a mechanic. In Iowa, the DOT is highly tuned in to targeting Ground trucks whenever possible.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
A horn is not a red "tag-able" item according to our mechanics which means you could drive it without it
My first reaction was to disagree but as I thought about it, I guess I would agree.
However, it does not support the 5 Seeing habits - Use your horn, lights and signals to communicate in traffic.
Nor for that matter, beep before you back.