Would you pay $60 for a light bulb?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No opinion

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

To be fair, the price of the bulb could be as low as $22 after rebates and it does last for 20 years, but...

I consider myself to be somewhat of a tree hugger. I changed all of my incandescent bulbs to CFL bulbs and have been very pleased; however, I would need 10 of these bulbs and the thought of spending up to $600 for light bulbs is absurd.

rod

Retired 22 years
I would burn whale oil lamps at my house before I would spend 60 bucks on a frikkin lightbulb.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
I have had five year bulbs last 2 years.
Now I save boxes and receipts for refunds.
I want to know how they know the bulb will last 20 years?
Did they make a bunch in 1990 and determine 20 years is the safe number of years to indicate on packaging?

moreluck

golden ticket member
I have had five year bulbs last 2 years.
Now I save boxes and receipts for refunds.
I want to know how they know the bulb will last 20 years?
Did they make a bunch in 1990 and determine 20 years is the safe number of years to indicate on packaging?

Remember the 100 year light...I think it finally burned out....that's "getting your money's worth"!

Bulb has burned over 100 years Abilene Reporter-News

moreluck

golden ticket member
I was just recalling, we moved into this house March '03, and I've never changed the two 60 watts in my 2 living room lamps. Granted, I don't use them all the time, but still, they've lasted 9 years. Cost wise,I probably paid a couple bucks for a 4-pack. That's value, I think.

klein

Für Meno :)
That story was recently brought on the news.
The $59 lightbulb.
According to the news (this pearl of all light bulbs), will last 46 years !
More years than many of us will be living.

Basically, if you buy a home with those bulbs installed, you'll probably never need to replace any of them.
Really, not a bad deal.

Traditional light bulbs being replaced by 46-year bulbs.

TAMPA -- When is a $10 light bulb worth the money? Perhaps when it lasts 46 years and pays for itself in electricity in a year.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Hubby and I just counted every bulb at our house that can be unscrewed and replaced......90!!!

90 x $59 = $5,310.00 !! No Thanks !!

klein

Well, the negative part is that the light coverings may never be washed again. Because I do that everytime it needs a new bulb.

klein

Hubby and I just counted every bulb at our house that can be unscrewed and replaced......90!!!

90 x $59 = $5,310.00 !! No Thanks !!

Oh well, you stocked up, and I didn't. So, I got no other choice.
I think the cheapest are actually $5.99 here.