Would you still full time drive if..?

Logb17

I just finished my first week of full-time package car driving. I was pushed into it by my wife. She doesn't want to work anymore because she hates her schedule now that we have kids. (thurs-sunday) I had been working preload and driving saturday air for 11 years. I was getting 34-36 hours a week, checks are around 620-650 a week after tax, or 40k last year.

I knew i would not like ft driving very much, but, i hate it even more then i thought i would. I haven't been able to sleep at night thinking about doing this for another 19 years. Since I had previous experience, they already stuck me with 100 industrial stops and 50 pups(a full route)

My wife says if I go back to my old job she is quitting her job, taking out student loans, and is going back to school to be a nurse. She even threatened to leave, cause I told her that would be a bad idea to go in to debt. She said "well, I guess we obviously want different things in life, and maybe this wont work."

What would you do? I feel trapped. My wife is only making it harder, makes me want to go back more..

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Time to grow up and plunge into the drudgery if you want to save your marriage and family.
Behind every great man there is a great woman.
Behind every unhappy UPS driver there is a bitchy wife who wants things. :speechless:

First things first. Go into a room my yourself with a mirror. Look in it and then check to see if you have balls. If you do look yourself in the mirror and ask yourself if you are a man. My grandfather and my father never missed work and spent a lot of days at work and I'm pretty sure they didn't like it everyday. I learned from this so maybe you didn't. So I'm here to give you this peep talk. Man up take care of your family you are not always going to be happy and it sounds like your wife isn't happy with the 40gees.

As far as her leaving you if you don't take the job she should learn to be a woman who knows what for better or worse means. She might not so it's time for you to find them balls and take care of business and save the day. Control the situation and make the best of it.

Nickfury7

I would trade jobs witg you any day, im doing air driving right now, abd its so boring. I cant wait to get back to a truck full of packages! I loved it. Lol. sounds crazy. I hate just doing 8-10 stops a day! I need 180 atleast!

P

pickup

I just finished my first week of full-time package car driving. I was pushed into it by my wife. She doesn't want to work anymore because she hates her schedule now that we have kids. (thurs-sunday) I had been working preload and driving saturday air for 11 years. I was getting 34-36 hours a week, checks are around 620-650 a week after tax, or 40k last year.

I knew i would not like ft driving very much, but, i hate it even more then i thought i would. I haven't been able to sleep at night thinking about doing this for another 19 years. Since I had previous experience, they already stuck me with 100 industrial stops and 50 pups(a full route)

My wife says if I go back to my old job she is quitting her job, taking out student loans, and is going back to school to be a nurse. She even threatened to leave, cause I told her that would be a bad idea to go in to debt. She said "well, I guess we obviously want different things in life, and maybe this wont work."

What would you do? I feel trapped. My wife is only making it harder, makes me want to go back more..

Seriously, see a marriage counselor. Conflicting wants here, she couldn't stand her schedule so she convinced you to change your schedule to have longer hours. You don't want your longer schedule obviously.

As someone else said, this is more than about FT driving. Best of luck.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
I would trade jobs witg you any day, im doing air driving right now, abd its so boring. I cant wait to get back to a truck full of packages! I loved it. Lol. sounds crazy. I hate just doing 8-10 stops a day! I need 180 atleast!

8-10 stops??? R U sure your not a Walker.LMAO. Air drivers in my area get 25-35.

Johney

I don't want to sound harsh, but I will....toss that chick to the curb. Once they get that mind set where you are the money maker some women just say "friend" it he will support me.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
As a woman, I would not want my husband to take a job to support the family, that he doesnt want. Especially when things are working ok this way.
Marriage counseling probably, but.
She wants you to be unhappy so she can be happy. To me thats selfish.

P

pickup

The longer he keeps at this new job at higher pay, the more likely it is that his alimony would be higher if he got divorced.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I don't want to sound harsh, but I will....toss that chick to the curb. Once they get that mind set where you are the money maker some women just say "friend" it he will support me.
Best answer so far. See a good divorce lawyer and start planning for the next phase of your life. Any alimony and child support that you end up paying will be way cheaper than spending your life being miserable.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Best answer so far. See a good divorce lawyer and start planning for the next phase of your life. Any alimony and child support that you end up paying will be way cheaper than spending your life being miserable.
This whole thing sounds hinky to me. I can easily see both sides but her side sounds a little more 'off' than his. I can't say as I disagree with you.

Johney

Look I don't want to sound bad and thanks for agreeing with me to a point, but I will say I supported my wife for a long time so she could take care of our kids but she did do whatever she could to help; substitute teaching,baby-sitting..whatever.Now the kids are grown and she is back in school while working to better our lives.God I got a good one:happy2:.

Logb17

I get her side of it. She wants more family time, and I did tell her I would full time drive even though I hate driving. She didn't seem to care that I said I hated driving. Now that Im doing it, she sees my spirits are down, and ive been grumpy. She now says I shouldn't do it if I REALLY hate it, but then she brings out the threats with school and living expense loans. She knows I can't stand the thought of going into debt. I asked her to try and get wed-saturday shift instead of thur-sunday, and she got mad and said its still not fair to her because she doesnt get home til 7:30-9:30 at night and will miss everything during the week. I guess its ok if I miss everything though...

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I get her side of it. She wants more family time, and I did tell her I would full time drive even though I hate driving. She didn't seem to care that I said I hated driving. Now that Im doing it, she sees my spirits are down, and ive been grumpy. She now says I shouldn't do it if I REALLY hate it, but then she brings out the threats with school and living expense loans. She knows I can't stand the thought of going into debt. I asked her to try and get wed-saturday shift instead of thur-sunday, and she got mad and said its still not fair to her because she doesnt get home til 7:30-9:30 at night and will miss everything during the week. I guess its ok if I miss everything though...
If she wants more family time including you then FT driving is NOT, I repeat NOT, the way to go. You won't be home for family time.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

There is nothing harder that you will have to work on in your life than your marriage.

From Lyle Lovett - Shes No Lady
---------------------------
The preacher asked her
And she said I do
The preacher asked me
And she said yes he does too
And the preacher said
I pronounce you 99 to life
Son she's no lady she's your wife

brown bomber

brown bomber
I always thought that marriage, was like a cooperative......there has to be some give and take....I can understand the wife wanting to stay home , take care of the household, and hold down that full-time job (homemaker).........until the kids are a bit older, and then perhaps start into a new career......if you can swing it w/ one income.....the kids will be the winners