Would you take a cut in pay if it meant keeping your job?

Would you take a paycut to keep your job?

• Yes

Votes: 40 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 32 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If we all took a pay decrease to stop layoffs, there would still be layoffs and the company would still work everyone they could over 9.5 everyday, it wouldn't suprize me to even more paid off so we all could work 12 hours per day. Overtime and the triple time penalty would be cheaper for them to pay.
I don't think taking a pay cut would save anyone's job, well maybe s.davis's.

chev

Nightcrawler
I don't think it would be right to ask someone making $8.50 an hour to take a cut but for the most part I would vote for a pay cut if it meant having a job or not having one. That is if EVERYONE making over a certain amount would also give the same percentage up. Determining where the cut off would be would be the hard part. As long as the company is making a good profit paycuts shouldn't even be brought up.:peaceful:
Ahhh. The ole Obama theory. :laughing:
Sorry. I had to say it.
Heff is right. We did take a screwing at last contract. Thanks Hoffa. (Insert rude gesture here)

This company is like the gooberment. They would apply the "temporary" tax (our pay cut) and never repeal it when times are not as lean.

feeder53

ADKtrails
When I worked for Leaseway Transportation, my first union job, we were asked to do the giveback thing and we did.....7 months later they went non-union and we were in the street. I would be very hesitant to take another cut. There are no Guaranties in life...

john346

No more Brown!
Very good question & thread. Unfortunately, this may indeed be a reality in the not too distant future.
The big three auto makers all are contending that if the union pay scale & pensions were relieved from them they would more than likely still be happily pumping out the same crap that no one apparently really wants to buy. This is a very slippery slope, at what point is it to much drain on the company to keep increasing the employee wages? But if corporate management were to have their way, we'd all be making far less and have far less if nothing to protect us and our future. If the recent Republican blocking of the auto rescue plan shows us anything, I believe it will indeed show us what is to come where corporations are blaming the squeeze of the unions on their financial troubles will take them, or us all.
As for the pay cut, if it were a unified decrease, with concessions as to the return to normal once the company is again healthy, then yes. Ahhh to live in a perfect world.

cwmaxxout

Old saying so they give-it and then they take-it away! If UAW first of course Teamsters next on there list of Big Three also ASfME. When they take they never give it back. Pray that I'm so so wrong MAXXOUT!!!!!!!

Pip

A couple things bother me with the question, and it's not with the poster by any means, just the question its self. I think it is really premature at this point to even think about something like that. I just got this feeling that once talk like this starts, it ends up snowballing into something or giving corporate an idea to try to push this.

I'm not really sure you can compare UPS with the situation the big 3 are in. The big 3 started down the road they are on several years ago, when they were flooding the market with unrealistic incentives on vehicle's. The big 3 it seems are their own worst enemy. Corporate luxuries, excessive CEO pay and bonus's. They were living for the day and not the future. Mismanagement I think is the major culprit with the big 3.

Every driver, loader, unloader, mechanic, etc, works there butts off for what they make. Cutting pay and being expected to maintain the same results is not really fair to anybody. I just don't think this is the appropriate time to even consider something like this.

spuman

my stop count has nearly doubled in the last 5 years,I couldn't
consider a pay cut without a decrease in the work load.

Kingpin13

who the hell would say no? if you say no to the pay cut and u lose your job, where you gonna work? GM? fedex freight? yellowfreight? nobodys hiring really, and the few that are hiring dont pay shtuff

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
A couple things bother me with the question, and it's not with the poster by any means, just the question its self. I think it is really premature at this point to even think about something like that. I just got this feeling that once talk like this starts, it ends up snowballing into something or giving corporate an idea to try to push this.

I'm not really sure you can compare UPS with the situation the big 3 are in. The big 3 started down the road they are on several years ago, when they were flooding the market with unrealistic incentives on vehicle's. The big 3 it seems are their own worst enemy. Corporate luxuries, excessive CEO pay and bonus's. They were living for the day and not the future. Mismanagement I think is the major culprit with the big 3.

Every driver, loader, unloader, mechanic, etc, works there butts off for what they make. Cutting pay and being expected to maintain the same results is not really fair to anybody. I just don't think this is the appropriate time to even consider something like this.

I was just curious as to what employess opinions were....I honestly dont think UPS will get to that point.

kenco80233

We had our wages frozen back in the early 80s for about 3 years during a reccession.I believe Ronald Reagan was the president at the time.

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
Yes, all supervisors should take a pay cut

o_rly_owl.jpg

I'm not really sure you can compare UPS with the situation the big 3 are in. The big 3 started down the road they are on several years ago, when they were flooding the market with unrealistic incentives on vehicle's. The big 3 it seems are their own worst enemy. Corporate luxuries, excessive CEO pay and bonus's. They were living for the day and not the future. Mismanagement I think is the major culprit with the big 3.[ quote]

Where we can learn from this,at least the union part, is that the UAW contracts got to be what they are from being negotiated initially during the period when the Big 3 were the Big 3. At one time GM controlled 50% of all auto sales. At that time of high profitability the UAW negotiated rich contracts for their people with some benefits that are impractical now. Is the UAW the only cause of the Big 3`s woes? No,but it is part.
We are currently working for a company that enjoys good profits and should learn from the downfall of the other big companies when we handle our business.

As far as the vote on pay cuts,only if it starts for those at the top as well as those at the bottom.

Bad Gas!

I'd take a paycut if they went back to the old and somewhat fair time allowences where 90% of drivers didn't look like a slack fools even though we are doing the same productive work as before the adjustments to EDD...
I voted yes..

BigBrownSanta

I would gladly take a pay cut to 8 hours a day. Other than that, not no, but hell no. The company routinely forces me to work 2 to 3 hours a day of OT and then wants to turn around and have me take a pay cut? I don't ask the company to pay me $1800 a week. This is not even mentioning the triple time for going over 9.5.

If the company has the money to blow on OT and triple time grievances, they sure don't have a leg to stand on for pay cuts.