Wow...can't believe UPS is short handed enough to...

have a pter do a heavy business route cold. It was rather brutal...there were some missed. Feel kinda bad about it. Well...at least I know what to do next time they throw me to the wolves...It's ehfff ORION and EDD it is. I even called them at 11 and told them I was roundly ehffed. Oh well...I tried hard...but around pickup time I figured there was no sense in being too stressed out and relaxed. Anywho...rant over. I get paid by the hour right? Anyone have suggestions for doing routes cold?
When I was a split driver management was all about butting the split drivers out blind. I'd tank the routes that I went on so bad that stop putting me out on a route I didn't know. It worked out so I never went out in another center in my bldg.

The Milkman

2 summers ago they sent me out 5 times during the summer. So I gave them an honest 14 hour day. I took all my brakes, full hour lunch, called at 3:30 to get my pieces brought in. I then delivered and missed about 10-15 stops and punched out after 11pm. Then the next day I couldn't start till 11am. They also can learn the hard way

One peak back in the 90's One of our drivers father passed away. I was a split driver for about 8 yrs before landing my own rte. I did this drivers rte many times over the years but by this time it was maybe 5 yrs since.. Instead of putting a junior driver on they pushed me to do it..Many changes by then, I think I was on paper last time I did it..Anyway they line me up with a helper (1st Day 40yr old gal) to meet on rte, keep her 4 hrs...ok...Old beat up 6 cube, had nice 5 cube on mine...So I took my sweet time, went to the Post office on some RD addresses and made a sincere effort to deliver every frikkin pkg.. Kept the gal over 8 hrs, bought back 2 or 3 CNL...clocked out about 11:30 pm........Next morning, in the office with Shop Steward, Mgr claims I was the highest paid driver in the District and I single handidly bought down the center..My Response " Hey, I thought I did a Good Job" That was the last time I was ever off my route again...:wink2:

barnyard

KTM rider
Not really a valid argument.

When I went out blind on routes, there was no EDD/PAS. Each shelf had to be set up based on area knowledge and you had to spend time at every stop to make sure that you got all the packages for that address. Many preloaders put stuff on the floor and shelf. It was not uncommon for me to go back to several stops when I found packages later in the day.

Other than knowing what door to go to (and many of the less obvious doors are noted with a cPad message), it is way, way, way easier to go out blind today than it was 8-10 years ago.

There is really no reason why an experienced driver could not go out on a route blind and within 3 days be matching the regular guy's numbers. There are still 4 or 5 routes in my center that I do not know and I have been thinking about doing them just to prove the point. Besides that, maybe I will find a nicer place to have lunch.

Yes well you use to have time to figure stuff out. Now they don't schedule you enough time to take a piss.

Last edited:

giggity

that's only if the route you're being put on is your new bid route ... and good luck getting 3 days. 1 is about all you're gonna get.

scoutlover

I've been getting screwed on the whole "running routes blind" thing for years. It started when I was a RTD and continued well after I was full-time. I ran close to 35 routes blind in 5 different centers (I was loaned out to neighboring centers a good bit) before they finally hired some guys under me. Now I'm being screwed again because they won't train the new guys on anything and going out blind is a thing of the past. So I'm stuck running the same ballbuster routes over and over while the new guys get to run the cush routes because those belong to the drivers who go home every day. We have some drivers who have been full time for 2 plus years that only know one route while I learned 10-15 in my first 6 months...

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I've been getting screwed on the whole "running routes blind" thing for years. It started when I was a RTD and continued well after I was full-time. I ran close to 35 routes blind in 5 different centers (I was loaned out to neighboring centers a good bit) before they finally hired some guys under me. Now I'm being screwed again because they won't train the new guys on anything and going out blind is a thing of the past. So I'm stuck running the same ballbuster routes over and over while the new guys get to run the cush routes because those belong to the drivers who go home every day. We have some drivers who have been full time for 2 plus years that only know one route while I learned 10-15 in my first 6 months...

I hate to say it, but you've brought this on yourself. If you're a bid cover driver, and you have seniority over those other drivers, then you have to stand up and CHOOSE the routes you WANT to run. It's your right. But only if you stand up for yourself and assert your seniority. Yes, they'll be pissed. No, it doesn't matter.

Second, the reason why you always get stuck running routes cold, is because you're getting those routes done. How is that? The fact of the matter is, if you get stuck on ballbusting routes, follow the methods and take your lunch at typical lunch times, you won't get done. And if this happens a couple of times, they won't put you on routes cold. Maybe I'm wrong--wouldn't be the first time--but it sounds like you've been pushed to go against your wishes. And that only happens one way...

The Milkman

I hate to say it, but you've brought this on yourself. If you're a bid cover driver, and you have seniority over those other drivers, then you have to stand up and CHOOSE the routes you WANT to run. It's your right. But only if you stand up for yourself and assert your seniority. Yes, they'll be pissed. No, it doesn't matter.

Second, the reason why you always get stuck running routes cold, is because you're getting those routes done. How is that? The fact of the matter is, if you get stuck on ballbusting routes, follow the methods and take your lunch at typical lunch times, you won't get done. And if this happens a couple of times, they won't put you on routes cold. Maybe I'm wrong--wouldn't be the first time--but it sounds like you've been pushed to go against your wishes. And that only happens one way...

:youreright:

scoutlover

It's been quite some time since I've ran one blind. As someone said, it was a lot different back then as far as having time to figure things out. The main reason they don't allow running blind now is because every route is on the knife's edge of not making service with the bid driver, let alone someone blind. As far as using seniority, I have tried all I can. The fact of the matter is in a RTW state with a very weak union, being bumped off a bid route holds very little water when there is no real punishment (penalty pay)when you file a grievance.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Yeah easy to run in the blind with super idiot load and super idiot dispatch. Like really dude what are you smoking? That's a really stupid comment man im sorry. Im not trying to be a jerk about it but the loads are so jacked up on your regular route, how you going to make out on a route your running in the blind. Besides the fact that the dols are super screwed up and the edds all cut up. Maybe you have a good center maybe but just saying facts are facts.

BrownArmy

I went out today, not on the blind, but on a route I don't know all that well (driver's on vacation).

Punched out at 21:00.

Couldn't fit all the packages in the PC, I had to meet someone who delivered me the overflow.

The route driver has all the apt. codes, many keys/key-cards, etc., and he's given me a few (the 4-digit codes you can punch in), but he doesn't let the keys/key-cards off his person, and I don't blame him.

I didn't tank the route, I just did my best and let the chips fall.

I didn't appreciate the empty tank of gas, the broken hazard switch, and quite a few questionable send-agains, but I get paid by the hour, and I didn't make any plans tonight anyway... :greedy:

Dracula

It's been quite some time since I've ran one blind. As someone said, it was a lot different back then as far as having time to figure things out. The main reason they don't allow running blind now is because every route is on the knife's edge of not making service with the bid driver, let alone someone blind. As far as using seniority, I have tried all I can. The fact of the matter is in a RTW state with a very weak union, being bumped off a bid route holds very little water when there is no real punishment (penalty pay)when you file a grievance.

You still should have a pick of the routes by seniority. So what if they don't have someone to train these lower seniority drivers? That's not your problem, it's management's. What if you're on vacation some week when you're the only one who knows these routes? Are you supposed come off vacation to help out? If it were me, I would go in tomorrow and tell your supervisor that you will no longer run these routes and that they need to make a plan to cover those routes because you are going to start picking the routes you WANT to run.

And then do just that.

slantnosechevy

Yes well you use to have time to figure stuff out. Now they don't schedule you enough time to take a piss.

Who cares? That's their numbers. Take your breaks and lunch. Go by EDD and do the job safe. I can't believe how many injuries are happening now and guys just keep burning them up. We've got 4 guys off with hernias now. Get hurt or have an accident and find out first hand how your life changes. The only favors you should be doing these days is to your body.

BrownArmy

We have a fair amount of drivers out with injuries now (only half of which are real...do what you have to do, I guess).

I told the center manager that he was 'killing the horses' before the Kentucky-Derby has even started, and that he should be 'resting the stable' before the big race. No response: he knows it, but his hands are tied.

For all purposes, it's been 'peak' for a few years now: cut routes and keep drivers out till 8-9-10 pm, rinse and repeat.

Come the real 'peak', we're screwed. We're all exhausted now, the next four months are going to be pure H-E-double-hockey-sticks.

My earliest punch-out in the last two months has been 19:45.

I'm tired.

We have a fair amount of drivers out with injuries now (only half of which are real...do what you have to do, I guess).

I told the center manager that he was 'killing the horses' before the Kentucky-Derby has even started, and that he should be 'resting the stable' before the big race. No response: he knows it, but his hands are tied.

For all purposes, it's been 'peak' for a few years now: cut routes and keep drivers out till 8-9-10 pm, rinse and repeat.

Come the real 'peak', we're screwed. We're all exhausted now, the next four months are going to be pure H-E-double-hockey-sticks.

My earliest punch-out in the last two months has been 19:45.

I'm tired.
u need to OP,T IN!

Squint

No more work for me!

You are right but the company will call the famous "Area Knowledge" line and you get screwed again. There were advantages of knowing many routes. It's been so long since I had to climb in a truck I've forgotten those advantages. Oh yeah, I knew all the good shaded eateries and truly I could not get lost at all in Northern NJ, not even when I would try.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You are right but the company will call the famous "Area Knowledge" line and you get screwed again. There were advantages of knowing many routes. It's been so long since I had to climb in a truck I've forgotten those advantages. Oh yeah, I knew all the good shaded eateries and truly I could not get lost at all in Northern NJ, not even when I would try.

If your bid coverage they can only use area knowledge as an excuse for the first 6 months. You need to file everyday your on something different. The company the union or both will get tired of the paper work and do something about it.

Dracula

Maybe your supplement is different from mine, but "Area Knowledge" isn't in the contract. That's management buzz words. Look, I'm not slamming you. Years ago, when I was a bid cover driver, I went through what you're going through. Then one day, I had enough. I told them I was going to run what I wanted to run. If I was floating that week, I would come in, and one of the sups would tell me that they needed me to run a certain route. I then told them I needed to see a list of who was off for that day so I could pick. That was when the shouting would start. They would bitch and moan about how the other drivers didn't know this or that route. They would already have drivers penciled in where they wanted them. They would try to hide who was doing what.

It took about a week for everything to settle down. That's how long it took them to realize that things were going to be different. After that, I never again had trouble. If you want to run the routes you want to run, you need to make your stand. If you're not used to arguing with them, it won't be easy. But I GUARANTEE you, it will be worth it when they learn that you will no longer be pushed around. And then, amazingly, those lower seniority drivers will learn those other routes.

Stand up brother!