Write up!

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
File on it immediately (article 37). Don't sign anything - NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY. You won't get fired. Work as if it never happened. Just another management scare tactic

Last edited:

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Are you a p/t loader or what?
Written up for damages? LMAO. Sounds like someone got chewed out and is passing the blame to you. *** rolls downhill.

I load feeders. Most damages are because either the customer/company didn't package the item correctly, or management pushed too much volume through the system too fast. The latter of the two is more common here.

Nothing happens. Don't sign anything and keep showing up to work on time everyday. Talk to a steward to get it off your record, but don't even worry about man.

Last edited by a moderator:

cynic

And you requested representation from a union steward the minute the discussion involved the possibility of what you perceived to be disciplinary measures, RIGHT? Wrong?

Integrity

Binge Poster
I got written up at work today for having 4 damages on the same day. What happens now? Can I easily get fired now?
Gr4ffbomber,

What exactly are you charged with when you say having 4 damages?

I would be better able to comment if I know the charges, having 4 damages is too vague for me to respond.

Sincerely,
I

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
What happens now?

You go to work tomorrow like it never happened. Corporate Loss Prevention is flipping out right now over damages, so if any FT supervisor has a level above the "acceptable" threshold, he's being chewed out on conference calls for an hour a day and is also being instructed to write up his employees for them. That's how UPS works.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
package care is a huge problem right now. it's going to be the flavor of the month for a while. When we are double digits worse than our main competitor in the amount of damage claims reported, it's not just because a shipper didn't box something right. Everyone needs to do their part, and if you were caught standing and crushing boxes, throwing, bending, etc etc etc....you won't have much ground to stand on.

But yeah, don't be surprised if managers start getting a little over-zealous about this stuff for a while..

Notcool

Nothing happens when UPS sends 600 packages into my truck I am only run 300pph. Stuff gets jammed falls on the floor, jammed in the diverters. Its UPS's fault pushing too much flow.

cynic

package care is a huge problem right now. it's going to be the flavor of the month for a while. When we are double digits worse than our main competitor in the amount of damage claims reported, it's not just because a shipper didn't box something right. Everyone needs to do their part, and if you were caught standing and crushing boxes, throwing, bending, etc etc etc....you won't have much ground to stand on.

But yeah, don't be surprised if managers start getting a little over-zealous about this stuff for a while..

Unloading, I'm pulling at least 3 packages per trailer out and setting aside to have "repaired". Usually the result of a light package (fragile) having an irreg placed on top of it. *crushed* Show it to the PT sup because it's certain trailers from certain cities that are the ones with the most damage to packages. They're like "yeah yeah, labels up, keep it moving" - typical PT sup response - not my problem.

cynic

And you requested representation from a union steward the minute the discussion involved the possibility of what you perceived to be disciplinary measures, RIGHT? Wrong?

You never answered this - did you request a steward? And did you sign, even "RTS", anything?

BrownBrokeDown

LMAO. You gotta be kidding me. How about providing enough loaders where the loads aren't waist deep in the egresses, the belt isn't stacked above the pickoffs heads on the belt backing up to the sort aisle, we are allowed to shut the belt off without harassment when we need to, the sort aisle doesn't just pile **** on our belt that is turned off where it jams (crushing boxes) when the belt is turned back on, not putting irregs on the belt, and not putting bagged fabrics on the belt (bag gets caught under any and all diverters ripping it) and pt sup's not telling the loaders to "just put the damaged boxes in the trailers" off the record?

cynic

LMAO. You gotta be kidding me. How about providing enough loaders where the loads aren't waist deep in the egresses, the belt isn't stacked above the pickoffs heads on the belt backing up to the sort aisle, we are allowed to shut the belt off without harassment when we need to, the sort aisle doesn't just pile **** on our belt that is turned off where it jams (crushing boxes) when the belt is turned back on, not putting irregs on the belt, and not putting bagged fabrics on the belt (bag gets caught under any and all diverters ripping it) and pt sup's not telling the loaders to "just put the damaged boxes in the trailers" off the record?

When I did load, my PT sup would tell me to load it but not scan it if it was damaged.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

Typically, not even FT supervisors are allowed to dictate their own staffing.. so it's probably not his fault, directly. This is the portion of the Big Brown Scam where it bottlenecks.. slamming out as much PPH for 3.5 hours and sending all the PT'ers home only works until big accounts start suffering obscene amounts of damages. My hub alone had over $100 million in damage claims by the 3rd fiscal quarter.. region-level LP managers have been touring around at least every other week and even tried to fire one of my guys for "willfully destroying packages" a short while ago.

nicky

Our building was too small 20 years ago, we have trailers hooked to bays with 8 package cars loaded off them. There are probably 5 of those there are also two to three permanent extensions off the buildings. So essentially we are trying to shove 10 gallons of crap in a 5 gallon bucket then when the crap gets broken we need to find someone to blame it on.

didyousheetit

you are right it is a problem, however we don't record damages any more from the drivers point of view. where did you get your stats on our main competitor having less claims than us? If that's true they must not have any or they play games with numbers like we do. Yes, the preloaders do need to watch how they handle packages better.

TheFigurehead

Unloading, I'm pulling at least 3 packages per trailer out and setting aside to have "repaired". Usually the result of a light package (fragile) having an irreg placed on top of it. *crushed* Show it to the PT sup because it's certain trailers from certain cities that are the ones with the most damage to packages. They're like "yeah yeah, labels up, keep it moving" - typical PT sup response - not my problem.

3 packages? that's a good trailer at my facility. Every truck we get, the packages are leaning at lease 30 degrees forward or back, if it hasn't collaped completely into a giant pile. Bent, crushed, broken, and open packages are probably at least 30% of the load. I don't think it's a training issue... but rather an issue of workload. I guess just throwing the 80 lb package on top of the five foot high wall of flimsy ten pound packages is easier than getting bitched at every five minutes for not going fast enough. It sucks for the unloaders, and even more so for the customers, who were probably hoping to receive their package in an acceptable condition. The sad part, however, is it doesn't even benefit the company. Every minute a loader saves by building sub par walls is wasted by an unloader having to deal with their mess.

WhereDoIWorkAgain

It has been a big issue at my facility as well. We have a 2 major problems causing it. First in my 5 years at ups the number of irregs has increased probably 5 fold over where it was before (observation not confirmed numbers). They have a tendency to be somewhat randomly sprinkled into trailers where before they were always in the nose or tail and typically only stacked on other irregs (some long light packages or large light and flat were an exception). They are now crushing other packages and lots of times small packages are being used to fill between irregs. This causes a lot of damages. We also have a bad problem of trying to force way to much volume through the belts to fast. The average package is also much larger than what our buildings belt system was designed for 40 years ago. This means getting broken on the corners where packages bunch up. Oh add to it a fairly new sensor system that constantly stops the belts and standing orders in direct violation of listed policy to keep putting packages on the stopped belts at that point including stacking on the belts.

FilingBluesFL

I had one the other day, had the jangle of broken glass inside, I sheeted it as we were instructed to do via DIAD training, and I get a message 30 minutes later:

"WHY IS PACKAGE MISSED YOU NEED TO VOID AND RESHEET PACKAGE IT IS NOT MISSED SHEET REFUSED DIDNT WANT"

"Why was I constantly asked for 2 days to do DIAD training on how to sheet damaged packages if you're just going to tell me to do something completely different, in direct contradiction of what we were "trained" to do?"