XMas Eve airs

Holydriver

Is there an abnormally high number of airs on christmas eve because every year we start later and later on that day to accomodate for potentiallly having late airs. like 2 weeks in advance the company posts a later start time assuming there will be late airs. it seems to me the best approach would be to start at a normal time, deliver as many of your grounds as possible and have meet points for airs. hell, most have been delivered in trace anyway. and by getting an earlier start time 1- the employees would be home earlier to make "the most important stop of the day" with their families and 2- the customers would get their xmas gifts in time to actually wrap them and put them under the tree.

barnyard

KTM rider
Much of the late air is savers. We started early one Christmas eve and did meets. I had to rerun what I had already done and quite a few of the stops I had been to already. With almost no pickups, I would rather leave with all my stops than do a meet.

oldngray

nowhere special
Much of the late air is savers. We started early one Christmas eve and did meets. I had to rerun what I had already done and quite a few of the stops I had been to already. With almost no pickups, I would rather leave with all my stops than do a meet.

You want to get on the road early to get as much business as possible delivered before they close. If they get a late package at least you got rid of the rest.

Holding drivers in the building when they know there will be late waves of air is stupid.

9.5er

We start at normal time and meet after late air arrives. No different than any other time the air shuttle is late.
If air is going to e there at 9:30 I'd rather wait for it. But if it will not there til after that let me go drop off what I can.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Late air is a no win situation. You wait a half hour for two air stops, you're ticked. Go to a meet point and you get a bunch of air for stops you've already delivered, you're ticked. Go to a meet point and the shuttle is late, you're ticked. The half hour late shuttle gives you one package, you're ticked. Let's just face it, late air screws up your day.

9.5 everyday

It is pretty ridiculous having a late start time. Ours is 10:00. It was nice years ago when we only did next day and second days. 30-40 stops max. I'm sure I'll be going out with 150+ stops. There's also word in our building of the possibility of working Christmas Day. But since it's a religious holiday, I won't be able to make it.

Holydriver

We start at normal time and meet after late air arrives. No different than any other time the air shuttle is late.
If air is going to e there at 9:30 I'd rather wait for it. But if it will not there til after that let me go drop off what I can.
thats what im saying. we are starting way later than 930. by the time we are starting i could have driven the 1 hour to delivery area and have already gotten off a good 15 stops. thats a big deal considering how important it is to get all pieces off that day

Holydriver

Late air is a no win situation. You wait a half hour for two air stops, you're ticked. Go to a meet point and you get a bunch of air for stops you've already delivered, you're ticked. Go to a meet point and the shuttle is late, you're ticked. The half hour late shuttle gives you one package, you're ticked. Let's just face it, late air screws up your day.
sure it does, but why hold drivers in the building waiting for late airs to arrive when they could at a minimum get off a lot of grounds? because now instead of redelivering a few stops, im waiting an hour and a half later to start my entire route

ups1990

During peak, I prefer to leave and have the air shuttled to me. I have a strip mall that I need to deliver to as early as possible because of the cluster that builds with last minute shoppers. Most late airs during peak are residential and so I can manuever my way to them much easier as oppose to a business. Just my take.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We worked today and were told that Louisville does not expect to be able to process all of the air in time for delivery on the 24th and that we can expect to deliver the overflow on the 25th. Our center manager will be posting a sign up sheet on Monday for anyone who wants to volunteer to work on the 25th at triple time. It is extremely tempting but I am going to pass in favor of spending the day in Albany with my son, daughter, granddaughter and son in law.