specter208

Hello, I'm a PT Yard Shifter. Was told by a driver friend that there is a good possibility I will be used as a driver for peak since I am certified to drive UPS vehicles. How and is this possible? Thank you for info

specter208

I don’t believe you have to have anything to be a shifter,I may be wrong though
No I don't need a cdl for my current shifting job. But I want to know if I can be used to do extra driving work for peak, potentially passing other PTers that are higher seniority.

trickpony1

I never said the OP needed a CDL to shift.
His first post mentioned "other vehicles".
Feeders and pkg cars would be included in "other vehicles".

Sorry I asked.

Box Ox

Hello, I'm a PT Yard Shifter. Was told by a driver friend that there is a good possibility I will be used as a driver for peak since I am certified to drive UPS vehicles. How and is this possible? Thank you for info

I don’t think yard shifting would automatically “certify” you to drive other UPS vehicles. My past observation has been that management tries to keep shifters shifting instead of going RTD because so few people want to shift. Don’t let anybody tell you you can’t drive seasonally just because there aren’t any shifters around.

specter208

I don’t think yard shifting would automatically “certify” you to drive other UPS vehicles. My past observation has been that management tries to keep shifters shifting instead of going RTD because so few people want to shift. Don’t let anybody tell you you can’t drive seasonally just because there aren’t any shifters around.
Excellent, just like you said it. I feel I didn't word out my original question well enough. I should have just said it like this: Since I am now Pat shifter at my building, does that allow me to jump over PT loaders that have more seniority than me to drive seasonally during peak.

BTW, I am not the only shifter at my building, and I'm asked to park and move around package cars and 24' vans all the time when ever I shift.

Retiree

You can sign the inside seasonal driver bid sheet, complete driver app, get DOT MEC, go to seasonal driver school and then go to center as peak season driver Job ends no later than Jan 15 th - under current contract.

Box Ox

Excellent, just like you said it. I feel I didn't word out my original question well enough. I should have just said it like this: Since I am now Pat shifter at my building, does that allow me to jump over PT loaders that have more seniority than me to drive seasonally during peak.

BTW, I am not the only shifter at my building, and I'm asked to park and move around package cars and 24' vans all the time when ever I shift.

Nope. No advantage for seniority purposes.