Yay i qualified

UrFellowUpser

Now i have to hussle and grind on days im not on a route any tips cause im low on the totem pole. Should i ask drivers in my particular group if they want off for the day or work local sort? What should a rookie do

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Now i have to hussle and grind on days im not on a route any tips cause im low on the totem pole. Should i ask drivers in my particular group if they want off for the day or work local sort? What should a rookie do
Show up in uniform everyday whether you're scheduled to drive or not. Eventually you won't have to look for people who want the day off, they'll be on you like vultures.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Know your spot on the seniority list.
You're last right now, but that won't last for long.
Pay attention to who's working and who isn't.
Watch for trainees trying to qualify.
For some reason, some supes think they can work ahead of seniority employees when they are qualifying, simply not true.
The Company will try to work drivers by knowledge, rather than seniority.
Don't be afraid to grieve when your seniority is violated.
They won't be happy, but you will be whole, and it will very likely never happen again.

They'll push you just as far as you let them.
Good luck and remember, slow and steady wins this race.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Show up in uniform everyday whether you're scheduled to drive or not. Eventually you won't have to look for people who want the day off, they'll be on you like vultures.

How does this even work? When I was a TCD we had a seniority list of qualified drivers that had to be followed. If someone below me would have worked I would have grieved it and been paid.

JustAnotherSup

How does this even work? When I was a TCD we had a seniority list of qualified drivers that had to be followed. If someone below me would have worked I would have grieved it and been paid.

High seniority driver doesn't want to work that day. Young gun wants to work.

So we let the high seniority driver go home for the day. He wins, because he didn't want to work that day. We let the young gun work. He wins, too, because he gets to earn and gain experience. And the company wins as well, because it costs less in total payroll (usually) and we've grown the talent base of the younger driver.

The high seniority driver could certainly grieve, but nearly every driver (including stewards) are aware of what went down, and the high seniority driver also knows that grieving would end this opportunity for them in the future, since seniority gives you the right to work, not the right not to work.

If the high seniority driver wants to work, though, they get to work. That's how it works (pun intended) as per the contract.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
Our bottom list guys show up in the morning looking for work. Usually, not a problem to work but if there is a week or 2 without, they usually just inform center managers that they will be back in the PM to work unload shift. Better to get part of a day rather than nothing and helps to make your pension for the year.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I understand the concept but where I am it would never fly. My center knows who doesn't want to work and depending on the number of routes in that day they would call to cover their spots 60-90 minutes before start time if volume allowed them to do it.

No one ever just showed up and worked out of order in my center. It was by seniority list only.

Box Ox

Should i ask drivers in my particular group if they want off for the day or work local sort? What should a rookie do

Check out the routes on the ORION computer and see which loops cover which areas. Think about how many routes/coverage opportunities are in each loop and which one you'd prefer to gain some deep knowledge of first.

That'll typically label you as city "X" driver for a while and bid drivers/split route assignments will have you in mind for that specific area.

At my center you typically stick with the loop and adjacent loops that you originally qualified in until you branch out over time.

Faceplanted

The second this growth stops all of the cover guys will be back in the hub

Ups will not let them get enough reports to make More full time posistions if they don't want to.

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
Congrats on making it! I just finished day 9 and feel like pulling my hair out but I'll make it through. Lol

MrFeeder

Since you are now qualified trust me after dealing with management for some time you're going to want days off.

35years

Gravy route
High seniority driver doesn't want to work that day. Young gun wants to work.

So we let the high seniority driver go home for the day. He wins, because he didn't want to work that day. We let the young gun work. He wins, too, because he gets to earn and gain experience. And the company wins as well, because it costs less in total payroll (usually) and we've grown the talent base of the younger driver.

The high seniority driver could certainly grieve, but nearly every driver (including stewards) are aware of what went down, and the high seniority driver also knows that grieving would end this opportunity for them in the future, since seniority gives you the right to work, not the right not to work.

If the high seniority driver wants to work, though, they get to work. That's how it works (pun intended) as per the contract.

Except you conveniently forgot that the "young gun" has to be the one who has the most seniority of the extras available. And don't even try the "area knowledge" trumps seniority stuff.

And, as Jackburton pointed out, seniority DOES give you the right NOT to work in the Southern supplement.