Yeah, this is gonna fly!

"sorry to let you know, an OMS is a PT supervisor, and you can be terminated for failing to respect their authoritah, as long as the center manager agrees with their actions"

Keep telling yourself that.

DorkHead

I wonder what would happen if when asked to "recite" the DOK, you pull out the written "rules" and start reading the answers back to them?

If told "you are supposed to memorize these " can you argue that if UPS wants me to memorize these, then schedule the time for me to do so with pay?

Just a couple thoughts......

pretender

I suspect that the currrent DOK came from some from someone behind a desk, who was trying to justify his/her job. I remember when all we had to learn was All Good Kids Like Milk. If you could come up with another simple acronym for safe work methods, 3/4s of the DOK could be eliminated. If common sense was emphasized over memorization there would be a lot more thinking drivers as opposed to robots.

oldngray

nowhere special
I always wondered how much those people were paid to keep coming up with new acronyms. The 5 seeing habits were about all you needed to know for a very long time. I didn't see anyone working any safer because they could recite some new acronym coined by someone in an office somewhere. KISS principle anyone?

The sup that trained me for feeder, a former driver, told me to remember 3 things.

1) Don't kill yourself or anyone else.
2) Don't wreck the equipment.
3) Pull the right trailer.

Thats as complicated as it gets.

Memorizing and being quizzed on it tells them nothing as to your ability as a driver. If they want TRUE assessments of safety and skill they would pop quiz a driver on his annual ride along. " We're at this intersection. What do you do?" "When you turned that corner what did you see?" "Look ahead but tell me if there's a car behind us". Etc.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
"sorry to let you know, an OMS is a PT supervisor, and you can be terminated for failing to respect their authoritah, as long as the center manager agrees with their actions"

Keep telling yourself that.

don't have to like it, don't have to agree with it, i'm just telling you reality dude

1355726463249.jpg
1355726463249.jpg

don't have to like it, don't have to agree with it, i'm just telling you reality dude

View attachment 8454
My reality is that I answer to my assigned on road FT sup and to either the day or night on road mgr. All others including managers go through them to have me do something.

My reply to you would be professional but would be directing you to their attention before I'll jump to your "authoritah".

People, especially on your level, can and have lost their jobs for swimming outside their pond in respects to telling another groups people what to do.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I wonder what would happen if when asked to "recite" the DOK, you pull out the written "rules" and start reading the answers back to them? .

I used to do just that.

It used to be that the "testing" was done by members of the "safety committee" and they would pull you aside after the PCM and make you recite the DOK, the keys to lifting/lowering etc. etc. They would get pissed off big time when I pulled out the little laminated card and just started reading the stuff back to them verbatim. I had one guy actually order me to hand the card over so that I could be tested "properly". I took the opportunity to remind him (in a rather impolite way) that this wasnt junior high school, he wasnt still the Hall Monitor, and if he wanted to badly to be the boss man he should put his letter in for management instead of pretending to have some sort of authority as a "safety committee" member. He stomped away in a huff and has never spoken to me again, and since that time I havent been bothered about the DOK either.

oldngray

nowhere special
"People, especially on your level, can and have lost their jobs for swimming outside their pond in respects to telling another groups people what to do"

Too much swimming in their own gene pool?

"People, especially on your level, can and have lost their jobs for swimming outside their pond in respects to telling another groups people what to do"

Too much swimming in their own gene pool?

More like a toddler inflatable pool with a 50/50 pee/water mix.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Tears is like a lot of police officers I dislike.
They spent years as a dork being bullied and picked on only to find themselves in a position of authority, in his case perceived authority, and it becomes intoxicating.
The respect and adulation that eluded them for their entire life, finally is achieved with the acquisition of a badge or job title.
It's somewhat sad, but moreover pathetic to watch.
The reality, as I see it, is that no one has walked through the revolving door of OMS staff members at my building to go on to bigger and better things with the company.
It is pretty much a dead end job for house wives and going nowhere wannabees.
Enjoy our room with a view Tears.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
My reality is that I answer to my assigned on road FT sup and to either the day or night on road mgr. All others including managers go through them to have me do something.

My reply to you would be professional but would be directing you to their attention before I'll jump to your "authoritah".

People, especially on your level, can and have lost their jobs for swimming outside their pond in respects to telling another groups people what to do.

wat-dog.jpg

that's how a chain of command works; that has nothing to do with whether any of those people is a supervisor or not

i merely said your statement that 'an OMS is a not PT supervisor' is completely false, not that i was inherently in any chain of command

and the scope of a PT supes authority is pretty much whatever the center manager wants it to be; set in stone duties is an hourly thing
wat-dog.jpg

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Tears is like a lot of police officers I dislike.
They spent years as a dork being bullied and picked on only to find themselves in a position of authority, in his case perceived authority, and it becomes intoxicating.
The respect and adulation that eluded them for their entire life, finally is achieved with the acquisition of a badge or job title.
It's somewhat sad, but moreover pathetic to watch.
The reality, as I see it, is that no one has walked through the revolving door of OMS staff members at my building to go on to bigger and better things with the company.
It is pretty much a dead end job for house wives and going nowhere wannabees.
Enjoy our room with a view Tears.

lol shouldn't you be shuffling boxes right now or something?

View attachment 8456

that's how a chain of command works; that has nothing to do with whether any of those people is a supervisor or not

i merely said your statement that 'an OMS is a not PT supervisor' is completely false, not that i was inherently in any chain of command

and the scope of a PT supes authority is pretty much whatever the center manager wants it to be; set in stone duties is an hourly thing

With your level of comprehension no wonder that's the position you've been selected for and most likely never be in one to give me a directive.
I never said you weren't a sup. I said you weren't one that's "authoritah" would get me to tapdance. You would be like the little neighbor kid who runs up wearing his "Woody" outfit from Toy Story and tells me what a "big boy" he is. I'll be nice and pat you on the head and say Yes you are! And that is the level of our interaction.

You talk of the chain of command. For me you're not even a link.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
With your level of comprehension no wonder that's the position you've been selected for and most likely never be in one to give me a directive.
I never said you weren't a sup. I said you weren't one that's "authoritah" would get me to tapdance.

apparently you can't read. I never claimed I would be the one, but if you're a driver, and an OMS gives you an instruction, and your center manager gives his OMS wide discretion to do so, you can be disciplined for failing to follow his instructions

You would be like the little neighbor kid who runs up wearing his "Woody" outfit from Toy Story and tells me what a "big boy" he is. I'll be nice and pat you on the head and say Yes you are! And that is the level of our interaction.

You talk of the chain of command. For me you're not even a link.

you don't have to tap-dance, and you can pat my head, as long as you work as instructed

or else..

:wink2:

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
OMS is a clerk. A clerk is a non-management, non-union hourly.....

What part of the world are clerks PT sups? Now, there is a difference between having a PT sup DO an OMS's job, therefor calling that sup an OMS....and having a proper clerk in a clerk's position....

The last time I checked, there is no rock above my home....

"apparently you can't read. I never claimed I would be the one, but if you're a driver, and an OMS gives you an instruction, and your center manager gives his OMS wide discretion to do so, you can be disciplined for failing to follow his instructions"

So......there his directions not yours. So your basically a parrot that in turn will hide behind his skirt when a driver tells you to pound sand?

"you don't have to tap-dance, and you can pat my head, as long as you work as instructed

or else.."

"work as instructed" Something little tough guys like you learn the hard way is saying that to someone who really knows how to use those words against you. You'll let your ego get the best of you and you'll puff up your chest and make the mistake of "instructing" me in front of my coworkers or as I like to call them, witnesses. Then, even though I know every mistake you're making as you say it, I'll do what you say. To the letter. And when this shiz hits the fan and Division goes to the center manager wanting answers and he comes to me I'm going to shrug and point to you and say "worked as instructed. And under threat of disciplinary action too"

if you're really lucky you'll only get one of those ass chewings of myth that you and the other pt sups talk about at the bar when you say "did you hear about how he friend'd up..........."

If you're not so lucky the next time we bump into each other I'll be asking you if you have the "authoritah" to accept a coupon to supersize my kids happy meal.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
TIR, I have a hard enough time taking directions from a center manager or an oncar that never walked the walk, let alone a clerk that doesn't have a clue.

That said, we have four OMS clerks in our center. Two have been here longer than me, and the other two damn near as long. They ask me if I will do something, and if I am able to (or in a good enough mood), I will do it.

Of course, over the years, I've covered their butts enough times that the scales are leaning heavily in my favor.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
OMS is a clerk. A clerk is a non-management, non-union hourly.....

What part of the world are clerks PT sups? Now, there is a difference between having a PT sup DO an OMS's job, therefor calling that sup an OMS....and having a proper clerk in a clerk's position....

The last time I checked, there is no rock above my home....

OMS are managerial employees where I'm at.