Yelled At By a Sup for Doing What Another Sup Told Me To.

Soupy

Hey guys, this is my first time posting.
I've been loading trucks for just about a month now and have gotten pretty confident. Sorry for the long first post in advance.

Today I was tossing a bag of smalls on top of a wall that was behind the current wall I was building. My Sup was in the trailer with me, I was aware of he was there but was unaware that I was doing anything wrong. See only a couple of days prior I was in the exact same trailer in the exact same situation but a different supervisor was with me and he had literally instructed me to do that to maximize space used.

However this time I got the business. My supervisor yelled at me and told me if he ever saw me doing it again he would fire me on the spot. I apologized told him why I was doing it, but told him it was completely my bad and I understood that.

He then told me my other Sup was a dumb A** and that I was being disrespectful by throwing a bag.

This is now the third time I have been yelled at for doing something one Sup told me to do infront of another Sup. I know this is supposed to be a job for my union steward, but I'm not union yet and really don't know what to do.

I feel like I'm caught in a weird power struggle between these two sups and could really use some advice.
-Thanks in advance

GenericUsername

Go to the full time sup of your shift and ask them what they want exactly. This way when one of the sups under him/her tell you the wrong thing, you can tell them that you spoke with the FT sup and you're working as they've instructed you and to take matters up with them if something is wrong.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
I wouldnt worry about it. Conflicting directives are the cornerstone of ups policy. The 2 sups are just establishing a pecking order and you are caught in the middle. Have some fun with it and plot them against each other. Then sit back and enjoy the cat fight.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Good luck!

tenor.gif

MzTeaze

It might be something specific to your hub. The guys that could (in my hub) ALWAYS tossed those smalls bags. I am too short, so I always used a load stand.

I would ask if that's what he meant, was to use a load stand to place smalls bags at top of wall instead of tossing.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
your supervisor is a maroon

cube utilization trumps everything and frankly it protects the smalls to have them on top

they get heaved around all the time, it's not ideal but way better than being crushed because they weren't on top...

also incredibly unprofessional for him to disparage another supervisor in front of you

StoptheAct1212

1st off ive yelled at a handfull of Pt Sups for doing stupid stuff.. follow proper methods and thats the end of every discussion... you said you threw the bag... boom your wrong and i would of fired ua :censored2: too...

Never use the word Throw... you place the bag... end of story

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The methods are "hand to surface."

Back in the day, when management actually cared about service and damages, we would get a verbal, or even a warning letter, if caught throwing, or just even tossing, packages.

Today, I see sups flinging packages into trailers.

I would not toss the bags anymore. If you can't place them on the top of the wall even with a load stand, then leave the top area empty.

You can get a warning letter for throwing packages, but you cannot get a warning letter for refusing to throw packages.

If your other sup tells you to start throwing them again, tell him you were instructed by the other sup to work by the methods and not throw anything.

I would love to see the other sup try and write you up, or approach the center manager, or Hub manager, because you refused to throw bags.

Daf

I've been loading trucks for just about a month now and have gotten pretty confident. Sorry for the long first post in advance.

Today I was tossing a bag of smalls on top of a wall that was behind the current wall I was building. My Sup was in the trailer with me, I was aware of he was there but was unaware that I was doing anything wrong. See only a couple of days prior I was in the exact same trailer in the exact same situation but a different supervisor was with me and he had literally instructed me to do that to maximize space used.

However this time I got the business. My supervisor yelled at me and told me if he ever saw me doing it again he would fire me on the spot. I apologized told him why I was doing it, but told him it was completely my bad and I understood that.

He then told me my other Sup was a dumb A** and that I was being disrespectful by throwing a bag.

This is now the third time I have been yelled at for doing something one Sup told me to do infront of another Sup. I know this is supposed to be a job for my union steward, but I'm not union yet and really don't know what to do.

I feel like I'm caught in a weird power struggle between these two sups and could really use some advice.
-Thanks in advance
Welcome to ups. I have worked here for 21 years and still have supervisors tell me two opposite things. You eventually become desensitized to this. You will eventually stop listening to them altogether and just continue on with your day.

Lothar

-Thanks in advance
Welcome to ups. I have worked here for 21 years and still have supervisors tell me two opposite things. You eventually become desensitized to this. You will eventually stop listening to them altogether and just continue on with your day.
Be on time, slow way down, don't throw anything, put some ear buds in something tranquil , and try your dammest not to give a single friggen shizer about the circus of freaks that surround you.

Indecisi0n

The methods are "hand to surface."

Back in the day, when management actually cared about service and damages, we would get a verbal, or even a warning letter, if caught throwing, or just even tossing, packages.

Today, I see sups flinging packages into trailers.

I would not toss the bags anymore. If you can't place them on the top of the wall even with a load stand, then leave the top area empty.

You can get a warning letter for throwing packages, but you cannot get a warning letter for refusing to throw packages.

If your other sup tells you to start throwing them again, tell him you were instructed by the other sup to work by the methods and not throw anything.

I would love to see the other sup try and write you up, or approach the center manager, or Hub manager, because you refused to throw bags.
It was in his hand then on the surface, *shrug

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

-Thanks in advance

Just send White Fang and Black Tooth after them.

Problem solved.

hehe xd

some sups tell me to put leakers to the side, others remove it. at the end of the day, I do what I was trained to do. dont touch, leave area, notify supervisor. don't listen to anyone who makes custom rules, go by the books.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
some sups tell me to put leakers to the side, others remove it. at the end of the day, I do what I was trained to do. dont touch, leave area, notify supervisor. don't listen to anyone who makes custom rules, go by the books.
i hope you remove them, do what your told or @Future will bring fury down ùpon you

browntroll

this always happens in my hub. one time had small sort bag machine down so we had to break bags in unload
until manager saw and told us to send every bag to small sort. of course being UPS management doesnt communicate
with each other so small sort sup yells at us for sending bags but once we told him manager instructed us to do
it then he just shut up and went back to small sort.