The Driver

I drive.
Anyone else try to incorporate deep stretching or yoga in the mornings before work? The pathetic 45 seconds of "stretching" at PCM doesn't cut it at all. I'm in my early thirties and have only done this job for a few years but already feeling like it's a good idea to be a little proactive with my health. I try to work safe but I think working on flexibility helps tremendously. I especially work on my hamstrings, hips and lower back.

My favorite video so far:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Kudos to you for realizing that what you do or don't do now will have a huge impact down the road.

People see me and assume that because I am tall and skinny that I am in good shape but that is hardly the case.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had a local fitness instructor come in and give us an extended PCM about proper stretching. She just happens to also be a very attractive and in shape older woman and everyone paid attention during this PCM.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The pathetic 45 seconds of "stretching" at PCM doesn't cut it at all.

I'm surprised the company isn't more aware of the liability they

are incurring by having employees do this.

Unless the safety committee is comprised of "certified personal trainers"

and the employee signs a wavier releasing all claims....

It's a workers comp case, waiting to happen.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
People see me and assume that because I am tall and skinny that I am in good shape but that is hardly the case.
giphy (1).gif

Must resist temptation ,must resist temptation.

My center is 2 miles away. I can walk there in 15 minutes or drive in 8-10. Ever since I started, I walk back and forth. It's a great warm up for preload and a great cooldown. Proper stretching is a must. Not only does it help prevent injury, it helps with mobility and strength. I meditate in the evenings before bed and get a good stretch before I sleep, before I work, and after I work. As a person with multiple back issues, this keeps me working. Every little bit helps.

And it's possibly one of the worst things you can do for your back. Our local sort PCA is all about this stretch. I don't do it on purpose. I'd rather stretch my arms shoulders and neck than hurt my lower back. Once you're damaged there's no going back, unfortunately.

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
Stretching is obviously important but what's more important is you get your butt in the gym at least 3 days of the week keeping your joints tight and getting rid of muscle imbalances that cause unnecessary joint pain.

All muscles support your frame, but I would personally focus on squats and core exercises. Form is important and don't go heavy.