You have 7 days worth of food?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I stock up. I could live for about 3 months, maybe a little more, my goal is a year. Just because of reasons like sickness, injury, epic storms. Its a comfort thing, Knowing I could make it through an emergency. I coupon, therefore, I am a terrorist.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I just bought 15 boxes of Barilla elbow noodles on sale. Can't beat 50¢ a lb on Barilla.

You can juggle things around and never pay more than $.50 for a pound of pasta. It requires a store sale and coupons and no limits.
This is why I can never justify the Italian restaurants and their $30 for some kind of pasta dinner!!!! I like DeCecco too, but it's usually too high. My pantry is full of Barilla and next is Ronzoni.

menotyou

bella amicizia
You can juggle things around and never pay more than $.50 for a pound of pasta. It requires a store sale and coupons and no limits.
This is why I can never justify the Italian restaurants and their $30 for some kind of pasta dinner!!!! I like DeCecco too, but it's usually too high. My pantry is full of Barilla and next is Ronzoni.
I love DeCecco, but rarely get it for under a $1. I like the Cellentani cellentani-13306.jpg shape the best. Ronzoni is good, too. I buy that, if no others are on sale.
cellentani-13306.jpg

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We get some kind of fancy organic stuff that is hideously expensive. I am allowed no input into the decision making process.

menotyou

bella amicizia
We get some kind of fancy organic stuff that is hideously expensive. I am allowed no input into the decision making process.
Call me goofy, but I'm not that health conscious. I get the grass-fed beef with no hormones or steroids. I get cage free, vegetarian chicken eggs. Free range is good. But, pasta? :rofl:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I deliver to our local co-op store. They are advertising a turkey for $3.59/lb. No typo--I meant to say $3.59/lb.

I'm holding out for the Tofurkey..

And yes MRE's are/were nasty. I remember one time we were doing some joint training exercise with the Japanese and they had a little field store setup for their guys that sold alcohol. Of course none of us had money with us so we all started trading our MREs which we hated anyway, by the the time Bn HQ figured out what was going on and put a stop to it half the marines had traded away their week's supply of chow for sake and whiskey. Pretty funny.

over9five

Staff member

And yes MRE's are/were nasty. I remember one time we were doing some joint training exercise with the Japanese and they had a little field store setup for their guys that sold alcohol. Of course none of us had money with us so we all started trading our MREs which we hated anyway, by the the time Bn HQ figured out what was going on and put a stop to it half the marines had traded away their week's supply of chow for sake and whiskey. Pretty funny.
Did the Japs like the MRE's?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Did the Japs like the MRE's?

I doubt it, but what was kinda funny is that MRE's are all numbered, Meal #1 - pork patty, Meal #2 - ham and chicken loaf, etc and in Japanese culture "number 1" means good or the best and "number 10" means bad or worst. So the guys running the store were all looking at that and convinced the meal #1 was the best one and meal #10 was the worst and offering more or less in trade based on what number meal you had when in fact they are equally nasty. In fact I'm pretty sure that meal #1 was some particularly heinous concoction.

texan

See just when you think you know someone on the site.
A Marine. Bless you sir.

There is no US military fighting force like Marines.

The Army has Airborne and SF, and the Navy has Seals, the Air Force has SPs.

But each Marine is trained to fight first, then their job or Specialty.

I trained with and been around Marines during my 22 years in the US Army.

Knowing they were on my flank gave me peace. That sector was well covered in trying times.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
See just when you think you know someone on the site.
A Marine. Bless you sir.

There is no US military fighting force like Marines.

The Army has Airborne and SF, and the Navy has Seals, the Air Force has SPs.

But each Marine is trained to fight first, then their job or Specialty.

I trained with and been around Marines during my 22 years in the US Army.

Knowing they were on my flank gave me peace. That sector was well covered in trying times.
You're being too kind.
My older brother was SF btw, and my father was both. He joined the marines out of high school and then years later joined the Army reserve and went SF. Crazy old bastard...

Lue C Fur

Evil member
I'm not sure which were worse--the MRE's or the bag lunches from the in-flight kitchen.

Ha ha. I remember that they came in a box and we called them "box nasties" when they came from the flight kitchen. My son just finished Basic and has yet to experience MREs or box nasties...i wonder if they are better now. I hope not...he needs to enjoy them as much as we did. he he.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Yes, I have at least 7 days worth of food.

More important than food is water. I currently have 110 gallons of bottled water, plus the ability to collect and purify considerably more than that.

I also have 75 gallons of gasoline in 5 gallon cans, plus an additional 35 in the dual tanks of my truck, which I always keep full. I have installed a petcock in the fuel line which will allow me to drain the fuel out if I need it to feed either my generator or my Prius which gets 50 MPG. My wife also has a Prius, so in a pinch we could go at least 3 months without having to buy gas, or even more if we carpooled or rode bikes for local trips.

I also have about 8000 rounds of ammo for my .22's, which means I could keep us fed on squirrels, deer, birds or other critters if need be. The .22 is the best choice for survival hunting; cheap, quiet, accurate, perfect for small game and adequate for deer out to 100 yards or so. No serious prepper should be without one.