You retired from driving? What was your first vehicle you drove or owned?

Shiftless

We all started somewhere. Driven tons of stuff for years. We are old and have history!

A: What did you train on?

B: First vehicle you owned?

C: Coolest vehicle you have owned?

BigMoney

My first vehicle at UPS was a old P600 with wooden bulk head door and short shelves so buy the time you got to your first stop everything would be on the floor.My first car was a 1967 Mercury Cougar and my coolest car is a 2017 Shaker Scat Pak Challenger.

Shiftless

Got Trained in a 1964 Datsun Fair Lady
First car was a 1968 Chevelle 327 with 4 speed
Coolest back in the day for me? 69 Z/28 DZ 302

First UPS vehicle I drove on the street? I started driving in 1976

I think it was Ford based? In So Cal the called them Cabco's.
I think it was a 1961 or 62???
Had a huge shelf in front and over your head, helped you pre-stage the next few stop's!
Bulk head door was wood with an electric button that POPPED the door open!
Skinny little shelves like Big Money had above and YES everything fell on the floor.
Barn doors in the back with an electric pop open system too!
No fancy spring loaded rear bumper to cushion you rearward tap on the dock. YOU felt it thru the whole truck if you hit it even in the smallest of taps!
COOOOOLEST part??????? Was the Micro Brake! Set the switch to brake, tap the brake pedal and full lock in 2 to
3 seconds! You would already grab the pkg and be standing at the door to jump out!

First assigned Feeder tractor was a 1964 Peterbuilt 10 speed. Couldn't get out of its own way most days. BUT! It knew on its own how to get to and from the rail yards!

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
A: What did you train on? I was still a preloader. They needed utility drivers just before peak season. "You know how to drive a stick?"

"Sure!" I said. Didn't want to miss my shot. I had never driven a stick! They point me to a 26' rental, go deliver that bulk. Hand me the keys and a map, official UPS training back in the day. Grinding gears as I left, took the load around the block a few times as I taught myself to drive a stick on that beast. Ended up driving that thing daily for the rest of that peak season.

My first run in an actual UPS vehicle was in a p400. The ones with the pointy front end, the dashboard that could have 25 stops on it, and the bulkhead door with the perfect height if you are 5' tall! How many times I smashed my head on the top frame of that door.

B: First vehicle you owned? 1972 Pontiac Ventura II. It was Pontiac's version of the Nova. Beautiful orange flake color. 350ci. Actually bought it when I was 14, couldn't pass it up. Hard 2 years waiting to hit the road with it.

C: Coolest vehicle you have owned? My 1978 Vette. Silver Anniversary Edition.

Shiftless

MY BAD! You know you are getting old when you describe your first UPS tractor as a Peterbuilt and realize after you post it was an International/Corn Binder!

Indecisi0n

Most of the guy on these boards have been here so long that most of them started with these :

Nokota_Horses_cropped.jpg

old levi's

blank space
We all started somewhere. Driven tons of stuff for years. We are old and have history!

A: What did you train on?

B: First vehicle you owned?

C: Coolest vehicle you have owned?

1000, powerful steering, std. trans., seat post had 1 position only

49 Packard, straight 8

n/a

raceanoncr

1) First trained on.....some rickety old P600

2) First owned vehicle....1956 Chev, 2-dr, 265, 3-sp, radio delete, one sunvisor, no arm rests, no carpet....

3) Coolest vehicle.....The aforementioned '56, a '57, a couple '64s, '62 Corvette, ' 70 Monte Carlo, '55 Chev, my current '56 (avatar), my current '11 Camaro, my current '70 Vette....Whew, I think that's all, well throw in my two Harleys.

old levi's

blank space
1) First trained on.....some rickety old P600

2) First owned vehicle....1956 Chev, 2-dr, 265, 3-sp, radio delete, one sunvisor, no arm rests, no carpet....

3) Coolest vehicle.....The aforementioned '56, a '57, a couple '64s, '62 Corvette, ' 70 Monte Carlo, '55 Chev, my current '56 (avatar), my current '11 Camaro, my current '70 Vette....Whew, I think that's all, well throw in my two Harleys.

swell

Shiftless

Well, they asked....I told.

I would have thought more drivers would have posted up on this subject?

I usually every Friday do "HRF" (Hot Rod Friday aka lunch) with a bunch of guys when I am in town. Average
probably 12 to 15 cars minimum. We move the lunch around ALL of the eateries locally, they want us coming in, not only because the tab we pay is usually very large but they want our cars parked in front of their businesses! Some go as far as letting us tell them we are coming and the block spots and make dishes that we want to have that day.

Most cars are pretty much 60 years old Plus! Smallest HP motor probably 300HP most 400 to 500HP up to 1000HP street cars. Ages range from 35 to 84. Some are financially challenged and others well off but it doesn't mean thing to anyone! Run what you brung is what it is all about!

Today we are going to one of our buddies place for lunch. He restores million dollar cars in his 4000 sq foot hangar. Loaded with his period and custom hot rods with a storied career in the automotive industry!
Probably 25 plus guys talking shift, grilling food and good times!

Another one of the best thing about retirement! Burn Outs! Friends that share the passion! Fun Times!

Time to make the motor "THUMP"