Young Generation are Wimps and Global Warming

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I was sitting here reading a bunch of 407's posts and it occurred to me that kids these days are just wimps.
I remember when I was growing up and I never heard of a kid dying of heat in a car.
WTF ... maybe it's global warming!

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
They had cars when you were growing up? The kids could probably just manually roll down the window themselves back then.

Really though, for some reason the media loves these stories. They must sell well, I'm not sure why. There's like 50 million kids under the age of 12 in the US, and less than 50 die from heat from being left in cars.

The parents who freak out about this stuff are the real wimps, not the kids.

Nimnim

The Nim
I'd like to think I'm not that old at 30, but man when I was young my parents never trusted me to stay in the car. They wanted to know I wasn't going to cause problems, but if they did leave me in the car, and I'm in Florida so it does get damn hot, I could either manually open the door or roll down the window.

While I like to think kids these days are very stupid because of how idiot proof things are now, cars are a pain in the ass with how little you can do without putting the key in the ignition.

bbsam

Staff member
Eleven years ago, I had a problem. I had my infant son at a local park on an unusually warm spring day. I had to use the restroom so I carried him over with diaper bag bag over on shoulder and dragging the stroller behind me. Got to the restrooms and...locked. Thought about ducking behind a tree but being rather crowded ( I could just imagine the local headlines) decided to make a dash for home (twelve miles away mind you!). Packed the boy and the gear in the car and hit the road. Two blocks in I realized my bladder wasn't going to make it. I wanted to stop at a McDonalds or something but didn't think I could get my son out of the car fast enough. Hit the highway and squirmed and winced and contorted in every way possible trying to gain bladder control. I was losing. Fifteen excruciating minutes later I pulled into my driveway, opened the garage door, took two step into the garage and lost it. It's a liberating feeling to finally surrender. A warm (if rather wet) self amusing situation. I'll tell you what, though. Not once did it seem even remotely ok to leave that child in the car for even a few minutes. I really don't understand that thinking.

rod

Retired 22 years
There was a time when my brothers and I were little that my Mom would drop us off at my Dads work where we were suppose to wait 2 hours in his car for him to get off. She would give us each a dime and we were allowed to walk 2 blocks to the Woolworths store and buy comics to read in the car while waiting for my Dad. My Mother was a telephone operator and sometimes she would get stuck working the 3 to 11 shift.

1. We didn't die
2. We weren't kidnapped
3. I wish I had saved all those old comics.

moreluck

golden ticket member
There was a time when my brothers and I were little that my Mom would drop us off at my Dads work where we were suppose to wait 2 hours in his car for him to get off. She would give us each a dime and we were allowed to walk 2 blocks to the Woolworths store and buy comics to read in the car while waiting for my Dad. My Mother was a telephone operator and sometimes she would get stuck working the 3 to 11 shift.

1. We didn't die
2. We weren't kidnapped
3. I wish I had saved all those old comics.

Been nice if you had saved those Mercury dimes too.

Returntosender

If they have money they can get away with murder. http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/sentence-in-texas-teens-fatal-dwi-wreck-stirs-ire

FORT WORTH, Texas — "Affluenza," the affliction cited by a psychologist to argue that a North Texas teenager from a wealthy family should not be sent to prison for killing four pedestrians while driving drunk, is not a recognized diagnosis and should not be used to justify bad behavior, psychologists said Thursday.

A judge's decision to give 16-year-old Ethan Couch 10 years of probation for the fatal accident sparked outrage from relatives of those killed and has led to questions about the defense strategy. A psychologist testified in Couch's trial in a Fort Worth juvenile court that as a result of "affluenza," the boy should not receive the maximum 20-year prison sentence prosecutors were seeking.

The term "affluenza" was popularized in the late 1990s by Jessie O'Neill, the granddaughter of a past president of General Motors, when she wrote the book "The Golden Ghetto: The Psychology of Affluence." It has since been used to describe a condition in which children — generally from richer families — have a sense of entitlement, are irresponsible, make excuses for poor behavior, and sometimes dabble in drugs and alcohol, explained Dr. Gary Buffone, a Jacksonville, Fla., psychologist who does family wealth advising.

But Buffone said in a telephone interview Thursday that the term wasn't meant to be used as a defense in a criminal trial or to justify such behavior.

"The simple term would be spoiled brat," he said.

"Essentially what he (the judge) has done is slapped this child on the wrist for what is obviously a very serious offense which he would be responsible for in any other situation," Buffone said. "The defense is laughable, the disposition is horrifying ... not only haven't the parents set any consequences, but it's being reinforced by the judge's actions."

Marne Vet

You can still hunt for those silver dimes with a metal detector. I found 103 silver dimes in 2012 with my CTX 3030, and 89 so far this year. Some worth a LOT of money. Barbers, Mercs, a few Drapped Busts and a Walker. Oh, and two gold rings, 4 silver ones, and a partridge in a pear tree! haha

Best weekend hobby ever for an older guy like me. Peace and quiet hunting for history.

rod

Retired 22 years
Actually I still have my Mercury dime collection (its almost a complete one). Dad got me into coin collecting back when I was in 4th grade. The retail store he worked at gave him permission to go through all their change every night and buy any coins he wanted for face value. I did spend my 100% complete collection of Roosevelt dimes (1946-1960 at that time) one year at the County fair on the crank up cranes because I figured they would never be worth much. I wasn't too far wrong on that call but I still regret spending them. Dad wasn't a happy camper when he found out about it.