Your on car and delivery routine

With EDD, the only reason to pre-record would be a bulk stop, just to cut down on the amount of time spent at the dock. It really doesn't save you any time otherwise.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Had an old timer in our building come in one morning to find the Ketterer team there for an audit. One of these auditors pulled him aside and quizzed him. He repeatedly answered that he didn't know the answer. His center manager, within ear shot, angrily called him out claiming he was sand bagging. The old timer looked him right in the eye and told him, I don't know anything until my start time which isn't for 10 more minutes.

buttere

As far as my on car routine goes, I won't give away all my secrets.. .but in general just having the ability to plan ahead makes the biggest difference. Being flexible in your route to adjust for unusually large stops or traffic etc. Deliver ground with air if possible including the nearby area. Try to never back track for any reason. Hide the package on the porch before you ring the doorbell to avoid customer contact. Don't waste alot of time looking for hidden packages if you will be in that area again later during p/u's. EDD is great, but never perfect..surely there's a few shortcuts for each route. In our area entire areas are traced poorly. Break EDD wherever you can save time unless it will be a problem with where the packages are loaded in your truck. When you have to take more than a step or two in your truck to grap the next package, slide a group of packages towards the front of the shelf. Never waste time using the diad if you'll get a chance to do it while walking back the the truck etc. When riding elevators I scan the packages I'm about to deliver. I find the COD's first when I'm at a bulk stop, so they can get the money while I unload all their stuff. Use the bathroom at places you're delivering to. Multi-tasking can save alot of time. Before driving to a stop that is out in the boonies, I find the package before going there, so I know it's not a wasted trip. Be nice to everyone at business even if you don't like them. Having your customers on your side can save you lots of time. Maybe last but not least, set goals for yourself. I always try to have certain areas done by a certain time, if I don't pace myself that way, I just get lazy. I would say I'm the fastest driver in our center, and I use all of the methods almost all the time, I work safe. I get EDD before start time, but I don't arrive at work until 5 minutes before start time.

Cementups

Box Monkey
As far as my on car routine goes, I won't give away all my secrets.. .but in general just having the ability to plan ahead makes the biggest difference. Being flexible in your route to adjust for unusually large stops or traffic etc. Deliver ground with air if possible including the nearby area. Try to never back track for any reason. Hide the package on the porch before you ring the doorbell to avoid customer contact. Don't waste alot of time looking for hidden packages if you will be in that area again later during p/u's. EDD is great, but never perfect..surely there's a few shortcuts for each route. In our area entire areas are traced poorly. Break EDD wherever you can save time unless it will be a problem with where the packages are loaded in your truck. When you have to take more than a step or two in your truck to grap the next package, slide a group of packages towards the front of the shelf. Never waste time using the diad if you'll get a chance to do it while walking back the the truck etc. When riding elevators I scan the packages I'm about to deliver. I find the COD's first when I'm at a bulk stop, so they can get the money while I unload all their stuff. Use the bathroom at places you're delivering to. Multi-tasking can save alot of time. Before driving to a stop that is out in the boonies, I find the package before going there, so I know it's not a wasted trip. Be nice to everyone at business even if you don't like them. Having your customers on your side can save you lots of time. Maybe last but not least, set goals for yourself. I always try to have certain areas done by a certain time, if I don't pace myself that way, I just get lazy. I would say I'm the fastest driver in our center, and I use all of the methods almost all the time, I work safe. I get EDD before start time, but I don't arrive at work until 5 minutes before start time.

since I'm sure you pat yourself on the back enough and your co workers probably praise your every movement.......:rolleyes:......

mnnice

So everytime you do something during the day that does not directly involve your job do you punch out? Ask a travel agent a question about a destination, punch out. Buy a soda in a machine, punch out. Grab a candy bar at the mini-mart, punch out. Talk a minute about the ball game, punch out.
In one breath some of you say that if a supervisor asks you a question before start time you don't answer it because you're on the clock, but it is OK to ask a travel agent a question when your on the clock about a destination. Boy, does that make sense!!!! Why is it always OK when it is on your term.

UPSNewbie

In one breath some of you say that if a supervisor asks you a question before start time you don't answer it because you're on the clock, but it is OK to ask a travel agent a question when your on the clock about a destination. Boy, does that make sense!!!! Why is it always OK when it is on your term.

In case you haven't read what all has been going on, Steve isn't on the clock. :wink2:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

Okay okay, I give, no more small talk with the customers while I'm working.:dissapointed:

buttere

Thank you. Thank you. This guy doesn't want tips from slow drivers does he?? I was out til after dark tonight though, so what do I know!

backinbrown

respect my authority

Look when i said don't answer supervisor before being clocked i didn't mean yea it was a cold day yesterday. or thanks for asking i do feel better today.

but if you want to come to me at 8:30 and quiz me as to why i was paid over yesterday then yes i want to be on the clock why wouldnt i want to be, it is work related therefore i should be paid.

why is it ok when it is on my terms? because not very often is anything i do at my brown employeer on my own terms. "dont dare say UPS for fear of bieng stugged"

Bottom line if you want to talk to me about my job Talk to me after PCM i will gladly pull out my notes from previous day and talk to you. I mean you no disrespect mr supervisor but i am on my time, not yours.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Now THAT would make a great avatar!

Heck yeah!

Look when i said don't answer supervisor before being clocked i didn't mean yea it was a cold day yesterday. or thanks for asking i do feel better today.

but if you want to come to me at 8:30 and quiz me as to why i was paid over yesterday then yes i want to be on the clock why wouldnt i want to be, it is work related therefore i should be paid.

why is it ok when it is on my terms? because not very often is anything i do at my brown employeer on my own terms. "dont dare say UPS for fear of bieng stugged"

Bottom line if you want to talk to me about my job Talk to me after PCM i will gladly pull out my notes from previous day and talk to you. I mean you no disrespect mr supervisor but i am on my time, not yours.

Here, here, very well said. You even created a catch phrase, STUGGED!!!