You've Got To Be friend@$!!&? Kidding Me

rocket man

Pretty soon you'll need to wear a cam around your belt or neck , like our police officers are getting.
It will make sure you treat customers with respect at all times, but also don't go into long chats with them either.
Also that all DR'S are done correctly and safe.
And much more :)
kline why should you care ? what is it you do?

rocket man

we must be perfect all the time while they screw everything up ! Next to come will be a cell phone jammer to stop us from using cell phones .
id vote for that they would now day,s be freaked out if they had to communicate only by diad , id love it .

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????
That little pin hole ios not a camera. It is an light sensor that is suppose to dim and brighten the screen automatically. I took apart a failed unit to see what it was

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????
What everyone is forgetting is per the current contract technologies can not be used for discipline purposes, BUT tampering with company equipment is a fireable offence. Just leave the stuff alone and quit worrying about it.

The pinhole is a sensor for a remote control. We were given the instruction manual and the monitors that they have bought are used in rv's or motor homes. The monitors in these things are very high up so a remote is needed.

I don't know. I read someone like rocket man's sentiments towards the company and while I agree to a small point, something else has to be asked. Why do so many of you think there is a conspiracy to fire you unless you're perfect? If this was true or even close to the truth, there would be zero hourlies left. I've seen UPS harass underachievers AS A GENERAL RULE. I think some of you were, are and will be poor or sub-par workers who show up but play the system. There is no way all of you are even close to being above average at your jobs. The percentages do not work out. It is like everyone saying they are 6 foot 4 with a giant pecker. So many of the people I work with are schmucks.. that means a good portion of you need to be as well. Some outliers here and there and all thick-skinned to survive here long term, obviously.

In this conspiracy theory do they fire all of you for not being perfect and actively look to do so at every moment? I agree it is in the mans best interest to keep people at a lower rate by thinning out the heard but to me the big paid workers who are GOOD are respected and a valued commodity because so many of you are schmucks and or/disgruntled underachievers (maybe rightfully so)!

There will always be people in high positions who are compensating for other weaknesses they have developed in life. I just don't believe every manager in your hub is the devil.

Standard practice is not to harass or fire a slacker. Practice is to get rid of one of "the boys" and the rest will pick up the pace for a while because after all if they get rid of one of their "boys" even if it's only temporary what will they do to one of the slackers. They have done this and production has been documented to increase for a period. That is the true goal.

What everyone is forgetting is per the current contract technologies can not be used for discipline purposes, BUT tampering with company equipment is a fireable offense. Just leave the stuff alone and quit worrying about it.

You're 100% correct on the tampering. But as far as the "contract" language they won't fire you for what they see on camera. They'll fire you when you try and lie about it.

Indecisi0n

It is true as the new trucks in the lower part of the monitor does have a blacked out window where there is suppose to be a camera behind. It looks the same type of glass/protection that an IR remote has on the end of it. You can see the camera just the cover. It's ashame because when i get an on call pick i write them on a info notice and guess where my new favorite place is to put that reminder.

johnoutdoors

I have one of the new monitors in my truck. I've had it covered with electrical tape since I started wondering what it was. It has not had any impact on the brightness of the monitor nor has the tape been removed. So either its not a camera (I hadn't thought of the IR remote sensor) or its not hooked up yet. If they ever take the tape off, I'll let you know.

over9five

Staff member
Easy enough to test. Wait till its a little dark, then shine your flashlight onto it. If the display changes, you'll know.

brownelf

We had concerns on those new back-up monitors being cameras also, but there is no day/nite button on them so I'm inclined to believe our mechanic friend on this one. Not saying they couldn't put them in in the future though.

tbrook387

i like the old box monitors. you can adjust them to were its just black, and then i can actually see the road in front of me at night. cant seem to find an adjustment for that with the lcd ones they are putting in now once the old ones break.

RedThunder

I don't know. I read someone like rocket man's sentiments towards the company and while I agree to a small point, something else has to be asked. Why do so many of you think there is a conspiracy to fire you unless you're perfect? If this was true or even close to the truth, there would be zero hourlies left. I've seen UPS harass underachievers AS A GENERAL RULE. I think some of you were, are and will be poor or sub-par workers who show up but play the system. There is no way all of you are even close to being above average at your jobs. The percentages do not work out. It is like everyone saying they are 6 foot 4 with a giant pecker. So many of the people I work with are schmucks.. that means a good portion of you need to be as well. Some outliers here and there and all thick-skinned to survive here long term, obviously.

In this conspiracy theory do they fire all of you for not being perfect and actively look to do so at every moment? I agree it is in the mans best interest to keep people at a lower rate by thinning out the heard but to me the big paid workers who are GOOD are respected and a valued commodity because so many of you are schmucks and or/disgruntled underachievers (maybe rightfully so)!

There will always be people in high positions who are compensating for other weaknesses they have developed in life. I just don't believe every manager in your hub is the devil.

But it's not a conspiracy. It's UPS policy and it is not just for underachievers. It's for the least-best employee and it doesn't matter if that least-best employee is meeting the standard or not. If he is least-best he needs to improve or be disciplined. Keeps the other guys in line.

iruhnman630

While I do believe we will one day soon have our every move on video, I'm inclined to believe the light-sensor explanation, especially since Ive seen it in action on some of the new monitors.

There isn't enough manhours available in management to review all that recorded video to seek out violations. But I could see that video being used in incident investigations.

j4ck4zz

it's no camera, a camera has to be pointed at something to see it... what would it see if it were a camera, your bulkhead door?