“A fair day’s work for a fair day’s pay"

tourists24

Young man, you can actually terminate someone for not working. I have successfully terminated two employees for violating a "fair days work for a fair days pay." It's extremely difficult, and you need a ton of paperwork. However the last time I completed a mission almost unheard of as this one, I had the Labor manager, the union steward, and an extra witness sit in a remote location and observe from afar the guy in question working. This was after repeated attempts to reach out to this employee. He was warned, written, and suspended. When my spy unit observed him, he walked around talked to everyone, back and forth to the restroom, even left his work area at times to show other employees something that was on his phone. They observed this individual for one hour and determined in an hours time he performed about ten minutes worth of work. It was supposed to be a full shift observation but the Labor manager had saw enough. The union steward even told the guy that they would grieve it but it would be tough to fight. I saw the guy working at Jacksons Food Store the other day.... I winked at him....
sad thing is,,, unless he has been a part timer for many years he is probably making about as much as he was at UPS

JonFrum

and if no other workers are available then what?
Re-read the Contract Language I quoted in post #13.

It would be next to impossible for there to be a situation where there were no other workers available.

Workers on an earlier shift could be held over.

Scheduled workers could start early or be called in even earlier.

Existing workers could be kept late.

Off-duty workers on the sign-up sheet could be called in.

Package car drivers, and even feeder drivers, could be asked to lend a hand.

Exactly how short handed are you????? Maybe it's time to fix the real problem by fireing the Management guy responsible for this inadequate manning debacle.

over9five

Staff member
Exactly how short handed are you????? Maybe it's time to fix the real problem by fireing the Management guy responsible for this inadequate manning debacle.

Good point, but I will add that maybe it's time to start firing hourly people who are abusing their sick time. I hate seeing the same people bang in again and again and not be held accountable.

JonFrum

Good point, but I will add that maybe it's time to start firing hourly people who are abusing their sick time. I hate seeing the same people bang in again and again and not be held accountable.

Didn't UPS bring the part-time absentee problem on itself by:

Drastically cutting wages to the point that New Hires make less than the minimum wage (after dues and initiation fees are taken out.)

Cutting hours to the point where most part-timers get about 17.5 hours for a five day week. A driver gets more hours than that in only two days.

Abusing the workers that do show up.

And by inserting this gem in the Contract . . .

Article 22 --- Part-Time Employees
Section 7 – Benefit Entitlements
Part-time employees hired after August 1, 2008 will receive holidays, personal days [meaning sick days?] and option days provided by any applicable Supplement, Rider, or Addendum no earlier than after one (1) year of active employment. This provision supersedes any provision on the same subject in any Supplement, Rider, or Addendum to the extent the provision makes holidays, personal days or option days available earlier than after one (1) year of service.

hypocrisy

Banned
Re-read the Contract Language I quoted in post #13.

It would be next to impossible for there to be a situation where there were no other workers available.

Workers on an earlier shift could be held over.

Scheduled workers could start early or be called in even earlier.

Existing workers could be kept late.

Off-duty workers on the sign-up sheet could be called in.

Package car drivers, and even feeder drivers, could be asked to lend a hand.

Excellent list.
I always make note of how many PT'ers I see leaving the sort as I walk in and confront my favorite PT sup for working, again.
Only time I don't make money on supervisors working grievances is when I've run out of forms and have to get by the hall again to pick up another box.

Best question to ask a supervisor working: "well, who did you ask? Show me."

I'd love to present the to the stockholders how much money we really spend labor costs: costs for supervisors to do the work we supposedly pay pt'ers to do and what they actually end up paying me on top of that.

JonFrum

Management will "promote" (if that's the right word) an hourly and make him a part-time Supervisor. But they won't hire and train anyone to take his place, so this all but guarantees that the shift will be one man short. Naturally, the Supervisor claims he has to work to fill in for the absent worker. But who's fault is that?

Or Management will have advance notice that various workers will be absent due to Optional Holidays, Vacation, Breavement Leave, FMLA Leave, Disability, Workers Comp, Jury Duty, etc. These are planned, authorized absences. Yet Management will not make adequate advanced provisions to cover the absent workers, so Supervisors claim an unexpected manning crisis has arisen and they simply must fill in for the "no-shows."

And then there's this Contract gem that discourages part-timers in the areas covered by the Company H&W Plan . . .

Article 34 --- Health & Welfare and Pension
Section 2—Part-Time Medical Coverage
(b) Notwithstanding Section 1(d) above or any contrary provision in any Supplement, Rider, or Addendum, (i) individual health coverage will be made available to part-time employees hired after August 1, 2008 after twelve (12) months of active employment and (ii) spousal or dependant coverage will be made available to these part-time employees eighteen (18) months after their initial date of employment.

iowa boy

Management will "promote" (if that's the right word) an hourly and make him a part-time Supervisor. But they won't hire and train anyone to take his place, so this all but guarantees that the shift will be one man short. Naturally, the Supervisor claims he has to work to fill in for the absent worker. But who's fault is that?

Or Management will have advance notice that various workers will be absent due to Optional Holidays, Vacation, Breavement Leave, FMLA Leave, Disability, Workers Comp, Jury Duty, etc. These are planned, authorized absences. Yet Management will not make adequate advanced provisions to cover the absent workers, so Supervisors claim an unexpected manning crisis has arisen and they simply must fill in for the "no-shows."

I'm sorry for chiming in here, but I have seen both instances quoted above more times than I can count, and yet the supervisors try and claim that these are 'acts of God' that give them the right to work. All I do is laugh at them. Then, of course, the timer starts.

22.34life

Young man, you can actually terminate someone for not working. I have successfully terminated two employees for violating a "fair days work for a fair days pay." It's extremely difficult, and you need a ton of paperwork. However the last time I completed a mission almost unheard of as this one, I had the Labor manager, the union steward, and an extra witness sit in a remote location and observe from afar the guy in question working. This was after repeated attempts to reach out to this employee. He was warned, written, and suspended. When my spy unit observed him, he walked around talked to everyone, back and forth to the restroom, even left his work area at times to show other employees something that was on his phone. They observed this individual for one hour and determined in an hours time he performed about ten minutes worth of work. It was supposed to be a full shift observation but the Labor manager had saw enough. The union steward even told the guy that they would grieve it but it would be tough to fight. I saw the guy working at Jacksons Food Store the other day.... I winked at him....
anybody who would only work 10 or 15 minutes out of a hour needs to be fired and good ridance.what you are posting is a rare and obvious event,what the op is talking about to me is a little more nitpicking.he lists getting water as personal time ,get real.look i work from the time i clock in till the time i clock out,now today i might have used the restroom 3 or 4 times maybe i stoped a few times and talked briefly with someone.does that mean i did not give a fair days work.

jace1319

Yea it very much is ... I have asked everyone even employees about this situation and according to them its the only building that things arent that smooth. Now here's the catch.. That 1 employee in particular has alot of influence throughout the building and management including.. How can you explain that i documented conversations and discipline in that employees record and all of a sudden its all gone.. Spotless record.. Not just that but it seems like This employee has the bldg manager and the DM holding this employees back. Man if only you guys could see the abuse this employee gives. You start at 6:00 but you actually start doing work at 7:00 then you leave at 9:40. But yet gets paid 4hrs and 5 mins. not to mention taking their break and multiple conversations inbetween the hours. Not just that but when you walk off the job You dont notify anyone about where your going its like your v.i.p. and it seems like no one can do anything about it. Here's what 1 manager told me. " Hey i understand your situation, but its just alot of politics" .... i couldnt believe that.. i dont want to sound like im nagging or complaining but come one? ***** i wish i had a job like that where i cant get discipline and walk out my job whenever i feel like it. Smh.. any opinionS?

UPSSOCKS

anybody who would only work 10 or 15 minutes out of a hour needs to be fired and good ridance.what you are posting is a rare and obvious event,what the op is talking about to me is a little more nitpicking.he lists getting water as personal time ,get real.look i work from the time i clock in till the time i clock out,now today i might have used the restroom 3 or 4 times maybe i stoped a few times and talked briefly with someone.does that mean i did not give a fair days work.

It depends.. Stopping to talk is stealing time in my book, unless you make up for the time wasted. I had a driver once that talked way too much. He would talk to everyone but he was always the last one out and the first one in, with that being said he got the pass to do whatever he wanted too.

22.34life

It depends.. Stopping to talk is stealing time in my book, unless you make up for the time wasted. I had a driver once that talked way too much. He would talk to everyone but he was always the last one out and the first one in, with that being said he got the pass to do whatever he wanted too.
now your talking like you have some sense.i might talk to people but i always work and talk and i get more done talking than most people would if they didnt say a word all day.

22.34life

Yea it very much is ... I have asked everyone even employees about this situation and according to them its the only building that things arent that smooth. Now here's the catch.. That 1 employee in particular has alot of influence throughout the building and management including.. How can you explain that i documented conversations and discipline in that employees record and all of a sudden its all gone.. Spotless record.. Not just that but it seems like This employee has the bldg manager and the DM holding this employees back. Man if only you guys could see the abuse this employee gives. You start at 6:00 but you actually start doing work at 7:00 then you leave at 9:40. But yet gets paid 4hrs and 5 mins. not to mention taking their break and multiple conversations inbetween the hours. Not just that but when you walk off the job You dont notify anyone about where your going its like your v.i.p. and it seems like no one can do anything about it. Here's what 1 manager told me. " Hey i understand your situation, but its just alot of politics" .... i couldnt believe that.. i dont want to sound like im nagging or complaining but come one? ***** i wish i had a job like that where i cant get discipline and walk out my job whenever i feel like it. Smh.. any opinionS?
now your getting a good dose of ups reality.now if i were a real jerk i would tell you to go over his head to the div.manager or district manager but i wont do that to you because you would just get another dose of ups reality,only it would be very bad for you.like i said on another post,do your job but dont try to change the world.

hypocrisy

Banned

Every building I have worked(4) in has one employee or two like that one. They either have something on upper management or they are 'servicing' their upper management internal customer (this could be m/friend, friend/m, friend/friend, m/m ).

Get used to it, get better dirt, or start putting out. Welcome to management: UPS style. Guess they left that part out of your edition of the Policy book.

JonFrum

Jace1319 wants everyone to give "a fair day's work for a fair day's pay."

All righty then . . .

Drivers currently make about $30 an hour. Once all workers made Driver's Pay, or something close to it.

Full-time Air Drivers and (some) Inside Article 22.3 workers had their wages cut from Driver's Pay down to about $24 an hour. They Start at about $14.50 an hour.

Part-time Air Drivers had their wages cut from Driver's Pay down to about $22 per hour. They Start at about $12.50 an hour.

Part-timers had their wages cut from (near) Driver's Pay down to a Starting Wage of $8.50. They slowly climb up the ladder thereafter.

Everyone, if you're not a Driver at Top Rate, slow the heck down!!! Work at your contractually agreed upon payrate. If you get paid at one third the Driver's Rate, work at one third the Driver's Rate. UPS and the Teamsters worked very hard negotiating these huge cuts. Both sides agreed to them and have kept these concessions in place Contract after Contract. It's what they both want. Determine your current pay rate and work at that pace. It's what Jace1319 wants too. "A fair day's work for a fair day's pay."

Well, I'm glad we've had this little talk.