1 long question

K.Pop

Furthermore, with the delivery thing, don't think that getting pt delivery jobs with other companies will make you a better UPSer; UPS has its own methods, own styles, and they'll train you to do the job right. Doing a delivery job on the side may be good way to determine if it's a good line of work for you, but again, it won't mean crap at UPS, now that you're inside.

Yea, I just want to get a fill of what its like in the delivery field. I understand that UPS will be like apples and oranges to other companies methods. It's the people skill's and "whats it like" I want to gain and know.

Another question...Is it possible to relocate to another local area HUB(IE: from "Dallas" hub to "DFW Airport" HUB) without loosing senority?

SmithBarney

Working for other companies in the same industry as UPS is close to a conflict of interest...
Be very careful about working for another delivery company during the day. Talk to your HR rep and ask them if it's ok for you to work for another delivery company. AND BE SURE YOU GET NAMES of the people you talk to.

Furthermore, with the delivery thing, don't think that getting pt delivery jobs with other companies will make you a better UPSer; UPS has its own methods, own styles, and they'll train you to do the job right. Doing a delivery job on the side may be good way to determine if it's a good line of work for you, but again, it won't mean crap at UPS, now that you're inside.

Well personally its not a conflict of interest if your huckin boxes.
I doubt your daily work could affect one or the other company.
Now if your driving for both, then you have both DOT and company issues.
Not to mention its none of their business.(unless you could adversely affect one or the other companies) ie if you were a manager, or sales person...

BTW best practices(fedex express) and methods(UPS) are very much alike.
There are a few things different, but nothing earth shattering.
Both train using the smith system for driving(5 seeing habits)
Hardest one for me to get used to is not entering information while walking(fedex frowns on that...) oh yeah and driving with the driver side
door open is not allowed at Express.

Thats all for now...
get a part time job doing whatever you want...

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Is it possible to work part time at UPS and FedEx? Say one in the AM and the other in the PM? I know with some retail jobs I have had they don't allow you to work for a competitor, something about conflict of interest. I am not personaly thinking about doing this, just a thought I had.

Possible? Yes. Encouraged? NO! I met a guy at UPS the other day that just started a new full-time job with a freight company in Denver. He was offered the job and accepted it. He informed UPS and was told it could be a conflict of interest. He put his notice on the table. UPS backed down in an almighty hurry.

Working for other companies in the same industry as UPS is close to a conflict of interest. I signed something saying that I would report any possible conflicts of interest to HR, and I'm pretty sure you did, too.

As noted above, I've heard of these problems. When I was in retail, an employee quit after management decided a job at Wal-Mart was a conflict of interest. She was a supervisor or manager there, I think. They didn't like that!

And kinda off the wall question that may be more pertinent to a Labor Discussion: are there rules enforced by the Teamsters as far as working another job while employed at UPS? I'm not concerned about it myself. I'm just curious. I'm working a non-union, non-UPS competitor job this summer and curiousity got the better of me. I can't imagine UPS having a problem with it as long as I report for my shifts clean, sober and ready to work. -Rocky

HazMatMan

Is it possible to work part time at UPS and FedEx? Say one in the AM and the other in the PM? I know with some retail jobs I have had they don't allow you to work for a competitor, something about conflict of interest. I am not personaly thinking about doing this, just a thought I had.

I think you can work for both. I remember seeing a guy in my building (part timer) with another delivery company's shirt,(can't remember which one though) Conflict of interest?? It's not like you are an international spy and you are selling UPS secrets to Fedex and selling Fedex secrets to UPS. I don't think UPS should have a right to tell an hourly where he/she can work or not work. It may be different for management.

hoser

Industrial Slob
Well personally its not a conflict of interest if your huckin boxes.
I doubt your daily work could affect one or the other company.
Now if your driving for both, then you have both DOT and company issues.
Not to mention its none of their business.(unless you could adversely affect one or the other companies) ie if you were a manager, or sales person...

BTW best practices(fedex express) and methods(UPS) are very much alike.
There are a few things different, but nothing earth shattering.
Both train using the smith system for driving(5 seeing habits)
Hardest one for me to get used to is not entering information while walking(fedex frowns on that...) oh yeah and driving with the driver side
door open is not allowed at Express.
Oh CBP... how I miss you. It taught me the seatbelt-clip-while-turning-the-ignition-key thing. the best thing about CBP was that you didn't have to memorize stupid concepts and repeat them.

and yes, walking while powerpadding is lethal. i faceplanted while doing the walk-and-type on a resi. kinda missed that curb. the hot chick on the porch liked that a lot.

working for two transport companies is definitely a possible conflict of interest, and you, as the employee want to avoid any possible conflict of interest. Let me just make up one possible CoI: you work for billy bob's inner-city courier service. You deliver envelopes between legal firms. Sometimes these legal firms need to overnight stuff, and they just give it to billy bob, and he slaps on a UPS label and overnights it to wherever it has to go (a very common practice with inner-city courier companies). let's say you work the hub at night and you handle that envelope. that's a possible conflict of interest. and a conflict of interest is only a conflict of interest if one party makes it that way, and they easily can. billy bob wants UPS handling that, not his own courier wearing the billybob delivery service t-shirt under the ups brown shirt. if billybob finds out, he won't care, but does it still make it a possible conflict of interest? yes.

now let's say while working the hub, you see a manifest from a 5-ton that shows how much each company paid to move their boxes (i was exposed to this information a few times). you then go into working for billybob's distribution service, where they do distros through all firms. you think billybob would like to see that manifest? :wink:

of course, i'm not saying this is going to happen, but UPS and billy bob have a right to know about this. Corporate sabotage is on the rise, and in this day an age, it's even easier to do.

again, you work for UPS, i say this sort of thing should be cleared by HR. that's my opinion into it. and if it's not a conflict of interest, UPS won't care.

Yea, I just want to get a fill of what its like in the delivery field. I understand that UPS will be like apples and oranges to other companies methods. It's the people skill's and "whats it like" I want to gain and know.

Another question...Is it possible to relocate to another local area HUB(IE: from "Dallas" hub to "DFW Airport" HUB) without loosing senority?
Definitelytry the delivery thing for a few weeks. You're either made for it or not. You either love routing boxes and working under extreme pressure with no boss on your back or you'd rather be in an office. I would only do it if I need money. If I want to get my feet wet with the whole courier thing, remember that you have a 30 day probation period in which you can switch back into the hub, mind you, you're not looking for a career in the hub.

At least where I work, our hub ("dallas") and the gateway ("DFW") are on the same seniority list. so to get from dallas to DFW, you have to put in time.

if it's a transfer, that's another matter. cachsux is the man to ask about that one (but he's in the mid west, and possibly under a different contract than texas).

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
if it's a transfer, that's another matter. cachsux is the man to ask about that one (but he's in the mid west, and possibly under a different contract than texas).

I don't understand this about the Dallas HUB operation to the DFW GATEWAY operation. I'd think you'd get more hours in the HUB than the GATEWAY but I could be wrong. As to CACH...his contract is very different from Texas since he's in the Chicago area. I don't know how this all works but the Chicago-area union contract is separately negotiated. 705Red is a steward in the Chicago area, I think. He can explain the differences much better than I can. I was an inside pt'er in the Chicago-area several years ago but the contract wasn't really an interest to me, so I never went looking. I had bigger problems--school and other BS. -Rocky