4-6;6-8 following distance

brostalss

Nearly impossible to do on Southern California freeways. My rule of thumb is to stay in the "gap" between the packs.

Love those minivans driving in formation blocking everyone and slowing down traffic. Allowing no one to get around them.

stink219

Every time we (safety committee) are asked what we can do to cut down injuries/accidents I always answer "lower the SPC". I get the stink eye from the boss and the meeting ends.
You know the truth and they know it too. They won't do what is correct. They do what they're told. It is all about putting less drivers out there. Overtime is cheaper than paying H&W and Pension. We (the union) cut all safety committees in our division because of it.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Your math is a bit off...your math includes one object moving and the other stationary. If you're both doing 35 miles an hour then you're following distance is closer to 2 car lengths. If you're doing 60 it doubles to about 4-5 lengths. Unless you're joking, you've obviously never done the count to check. Not knocking ya...just sayin. I actually really like the 10 point commentary and the 5 seeing habits. They're a really good tool for driving big trucks and my own vehicle. I'll teach my kids to drive with the same methods...only without the memorization.

BrownChoice

Your math is a bit off...your math includes one object moving and the other stationary. If you're both doing 35 miles an hour then you're following distance is closer to 2 car lengths. If you're doing 60 it doubles to about 4-5 lengths. Unless you're joking, you've obviously never done the count to check. Not knocking ya...just sayin. I actually really like the 10 point commentary and the 5 seeing habits. They're a really good tool for driving big trucks and my own vehicle. I'll teach my kids to drive with the same methods...only without the memorization.

exactly. It is a very safe way to drive when following. I honestly do not believe you have to memorize them.. Being a safe driver is being a safe driver. Its just another thing the company can take action on drivers when an incident happens, even if they are safe drivers..