8 keys lifting/loading & 5 keys to prevent slips and falls?

menotyou

bella amicizia
Excuse me? Strong work ethic? Who the hell do you think you are talking to? I have a Liberty Mutual Level III Case Manager complimenting me on how he has NEVER seen anyone work as hard as I am to get back to work. The Health and Safety manager in Albany constantly tells me I am the hardest workers she has ever had the pleasure to meet. No one pays my bills. I have worked my ***** of for what I have.

My father broke his back providing for us. Working 12 hour days, while the other carpenters were at the bar, he was bringing Local 278 into the 20th century. My grandfather broke his back as a carpenter, then BA, then Working for the AFL-CIO. Making sure you, and others like you, could provide for their families and put a roof over their heads.

You are a babbling buffoon.

Last edited:

stkbow

I had a DM standing behind an auditor who was quizzing my co-worker and myself on the 10 point commentary. I froze. I couldn't remember my own name, I froze so bad. Billy didn't do much better. The DM, who now has the airport, had his arms waving in the air, mouthing the words to it. She caught him. She told him that I needed more training and that she better never catch him coaching someone, again. The Keter Audit is meant to evaluate the effectiveness of how management trains, along with ensuring safety.

My father would have my head if I worked off the clock.
So why are you upset? He tried to help. if you would have known your stuff then NP ..there is such a thing as "good management". The Devil you now is better than the one you Don't

menotyou

bella amicizia
I wasn't in trouble and I wasn't mad at the DM. What are you reading? As I stated, I froze. I am not perfect, as some on here are. It is not our job to recite drivel on command. Deliver the packages, and service the customers. That is my job.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Did I ever question your work ethic or the way that you were raised? All I did was state the values that I was raised with so as to illustrate why I don't have a problem with spending a little of my free time learning material which, yes, I should be paid to do.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Please. You really do think I am stupid. By saying you were raised with a strong work ethic and that we were raised differently, what were you trying to imply? Please.

stkbow

I have a Liberty Mutual Level III Case Manager complimenting me on how he has NEVER seen anyone work as hard as I am to get back to work. The Health and Safety manager in Albany constantly tells me I am the hardest workers she has ever had the pleasure to meet.

I know "guys that have been blown up twice". two purple and a silver star. scarred as ****... I dragged a buddy to safety and sill advanced on the enemy went on to do that for years. came home and well still working not as well as I was but working. wow I wish they had a case manger III to tell me how good I'm doing

RockdaleEddie

Optimized
I have a Liberty Mutual Level III Case Manager complimenting me on how he has NEVER seen anyone work as hard as I am to get back to work. The Health and Safety manager in Albany constantly tells me I am the hardest workers she has ever had the pleasure to meet.

I know "guys that have been blown up twice". two purple and a silver star. scarred as ****... I dragged a buddy to safety and sill advanced on the enemy went on to do that for years. came home and well still working not as well as I was but working. wow I wish they had a case manger III to tell me how good I'm doing
After all that did ya have to remember to say "firm footing"...just kidding

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Get over it.
Learn the material and live it.

Not so difficult.

Do you know what is difficult...wait, why bother sharing common sense with anyone?

So what? You need to learn how to lift and lower.
Did you ever notice how someone moves when they are injured?

Gingerly and tentatively. Your injury forces you to use good body mechanics.
Watch someone with a back injury sit down...notice, the natural curve in the spine.

When it is so much easier to just do it your way with a little twist here a little twist over there...
Why get close? That is why God gave you arms.

Get close, position feet, bend knees, test weight, get a firm grip, lift smooth, move feet....get assistance, if needed.

Really...not that hard.

And I have absolutely no patience with anyone that willfully chooses, not to self improve because they are not on the clock or because it is not mandatory or in the contract.
Management should know this stuff and lead by example.
Office and sales staff are not exempt - either.

menotyou

bella amicizia
There's no willfully choosing. Personally, I hate to admit the countless hours I spent off the clock, along with my own money, to have charts of the routes that had been re-designed when PAS/EDD was added.
Charts that were poster board size so everyone, management included, could easily read them from afar.
What I don't understand is Expecting people to do it off the clock. It has become common practice. What is wrong with compensating people for their time. When I was hired, it was never an issue.

The Keter Audit is meant to evaluate the effectiveness of how management trains, along with ensuring safety.

A training auditor can't properly assess the effectiveness of training by testing for the verbatim memorization of procedural lists or acronyms and their meanings. As is true with most education, an honest test requires the evaluation of the trainees/students understanding and use of taught skills/knowledge.

I'm only a temp worker myself and I know this thread is old, but I've noticed some really unexpected things in my first few days at UPS, and researching them brought me here, so I'm just gonna go ahead and add them to this ancient but still relevant thread.

1) The memorization of acronyms & the words they stand for or lists of safety procedures is by no means the same thing as actually learning safe working practices.

2) Most people don't memorize what people say in detail, so having such list and acronyms said to people, then being expecting those people to be able to repeat it verbatim days later is silly. And not being able to recite the lists or remember what an acronym stands for does not mean that a person doesn't actually know safe work practices... I have personally received no employee manual, no UPS specific terms dictionary, nor any access to other educational materials from UPS. What I know I garnered from the fast paced general overview orientation, word of mouth, or from on-the-job direction, or somewhere other than UPS.

3) Also silly, businesses that unnecessarily create a language that's unique to their business, especially when they're referring to things that are common at a great many other employers, if not all of them--general safety procedures are pretty universal.

#3 is especially bad, as it creates unnecessary barriers for new hires and trainers, and it's horribly inefficient in most circumstances. Why not just call meetings meetings, or mandatory meetings (what does PCM even stand for)? Why call trailers feeders, are they not still trailers? Why have unique acronyms for common sense safety training? I checked, OSHA doesn't use them, nor do the national safety orgs in Canada or the UK or anywhere else I looked, instead they have common sense general instructions presented with normal layman's terminology, and though each was worded slightly differently they were practically the same.

Let's explore LEADS (slip, trip, and fall avoidance?) -- I've worked at dozens of jobs across several states, in completely different corners of the country. I've worked in food manufacturing warehouses, retail and grocery locations, kitchens, hotels, and in construction, et cetera. Regardless of the job, avoiding slips, trips, and falls can be best achieved by:

- maintaining an active awareness of your surroundings (this means knowing where hazards are or could be)
- wearing appropriate attire (example: non-slip boots (if appropriate))
- using the proper equipment, if applicable (example: safety harnesses)
- using equipment properly (examples: no extended leaning while on ladders, not standing/walking on conveyor belts)
- planning actions in advanced (in accordance with the above)
- executing your actions with care

I couldn't care less what each letter of LEADS stands for, but I do know the best practices for avoiding slips, trips, and falls. They don't change one employer to the next, so why would an employer want me to memorize 'how' they want to present that information in training, rather than actually be able to explain how to avoid slips, trips, and falls in my own words? This is a good example of bad teaching.

Note: I included active measures above, but preventative measures are worthy of note too: So clean up spills, and keep trash and cords and such out of the way (or otherwise minimize hazards when possible), and keep ladders or step-stools or what-have-yous in good working order.

Similarly, proper lifting techniques don't vary by employer. But you can add, or combine, or possibly even subtract, parts of the 8 keys for lifting, depending on 'how' you want to communicate safe lifting techniques. So like LEADS, new employees don't need to memorize the '8' part list verbatim, and UPS shouldn't care if they do. You should however still be able to learn to habitually use safe lifting techniques.

My modified, but functionally probably the same, heavy box/object moving technique list (I don't remember the UPS 8):

- test the weight, balance (at any employer, I've personally done this with every new box/object as I start moving it, or before, not just heavy ones--but lighter/smaller ones usually don't require power lifting/moving techniques to move safely)
- square your feet under your shoulders (this is pretty natural for most; they should usually be there anyway, less you're actively moving/walking/running)
- lower your hips just below the heavy thing or as close to it as you can comfortably (if what you are lifting is not on the ground you likely don't need to squat all the way to the floor)
- get a clean grip on the box with your hands (usually one below and one on the far side, but some box or object shapes require unique hand placement)
- if standing up from lowering your waist or squatting, lift with your legs
- avoid turning or twisting unnecessarily while carrying anything heavy
- if placing the box below you waist, also lower with your legs, opposite to how you lifted the object

There are various other additions you could make: You could choose to be inclusive of preventative measures to ensure safe heavy object moving (clear your path); You could include 2-person lifting info; You could include the usage of lifting tools that may be handy... the list could get really really long. But then that's another reason why list memorization is not generally a good teaching practice.

And of course, and unfortunately, you can't always follow good heavy-object moving form anyway. Environmental hazards like other objects and space limitations sometimes make it a requirement to lean more than you should, twist more than you should, or lift an object higher than you would normally. For example, I was recently scolded for how I lifted some heavy wire on a thrashed wooden spool, but I most certainly was not going to hug the spool and get skewered by splinters or allow the splintered wood to shred my clothing while lifting it tight against me from a squat. I got close, placed my legs close but not against it, leaned 'and' lowered myself to it at my knees/hips and jerked it up while standing (similar to an olympic clean & jerk) so that it was out in front of me at about chest level but not against me, then I walked it up a couple stairs to a belt and set it down carefully. I had already tested the weight before. It wasn't so heavy that I couldn't have thrown it, or just tossed it on my shoulder and carried it around with ease. It was just heavy enough to be a bit awkward holding it out just in front of me, like a case of water bottles might be...

Also, I've seen plenty of veteran UPS Package Handlers (all the ones I've seen) regularly jerk up and twist to swing large and very heavy packages on to a belt or roller, so there's clearly a difference between knowing good technique and using good technique.

UPS should actually just have new people practice safe lifting with various practice boxes during orientation, as well as tour the warehouse if it can be done safely, not just talk about 'some' stuff and/or show a few lame videos. Pah, bad teaching/training practices all over the place. I expected much better from UPS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

PCM---Prework Communication Meeting

LEADS-----Look before stepping, establish firm footing, adjust for changing conditions, don't run----walk at a brisk pace, scan the area that you are approaching.

You are 100% correct in that memorizing the material is worthless if the material is not put in to use on a daily basis; however, it would be nearly impossible for an auditor to personally observe everyone during their shift.

If you don't feel that the safety environment is adequate to suit your needs you can either step up and volunteer to be a safety captain or you can go work someplace else. It is a warehouse------people are going to do stupid :censored2:.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
PCM---Prework Communication Meeting

LEADS-----Look before stepping, establish firm footing, adjust for changing conditions, don't run----walk at a brisk pace, scan the area that you are approaching.

You are 100% correct in that memorizing the material is worthless if the material is not put in to use on a daily basis; however, it would be nearly impossible for an auditor to personally observe everyone during their shift.

If you don't feel that the safety environment is adequate to suit your needs you can either step up and volunteer to be a safety captain or you can go work someplace else. It is a warehouse------people are going to do stupid :censored2:.

safety captain

Yeah that’ll get things straightened out

lmao