9 Recession-Proof Stocks

Discussion in 'The Latest UPS Headlines' started by cheryl, Jun 27, 2008.

  1. cheryl

    cheryl I started this. Staff Member

    9 Recession-Proof Stocks - Motley Fool

    I'll be frank: Right now is a terrible time to let yourself get psyched out of the market, particularly out of high-quality businesses. Short-sighted, panicky investors are practically tripping all over themselves to sell shares of outstanding businesses: names like Paychex, UPS, and American Express. They are selling. You should be buying.
     
  2. BigBrownSanta

    BigBrownSanta New Member

    Is it just my browser, or was ups not mentioned once in this article?
     
  3. moreluck

    moreluck golden ticket member

    UPS is mentioned in the very first paragraph of Cheryl's post before you even click to go to the story.
     
  4. BigBrownSanta

    BigBrownSanta New Member

    Yeah, I read that part, but when I clicked through on the link, my phone's browser jumbled the webpage. I thought maybe I was missing something.
     
  5. moreluck

    moreluck golden ticket member

    Here's what was mentioned in the article.......

    "I'll be frank: Right now is a terrible time to let yourself get psyched out of the market, particularly out of high-quality businesses. Short-sighted, panicky investors are practically tripping all over themselves to sell shares of outstanding businesses: names like Paychex (Nasdaq: PAYX), UPS (NYSE: UPS), and American Express (NYSE: AXP). They are selling. You should be buying."
     
  6. freeloader

    freeloader geek

    And just what logic is he using to say that UPS is recession proof?
     
  7. Greed

    Greed Guest

    Blah...nothing is recession proof. We've had recessions based on a multitude of variables. Right now it's the sub-prime mess coupled with the housing bubble bursting and $144/barrel oil.

    I do agree that some stocks have been beaten up a bit too much. If you look at "beta"/risk or a comparison between S&P500 dropping 13% YTD there are some good bargains out there for high quality stocks. At $58 a share, I'd say UPS is a pretty safe bet or even moreso...GE. GE has been obliterated and is down to $26 a share and could easily pop to $40+ in the next year (which would yield you a 54% return + a 4.5% div yield for a total return of 58.5%)

    Just some food for thought.....however....the fed was thinking the recession would subside by Q3 & Q4 of this year...now it's looking like early to mid 2009 things may turn around.

    Not a good time to sell, but a good time to buy....selectively. You should all be dollar-cost averaging!! Buy shares low now...and get more shares for your $.