A Good Peak Season Memory?

UPSGUY72

I had to tell a helper that he didn't need to look in the windows of the houses when he knock on the doors. I had him one day and if it wasn't for him not have cell phone service it would have been less than 1 hour.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
One does not have to look long or hard to find someone in worse shape or having more problems or in need of help.
That reminds me that I need to write a check for someone I know needing help.

While that would be a noble gesture, knowing you as we do, I believe your time to be more valuable.
I've been reading about your surplus of time these days?

While that would be a noble gesture, knowing you as we do, I believe your time to be more valuable.
I've been reading about your surplus of time these days?
His surplus of time and my knowledge of what these guys actually get in there retirement has me feeling greatly under under-compensated. Fat cats live large and sleep all day while ill retire and get another gig.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
His surplus of time and my knowledge of what these guys actually get in there retirement has me feeling greatly under under-compensated. Fat cats live large and sleep all day while ill retire and get another gig.

Actually, I was really surprised at how much some of the drivers had quoted on here after only working 25 years. It is more than management gets.
My working for 40 years will not get me as much as some of the drivers after only 25 - 30 years.
I'm cool with that though personally. Many other management are resentful.

PS - I'm not referring to those drivers whose retirement funds were wasted/embezzled by the Teamsters. :wink2:

OptimusPrime

Actually, I was really surprised at how much some of the drivers had quoted on here after only working 25 years. It is more than management gets.
My working for 40 years will not get me as much as some of the drivers after only 25 - 30 years.

PS - I'm not referring to those drivers whose retirement funds were wasted/embezzled by the Teamsters. :wink2:

No wear and tear on your body has to have a pretty hefty price tag. I see some of these guys and get worried. I started at 31. They started damn near ten years younger.

Dude I might keep a 30 pack of miller highlife in my truck bed but I'm not stupid. You're rich and you know it. Hard knock life I don't think so.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
1) Your stock
2) your 401k match
3) your dividend
4) your pension
5) come on man you have about 1.8 million in stock.
6) Who you fooling? Not me

The only thing that is comparable is the pension and the healthcare.

1) You and other drivers (and many did invest) had the ability to buy stocks or other investments just as I did with UPS stock. Most management's monthly salary is about the same as a driver working 45 hours per week.

2) The 401 k match is 3% match - better than nothing but not much. The Teamsters never negotiated that into the contracts and in fact they fought against it. They wanted the money where they could get their hands on it - the pension funds.

3) Dividends is a function of the stock - which does not have to be UPS stock.

4) My pension we have already discussed.

5) I own very little UPS stock - I have sold it and reinvested over the years and will have none by 1/1/2013.
UPS stock is not that great a stock due to the low yield on it's dividends. I own over 20 stocks that pay better dividends than UPS stock does.
Bottom line - UPS needs to be making more profits and paying higher percent dividends before I would be interested in owning any.
The outlook for that happening is very bleak since UPS pays very high Union wages and has pension obligations that weigh it down versus the competition that does not.
While UPS stock is not that great, the main reason I will own none is that my pension and healthcare is coming from UPS funds. It does not make sense to have that much concentration of my cash flow and wealth tied up with UPS.

6) No one has to try and fool you ... you take care of that yourself. :wink:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The only thing that is comparable is the pension and the healthcare.

1) You and other drivers (and many did invest) had the ability to buy stocks or other investments just as I did with UPS stock. Most management's monthly salary is about the same as a driver working 45 hours per week.

2) The 401 k match is 3% match - better than nothing but not much. The Teamsters never negotiated that into the contracts and in fact they fought against it. They wanted the money where they could get their hands on it - the pension funds.

3) Dividends is a function of the stock - which does not have to be UPS stock.

4) My pension we have already discussed.

5) I own very little UPS stock - I have sold it and reinvested over the years and will have none by 1/1/2013.
UPS stock is not that great a stock due to the low yield on it's dividends. I own over 20 stocks that pay better dividends than UPS stock does.
Bottom line - UPS needs to be making more profits and paying higher percent dividends before I would be interested in owning any.
The outlook for that happening is very bleak since UPS pays very high Union wages and has pension obligations that weigh it down versus the competition that does not.
While UPS stock is not that great, the main reason I will own none is that my pension and healthcare is coming from UPS funds. It does not make sense to have that much concentration of my cash flow and wealth tied up with UPS.

6) No one has to try and fool you ... you take care of that yourself. :wink:

Ok, that being said, 1.8 million as a net result of your stock compensation is way low for a man with your tenure.

Good for you, seriously.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Some years ago I was delivering to an office where I had to walk down a short corridor and around a bend to reach the receptionist's desk. When I did turn the corner the receptionist smiled and mentioned how much she liked hearing the jingling of our keys on our fingers this time of year, bearing gifts like Santa on his sleigh. I do not celebrate Christmas, but her comment made me smile that day, and still elicits one now.

Yesterday as I completed my delivery at a house and got back on the truck, a young man shouted out "Sir!" When I turned around he handed me a Coke and said, "Just wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas! Here's a couple of candy canes as well!". The kindness one finds this time of year is very refreshing, however hard that peak day might be.

For the past several weeks my helper has been in a rather foul mood. He was pushed over the top on Friday when he saw the dues come out of his check and wanted to quit then, but said he'd stay to help me finish. Before he left I slipped him an envelope thanking him for his service this peak. He came close to crying, thanked me effusely (?), and begged me to let him help on Monday as well.

Last edited:
Is there anything that happened during a Peak Season that, when you think about it, brings a smile to your face? Mine is when I was delivering in an older residential area. It was dark already, the temp was around 30 and snowing lightly. As I stepped out of my P800 the air was full of the smell of fireplaces burning in the neighborhood. Christmas lights glistened off the snow already on the ground and, looking at the package, I could tell it was a Christmas gift that was ordered for one of the children in the house. The same feeling happened many times that night and it was probably the best 2 hours of delivering I ever have had. Every time I thing about that, it brings a smile to my face. Do any of you out there have any such memories?

Even though this post is a few years old I still find it pertinent at this time of year....anything bring a smile to your face in the peak of 2014.

Ms.PacMan

This is an old story and it was bad but it still makes me laugh.

I give whoever is my preloader money in a card and usually something edible. I bought the guy a huge tin of honey roasted peanuts and put them in a gift bag and set them on the dining room table. The gifts from customers were also on that table. Christmas Eve I grab the tin and the card and take them to work.....

Christmas Day at my mother's house and she was asking what I got for gifts etc and I also told her what I got the preloader and my sisters, not quite hearing what we were talking about, chimed in that the honey roasted peanuts were really good!

They had gone thru my gifts and eaten whatever they wanted! I didn't even notice and gave my preloader the half eaten tin of peanuts! I couldn't wait to go to work and apologize to him!

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Last peak 4 of us met up for lunch at a gas station on Christmas eve. Management didn't call us and used ODSe to find us then just showed up with like 100 packages spilling out of their personal cars. They came into the gas station freaking out like come on guys, load up and get this delivered. We laughed and continued with lunch.
50 minutes later we went outside.
==