A President with a Phone & a Pen

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Wielding A Pen And A Phone, Obama Goes It Alone - npr
President Obama has a new phrase he's been using a lot lately:
"I've got a pen, and I've got a phone."
He's talking about the tools a president can use if Congress isn't giving him what he wants: executive actions and calling people together. It's another avenue the president is using to pursue his economic agenda.

"I am going to be working with Congress where I can to accomplish this, but
I am also going to act on my own if Congress is deadlocked," he said at an education event at the White House on Thursday.
"I've got a pen to take executive actions where Congress won't, and I've got a telephone to rally folks around the country on this mission."

President Obama has alluded to his pen and his phone as two tools that help him act without getting congressional approval.
463345181_18261195_wide-d8cd7eb4587f864737aff080253ca3c9d49edd4d-s800-c85.jpg

It will be fine

He's talking about the tools a president can use if Congress isn't giving him what he wants: executive actions and calling people together. It's another avenue the president is using to pursue his economic agenda.

I am also going to act on my own if Congress is deadlocked," he said at an education event at the White House on Thursday.
"I've got a pen to take executive actions where Congress won't, and I've got a telephone to rally folks around the country on this mission."

President Obama has alluded to his pen and his phone as two tools that help him act without getting congressional approval.
I miss having a president that could string together multiple coherent sentences.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
'I've Got a Pen and I've Got a Phone': Obama's Executive Overreach Becomes Trump's Executive Overreach
The dangers of unchecked executive power.

In December 2007 presidential candidate Barack Obama told The Boston Globe that if he won the 2008 election, he would enter the White House committed to rolling back the sort of overreaching executive power that had characterized the presidency of George W. Bush. "The President is not above the law," Obama insisted.
Once elected, however, President Obama began to sing a different sort of tune. "We're not just going to be waiting for legislation," Obama announced. "I've got a pen and I've got a phone...and I can use that pen to sign executive orders and take executive actions and administrative actions."

Obama's pen and phone did not sit idle. For example, despite the fact that the Constitution grants Congress, not the president, the authority "to declare war," Obama unilaterally declared war on Libya in 2011. Similarly, despite the fact that the Constitution requires the Senate to confirm all presidential appointments to high office, except in those limited circumstances in which the Senate is not available to act because it is in recess, Obama unilaterally placed multiple officials in high office without senatorial approval during a period in which the Senate was still in session.

To make matters worse, many of Obama's fervent liberal supporters pretended to see nothing wrong with such obvious abuses of executive power.
Obama-signing-WH-Flickr.jpg

El Correcto

god is dead
'I've Got a Pen and I've Got a Phone': Obama's Executive Overreach Becomes Trump's Executive Overreach
The dangers of unchecked executive power.

In December 2007 presidential candidate Barack Obama told The Boston Globe that if he won the 2008 election, he would enter the White House committed to rolling back the sort of overreaching executive power that had characterized the presidency of George W. Bush. "The President is not above the law," Obama insisted.
Once elected, however, President Obama began to sing a different sort of tune. "We're not just going to be waiting for legislation," Obama announced. "I've got a pen and I've got a phone...and I can use that pen to sign executive orders and take executive actions and administrative actions."

Obama's pen and phone did not sit idle. For example, despite the fact that the Constitution grants Congress, not the president, the authority "to declare war," Obama unilaterally declared war on Libya in 2011. Similarly, despite the fact that the Constitution requires the Senate to confirm all presidential appointments to high office, except in those limited circumstances in which the Senate is not available to act because it is in recess, Obama unilaterally placed multiple officials in high office without senatorial approval during a period in which the Senate was still in session.

To make matters worse, many of Obama's fervent liberal supporters pretended to see nothing wrong with such obvious abuses of executive power.
Obama-signing-WH-Flickr.jpg
This isn’t new, we are regressing into a dictatorship. Most of congresses functions are now passed off to executive branch administrative bodies.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
ITT: Old Man Dingleberry keeps trying to tell us Obama did the same thing Trump just did.
Not the same thing specifically but in essence, "Yes Obama and Trump EOs are pretty much the same thing."
Bypassing Congress and putting programs in place that cost the US Taxpayers ...
without getting funding approved by Congress as specified in the US Constitution.

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

I actually heard this mentioned many times during his presidency. Be careful it may look like an easy way to get what you want but you’re expanding powers for all future presidents also.

If it was implemented with a pen it can be negated with a pen.

vantexan

ITT: Old Man Dingleberry keeps trying to tell us Obama did the same thing Trump just did.
What you aren't getting is Trump is using actual law to get what he wants. Obama bypassed Congress with executive orders concerning things that were constitutionally under Congressional authority. The Republicans were just too chicken to challenge him on it. That's never been an issue for Dems, if they don't get their way they squeal like stuck pigs.