A small nugget of what is sure to be many changes in the coming weeks

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If we packages that are not in our EDD and the address is not in our DIAD we can still deliver the packages by using the Override button to force the address in to the board.

On those rare Saturdays when I was asked to work I would try to deliver as much of the non-Saturday air as I could at stops that had Saturday air. The businesses appreciated it and it was less work for the driver on Monday.

FedEx2000

The goal is to roll out DRA at 45 locations in the 2nd quarter, 45 in the 3rd quarter, and 38 in the 4th quarter, to go along with the 12 stations that are currently in beta testing. It will not be a nationwide rollout by any means. Of the approx. 500 stations, there are about 140 on Saturday DRA now, the same amount they hope to have fully on line by the end of FY2013.

Ricochet1a

R1a - there's been speculation (since we're never told anything) that you won't be able to scan packages due the next day, even if you have to go there anyway.....true?

First off, my sources of information are primarily at district level and above, so on specific details on how a procedure is to be performed - I'm a bit in the dark. I have to rely on my past experience as a Courier and a few current Couriers which I communicate with occasionally to get clarification on issues such as the one that you brought up.

With that in mind...

Supposedly the route is "constructed" before the AM sort even begins (anyone who can either confirm or deny this, speak up).

Since routes are constructed by the software with volume that is due the current day - I'm going to have to imagine that the system would reject this. In all honesty, I can't speak with authority on this, since I didn't receive a complete "operator's manual" to DRA - only reports of results and samples of route plotting. I don't even know if an "operator's manual" exists for DRA, since it is technically being tested and issues being corrected.

Ricochet1a

My manager was at the meeting and heard us tell him what we need. If management doesn't care, I won't either. I don't let it bother me anymore.

Right now, they aren't worried about "optimizing" for things such as rail crossings, construction, etc. they are just trying to get it to work well enough that they have: the ability to send out someone with no route knowledge and get off volume in a predictable manner, are able to make a rather accurate prediction as to time on road for a Courier taking out a certain amount of volume.

They want to make the experienced Courier obsolete, that is the goal as of now. In coming years, optimizing the software to account for such items you have listed will obviously be a goal, but now that isn't the overriding concern right now.

It has been awhile since I worked for Express, but with the plot maps that the DRA software generated (from the sampling of actual routes I received that used them a week ago Saturday) I could get back into a truck and get that volume off (in a city which I've never set foot in), and not had any difficulty.

I did do Saturday deliveries as a Courier, and it was hell getting a route which I knew little about and trying to get an optimized stop order before leaving the building, then to actually get in the field and accurately locate those addresses while not spending too much time looking at a map for driving directions to the next stop. With the maps the DRA generates (with all delivery locations plotted out very precisely and numbered), I'd imagine an 8th grader could do the "navigating" (leaving someone a bit older to actually operate the truck).

vantexan

Right now, they aren't worried about "optimizing" for things such as rail crossings, construction, etc. they are just trying to get it to work well enough that they have: the ability to send out someone with no route knowledge and get off volume in a predictable manner, are able to make a rather accurate prediction as to time on road for a Courier taking out a certain amount of volume.

They want to make the experienced Courier obsolete, that is the goal as of now. In coming years, optimizing the software to account for such items you have listed will obviously be a goal, but now that isn't the overriding concern right now.

It has been awhile since I worked for Express, but with the plot maps that the DRA software generated (from the sampling of actual routes I received that used them a week ago Saturday) I could get back into a truck and get that volume off (in a city which I've never set foot in), and not had any difficulty.

I did do Saturday deliveries as a Courier, and it was hell getting a route which I knew little about and trying to get an optimized stop order before leaving the building, then to actually get in the field and accurately locate those addresses while not spending too much time looking at a map for driving directions to the next stop. With the maps the DRA generates (with all delivery locations plotted out very precisely and numbered), I'd imagine an 8th grader could do the "navigating" (leaving someone a bit older to actually operate the truck).

Will they even need swing drivers with this? Someone calls in sick, throw whoever on the rt.

SmithBarney

Hey who knows maybe with all the time this "saves" us... we could talk to customers and make sales leads..
Nope, because the time it saves example 20minutes, that means your route will have 20 minutes more area to deliver... ;)

HomeDelivery

UpstateNYUPSer said:
If we packages that are not in our EDD and the address is not in our DIAD we can still deliver the packages by using the Override button to force the address in to the board.

ditto at HD division & Ground; we can hit "yes" to the question, "do you want to add this package to your route?"

vantexan said:
Will they even need swing drivers with this? Someone calls in sick, throw whoever on the rt.

that's the idea; it works at HD for a number of years now (i am a swing/cover driver since 2006). It's not perfect, because in my division, it doesn't say business vs residential, & which entry point to use / any gate or apt entry codes... but it gets the job done.