A300-600s grounded by FAA

airbusfxr

UPS Airlines has grounded the A300s till an inspection on the tail section has been completed. The FAA is VERY involved in the situation.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
airbusfxer,
How many of these does UPS operate? I thought our fleet was kept in better condition than most of the passenger airlines.

Big Babooba

UPS Airlines has grounded the A300s till an inspection on the tail section has been completed. The FAA is VERY involved in the situation.

airbusfxer,
How many of these does UPS operate? I thought our fleet was kept in better condition than most of the passenger airlines.
My opinion is that it might be a design flaw with the A300 and not a maintenance problem. It was an A300 that crashed in Queens, NY back in November 2001. The rudder and vertical stabilizer snapped of on that one.

worldwide

"UPS Airlines has grounded the A300s till an inspection on the tail section has been completed."

UPS has grounded 53 of its its jet fleet (20%) and there is no mention in the press, on the UPS site, on the UPS pilots site, the FAA site or any professional pilots site?

Is this what you are referring to?

April 14, 2008
"The FAA also ordered carriers flying certain Airbus aircraft to reinforce part of the fuselage due to the "potential loss of structural integrity ... during extreme rolling and vertical maneuver combinations." That directive applies to 160 planes in the U.S. and could cost up to $16,160 per aircraft. Operators, including American, United Parcel Service and FedEx Corp., must make the changes within 2,500 flight cycles of the May 19 effective date."

Any link you can provide to the grounding story would be appreciated.

This is inside info that shouldn't have been let out.

NO ONE HAS REPORTED ON THIS YET. They probably won't. Repeating these sort of things CAN GET YOU FIRED. Especially if the original poster is 2727.

The FAA did not ground our airbusses.

A scheduled inspection revealed an issue in one tail, when reported internally it was found somewhere else. We grounded our own planes for inspections to prevent losses.