Accident while in packet

D

Did the Helicopter land

In my district it's only an accident if you run into a police car or it the medivac unit as dispatched.

Call the tow truck used in your area or ask tour mechanic. How many UPS trucks were towed out of yards without an accident reported?

agbrown

In my district it's only an accident if you run into a police car or it the medivac unit as dispatched.

Call the tow truck used in your area or ask tour mechanic. How many UPS trucks were towed out of yards without an accident reported?

Yes, it is a little fishy to me. I was talking with a TCD who had been doing the route I was...funny thing, he got stuck in mud on that same day I did, but he didn't manage to get out on his own power; had to get a tow truck. Unfortunately, I don't know if they called it an accident or not, because the center manager canned me minutes later. I also found out that I ran 15 minutes bonus on my last day (day after the incident..5 days left in packet).

Which leads me to another question -- Should I just go ahead and tell the customer to file a claim with UPS? I was about to go over there this weekend to fix up her yard w/my own time and money, but now...

What negatives would there be for me, if any? It seems I'll have an accident on my record now, whether she files a claim or not.

Griff

If you planned on fixing it yourself, you shouldn't of reported it to the center team. I'll probably get flammed for saying that, but look at what happens when you do everything by the book. I treat the center team like mushrooms, feed them crap and keep them in the dark. Tell the customer you got fired and to file a claim with UPS, doing it out of your pocket at this point would be nothing short of insane.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I'm just curious: do you they outright terminate you or do you go back to your inside job if you have an accident while in your packet? -Rocky

Griff

I'm just curious: do you they outright terminate you or do you go back to your inside job if you have an accident while in your packet? -Rocky

Back to your inside job. You're still a PT employee on the books until you're finished your 30 day trial.

tieguy

Banned
follow up = I got DQ'ed this morning.

On Friday, center manager said all was good so long as customer didn;t file a claim. Told me not to let it get to me during driving.

Over the weekend I spoke to customer. Extremely nice and very reasonable. She was taken aback by my note and thought I didn't need to report it to UPS (too late). I planned on going over there this coming weekend to repair it out of my own pocket.

Center manager said he talked with some safety mgr and was told he had to report it as an accident. Hands were tied. A steward was there, but he just backed up what mgr was saying. So much for integrity and putting your people first.

Can I suggest we would have shown no integrity if we didn't call it in?

If the center manager covers it up and the customer calls in a complaint then the center manager could lose his job for covering up an accident ( really an incident) Even though this is really more an incident rather then an accident it still has to be called in. That way liberty mutual has a record of the incident should the customer file for damages.

tieguy

Banned
If you planned on fixing it yourself, you shouldn't of reported it to the center team. I'll probably get flammed for saying that, but look at what happens when you do everything by the book. I treat the center team like mushrooms, feed them crap and keep them in the dark. Tell the customer you got fired and to file a claim with UPS, doing it out of your pocket at this point would be nothing short of insane.

Better to risk getting fired for dishonesty for not reporting it?

agbrown

I went back to the hub tonight but they wouldn't let me resume my previous job as a high volume pickoff (which I had been performing quite well for the past 5 years). I argued with the FT sup, got nowhere. Hopefully tomorrow. This keeps getting better and better. :crying:

Anyway, thanks again for all of the advice and encouragement, guys.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I went back to the hub tonight but they wouldn't let me resume my previous job as a high volume pickoff (which I had been performing quite well for the past 5 years). I argued with the FT sup, got nowhere. Hopefully tomorrow. This keeps getting better and better. :crying:

Anyway, thanks again for all of the advice and encouragement, guys.

You'll get it back--provided there isn't a higher seniority guy doing it now. Sad about the driving thing, dude. Try it again a year? -Rocky

agbrown

Yeah, that's what I thought too. I've got three times the seniority of anyone in that area, but the FT sup is saying that high volume pickoff job is not based off of seniority. pfft

krash

Go big orange
Yeah, that's what I thought too. I've got three times the seniority of anyone in that area, but the FT sup is saying that high volume pickoff job is not based off of seniority. pfft
All jobs are subject to seniority. File on him big time:thumbup1: Then start filing on every sup who looks at a pkg too long:lol:

Griff

Better to risk getting fired for dishonesty for not reporting it?

Over half the drivers you dispatch can be fired any given day of the week for being "dishonest". Terms like dishonest and integrity don't belong in the UPS vocabulary because they are twisted, stretched, and molded beyond definition. It isn't dishonest, he knew he did something wrong and was willing to fix it on his own time and dime. Only at UPS could something like that be carved into a dishonesty issue. I'm not saying never call anything in, but dinky stuff like this is a complete joke and gets blown out of proportion.

hoser

Industrial Slob
Center manager said he talked with some safety mgr and was told he had to report it as an accident. Hands were tied. A steward was there, but he just backed up what mgr was saying. So much for integrity and putting your people first.
you still did the right thing

When I was in driver training school, the safety sup. defined an accident as "A collision between a UPS vehicle and another object that causes damage to the UPS vehicle or other object"

From what you described, I don't think you vehicle caused any damage. I mean, lets think about this. The fix was to fill a hole with dirt. Is this really damage?

It also depends on how manicured their yard was. If you put a whole in a lawn that was just sodded the day before, than I would call that an accident.

grass is an object. how nice it looked makes no difference.

hitting a 1982 buick century or a 2006 nissan x-terra makes no difference. they're both objects struck out of negligence.

Over half the drivers you dispatch can be fired any given day of the week for being "dishonest". Terms like dishonest and integrity don't belong in the UPS vocabulary because they are twisted, stretched, and molded beyond definition. It isn't dishonest, he knew he did something wrong and was willing to fix it on his own time and dime. Only at UPS could something like that be carved into a dishonesty issue. I'm not saying never call anything in, but dinky stuff like this is a complete joke and gets blown out of proportion.
it's done out of principle. if you're not honest over a rut in grass, you likely won't be honest reporting your time cards. the employer pays you, they expect some honesty.

right actions are right. wrong actions are wrong. green means go, red means stop. causing $10 in damage to an object is the same as causing $1 000 000 damage to an object. it's damage. you may deal with it differently and it may have been caused by different things, but it's damage. don't like it? go work for fedex.

browniehound

"So just chalk it up as a lesson learned."

No, they suck. What a foolish thing to call that an accident. It was GRASS! We work for a foolish company.

Then they wonder why no-one will get them more volume!

Over,
I have to agree with you. It shouldn't be an accident, at most it should be an "incident". We're out there bustin our butts, following the 5 seeing habits, being the safest drivers on the road, and then we lose our safe driving years, get PCM'ed on our "accident", have our sup. up our butts on a ride for a day, all for a mark in a lawn:mad:.

Personally, I think too many people are way too serious about the look of thier freaking grass. Is it a freaking contest to have the best looking lawn on the block? At the least, a perfect lawn is bad for the environment. The chemicals needed to kill the weeds is bad enough, but we're using fresh water during the dryest months to keep it green. All this is happening while there are people in this world drinking the same water they deficate in:mad:

UPS Lifer

"So just chalk it up as a lesson learned."

No, they suck. What a foolish thing to call that an accident. It was GRASS! We work for a foolish company.

Then they wonder why no-one will get them more volume!

When things don't go right and that is more times that not, I ofter read quotes about some sort of retaliation against the company...like, "no volume" or "slow down" or "sick out". Just remember, YOU are the COMPANY. When the company loses you lose. I know things like this can be disheartening but this is a lesson learned to help promote change that affects you because you are the company.

Remember there are always 3 sides to a story. (I am sure that someone in this forum said this!).

1 - Agbrown's side
2 - Mgmt side
3 - The truth

So, push for an investigation and find out what could have been done different and better so that this doesn't happen again.

There are a lot of different questions to ask.
Was the trainee negligent?
Was this a training issue?
Was the work load acceptable for the skill level?
What other conditions persisted?
What is the trainee's overall attitude (eg. training acceptance level)
Are there are circumstances that prevented Agbrown's success as a driver?

Griff

causing $10 in damage to an object is the same as causing $1 000 000 damage to an object. it's damage. you may deal with it differently and it may have been caused by different things, but it's damage. don't like it? go work for fedex.

Ignorance. I hope you're a center manager or higher with that delusional alarmist mindset of yours. If not, you're the most brainwashed driver I've ever heard of.

tieguy

Banned
Over,
I have to agree with you. It shouldn't be an accident, at most it should be an "incident". We're out there bustin our butts, following the 5 seeing habits, being the safest drivers on the road, and then we lose our safe driving years, get PCM'ed on our "accident", have our sup. up our butts on a ride for a day, all for a mark in a lawn:mad:.

Personally, I think too many people are way too serious about the look of thier freaking grass. Is it a freaking contest to have the best looking lawn on the block? At the least, a perfect lawn is bad for the environment. The chemicals needed to kill the weeds is bad enough, but we're using fresh water during the dryest months to keep it green. All this is happening while there are people in this world drinking the same water they deficate in:mad:

Dude,
If your dog ****s on my lawn.... I shoot your dog and then file charges against you for littering my yard with your dead dog. :thumbup1:

I spend too much money on fertilizer , grass seed , water and sprinklers to be happy if you leave tire tracks on my lawn. A nice lawn is a necessity if you want to get full value out of the investment you put into your house. Not taking care of it is like having a peeling paint job on your mercedes.

UPS Lifer

Ignorance. I hope you're a center manager or higher with that delusional alarmist mindset of yours. If not, you're the most brainwashed driver I've ever heard of.

Come on Griff - All he is saying is an accident is an accident - no matter what the damage. Maybe it is only a Tier 1 but it is still an accident.

If it were your yard how would you feel? Don't tell me you would be OK with it!

browniehound

Dude,
If your dog ****s on my lawn.... I shoot your dog and then file charges against you for littering my yard with your dead dog. :thumbup1:

I spend too much money on fertilizer , grass seed , water and sprinklers to be happy if you leave tire tracks on my lawn. A nice lawn is a necessity if you want to get full value out of the investment you put into your house. Not taking care of it is like having a peeling paint job on your mercedes.

Tie, do you happen to drive a SUV by any chance? Do you know what your "carbon footprint" happens to be? My guess its very large.(If its not, I stand corrected for making these assumptions as I don't know you at all) I understand a crappy lawn brings down the value of your home, but does it need to be flawless? I'm talking not 1 dandelion?

You're killing our birds, amphibians, and good insects just to protect your 100 square feet of grass. We Americans really need to get our priorities straight. Eventually what we do to our environment is going to affect our food source. Maybe it won't affect us or our kids, but maybe our grandkids.

Tie, I'm sorry to sound like an environmental nut here, but it seems like your attitude is: do whatever it takes to bring the property value up, no matter what. Am I wrong?

Griff

Come on Griff - All he is saying is an accident is an accident - no matter what the damage. Maybe it is only a Tier 1 but it is still an accident.

If it were your yard how would you feel? Don't tell me you would be OK with it!

The ignorant world of UPS, where having an actual automobile accident is in the same category as leaving a tire mark on someones lawn. As much as you retards in management would love to believe the world is black and white, there are shades of grey. I have a life, I don't need to pretend my front lawn is #18 at pebble beach.