Affirmative Action Struck Down By SCOTUS

vantexan

This is probably what he's talking about. Thomas wants to revisit 14th amendment due process cases but didn't include Loving v Virginia in his concurring opinion wish list last year.

"In a concurring opinion following the ruling, Thomas wrote that "we should reconsider all of this Court's substantive due process precedents, including Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell."

These cases protect the right to contraceptive access, same-sex relationships, and same-sex marriage, respectively.

Loving v. Virginia, which protects the right to interracial marriage and also concerns the due process clause of the 14th amendment, was not a part of Thomas' list."
So Bacha lied?

vantexan

I wonder why? Given that there's currently a very conservative 6 vote majority I wonder how Thomas would vote if the court decides to revisit Loving? Did he simply forget that Loving is part of the due process/14 Amendment rulings or is he cherry picking those parts he wants to overturn including those that would not affect him personally?
So he doesn't mention Loving and you interpret that in the worst possible way? It's a fantasy to think this conservative court is going to take away everyone's rights.

vantexan

Kavanaugh blatantly lied during his confirmation hearing, particularly regarding Roe. At least he had a chance to have a hearing, unlike Garland. The court should be 5-4.
Considering how Garland has weaponized the DOJ and has repeatedly lied to Congress I'm very glad he didn't get his SCOTUS chance.

vantexan

Thomas "escaped" through Affirmative Action, so that means his grades wouldn't have been high enough to get him into Yale based on merit. If Republicans had it their way, Blacks would still be ON plantations.
The Democratic Party controlled the South. It was a Republican who freed the slaves. It was Republicans marching with MLK. History helping.

rickyb

The Democratic Party controlled the South. It was a Republican who freed the slaves. It was Republicans marching with MLK. History helping.
no it was a movement, not lincoln

people scoffed at the activists who wanted to abolish slavery the same way anti capitalists are scoffed at today

vantexan

Is it unfair to admit someone because Mom, Dad or Grandpa went there? Legacy admissions should go away, and then Harvard will become about 75% Asian-American. That would be a meritocracy.
Which is why it's reprehensible what has been going on at elite universities. There are only so many slots available and basing acceptance on race rather than merit is blatantly unfair. Since universities are bastions of liberalism I guess to keep certain minorities voting Democratic they have to kowtow to them. The best academic achievers should get those spots no matter the race.

vantexan

no it was a movement, not lincoln

people scoffed at the activists who wanted to abolish slavery the same way anti capitalists are scoffed at today
I'm well aware of the abolitionist movement. But Lincoln used his authority to declare slaves free.

bacha29

They didn't take away abortion. They put it back on the states where it should have always been constitutionally. But let's scare monger before the '24 election.
Where red states continue to ban it leaving pregnant women to have to go to blue states for an abortion. I would love to see blue state HHS departments send red states the bill for services rendered.

vantexan

Where red states continue to ban it leaving pregnant women to have to go to blue states for an abortion. I would love to see blue state HHS departments send red states the bill for services rendered.
States are performing the abortions? Think of all the travel business generated. Taxes up the wazoo.