Age Discrimination !!!

diesel96

B4 Feeders,I've been assigned to the "old school" pkg car since I was a rookie,no power steering,high step to ground ratio,narrow doors etc..Never complained ,but no doubt breaking down my body even with "proper methods".

The wear and tear of years of service to ups,and the pain and fatigue contributes to our performance on road.Hence,the discrimination and the harrassment and injuries increase.

I feel ten years younger since driving feeders.(In fact I have to go out of my way to exercise)

Then along comes new vehicles being assigned to our bldg,and all these cry babies whinning and lobbying why they need the newer vehicles,most of these wussies were in there 20's/and early 30's(no offense to the 20/30 yr old drivers who take it like a man) and mngmt caved in to these cry babies.And guys would fake injuries and get a "doctors note" they have to have power steering.

Being that everything is based on senority with hourly employees,that should be the only consideration to who gets these newer UPS friendly vehicles. Adding longevity to "aging old school drivers",and limiting worker's comp claims should be priority.

Mr.Mgr dont use this lame excuse that pkg cars belong to routes.A P1000 is a P1000 whether it,s "old school" car or "new car",whether its a Freightliner,Ford,or Internatoinal whatever.
Stop assigning new or "like new" vehicles to your crybaby, brownnoseing,lunch skipping,work off the clock,under-allow drivers,and start assigning them by senority.

I'm sure Liberty Mutual would'nt have a problem with this,as a matter of fact as our Ins.Carrier they should enforce this or say ADDIOS to UPS.

Dfigtree

I Have Filed An Age Discrimination Case Against Ups . There Have Been Discussions In Management On Getting Rid Of The Older Drivers (over 40 ) Ups Employees , ( Cut The Fat ) Does Any Know Of Any Such Discussion ???
May as well add management to your suit. Those over 50 are getting demoted and generally harassed. They stay because they doo not want to screw the pension nor deal with the hassle. Good for you. A class action suit. Has it been filed? Where has it been filed? What law firm filed it? Sexual harassment might be a good one too. Has UPS put itself in a position where it could ever have a non-white female CEO or CIO or CFO? No and never will unless a court tells them to.

dillweed

Liberty Mutual is such a dirty word. :mad:

Anyway, I'm 50 year old female and have been around for about 15 years. Started in the unload, then loaded pkg cars for a long time. Several years ago they just took me off the preload and put me on an easier job. I still work harder than some of the young folks because I like it. But I'm not put on nasty bull work anymore. No one hassles me and even the young sups help bail me out when slammed. 'course I'm probably older than their mothers and bring them cookies. :lol:

UPS Lifer

.....could that have been because you were in management? hmmm.......

I know where you are going with that but....the difference is that I wasn't using the back and hip as an excuse not to do my job...I do realize that as a driver it would have taken me out.

but getting back to my job....
I didn't want to put myself in a position to experience any possibility of a negative reaction from the company. My experience showed me that we are no different than non-mgmt. If something doesn't seem kosher the company will go after mgmt just like non-mgmt. I didn't want to end my career that way.